Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2011 1:24am

Style: cult of crapple, ATTACK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Will travel for Judo, will dress like a ninjer for food.

So I have decided to take the plunge, and will travel up to rolla next tuesday for the adult class at thier judo club. Rugby season is unfortunately done and gone, so I'm off to new martial experiences. I'm simply looking for some beginner tips, as to how not to look like a total ass out there on the mat. I have some experience in collegiate style and greco-roman wrestling, a couple years worth of jits, and years and years of punching people. This all being said I feel very comfortable grappling with sweaty men, with no gi on. So this will be an experience. Here are some specific questions.

What is the ettiquite on shoot takedowns in judo? If I take a single in randori does that make me an asshole?

I have fought the entirety of my life without a gi, is it rude to ask how to apply certain throws and holds without the use of the gi?

Should I shut up and work, or is it polite to tell the instructor I have a little crappling experience before we get started? (then shut up and train?)

So I've gathered that Newaza is roughly jiu jitsu, and randori is sparring, what is a sparring partner?

Its it kosher to wear wrestling shoes and or headgear?

That is all, thank you very much for your time, plz dont flame me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2011 1:48am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm pretty noob, but lemme take a shot at it, it's worth seeing if I'm full of **** anyway, and if I'm right, it'll save the yudansha some time answering.

Yes, it makes you an asshole, basically kinda. The more accurate answer is, your instructor will probably not let you randori, but then, since you have experience, he might. Use your Judo to fight other Judoka, not your wrestling etc. Otherwise, you imply (fairly or not) that you don't find what they teach to be useful. And in any case, you're out there to learn Judo, yeh? That and, as you may have heard, (long story short) Mongolians made leg attacks illegal.

No, asking is fine... at least at my dojo. Err on the conservative side knowing that some clubs will differ from others. But, my senpai was working some no-gi judo over the weekend just for kicks; we know that no-gi is important.

Try something like this: "Sir, I've had W years of training in X, and Y years of training in Z, but I'm looking forward to learning some Judo." Keep an open mind. Also, yes, the shut up part is important. If I could go back and retroactively tell myself to follow my own god damn advice, I'd know as much as I do now, plus my technique would be better.

VERY roughly jiu jitsu. Randori is sparring, yes. I don't really understand your question. I'll just try, you'll probably go multiple rounds with different partners during a night's randori, much like in BJJ. Most of it will be standing, but again, depending on the club... Ask more if you need.

Don't wear the stuff. Also, you won't need it.

Good that you've taken up Judo. Good luck.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2011 1:51am

Style: cult of crapple, ATTACK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oplus View Post
    I'm pretty noob, but lemme take a shot at it, it's worth seeing if I'm full of **** anyway, and if I'm right, it'll save the yudansha some time answering.

Good that you've taken up Judo. Good luck.

Thank you very much, I appreciate you taking the time to cruise a bulleted list like that, any other nuggets youd like to throw out there?

Posted On:
    4/21/2011 4:21am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kenny_free View Post
    What is the ettiquite on shoot takedowns in judo? If I take a single in randori does that make me an asshole?
    You're there to do Judo right? You already know how to wrestle/ do a rugby tackle, so you're coming to Judo to learn Judo throws. Use Judo throws, because otherwise you'll never get good at them.

I have fought the entirety of my life without a gi, is it rude to ask how to apply certain throws and holds without the use of the gi?
    Learning to use the gi is a fine art and a fundamental skill. Don't see it as a hinderance see it as an advantage, knowing how to use the gi makes you infinitely more dangerous than not knowing.

Should I shut up and work, or is it polite to tell the instructor I have a little crappling experience before we get started? (then shut up and train?)
    Tell them you have a wrestling background, but are there to learn Judo. Then shut up and train.

So I've gathered that Newaza is roughly jiu jitsu, and randori is sparring, what is a sparring partner?
    Randori means 'free practice' or words to that effect and refers to both standing and groundwork. A sparring partner is your partner.

Headgear is acceptable but unnecessary. Wrestling shoes aren't acceptable you do Judo in barefeet.

That is all, thank you very much for your time, plz dont flame me.
    :Rage2:

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    4/21/2011 7:27am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look, you're new, you're going to do things that are wrong. That's expected, and not something anyone's seriously going to be bothered about. Just make sure that when you're told you're doing something wrong, you start making the effort to do it the right way.

Posted On:
    4/21/2011 11:16am

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Straight-up shoots of either kind are illegal in judo now - they can only be done in certain situations. Anyways, the point of randori is to learn, not to win - even if shoots were legal, why wouldn't you try out the new stuff you'll be learning?
    No, but that question leads to an attitude of always thinking "we do it this way in wrestling/BJJ, why do we do it different in judo"? You should be just focused on learning judo.
    The latter, I think.
    As others have said, randori is free practice either standing or on the ground. Your victim is called uke either way.
    No. Leave the rash guard at home, too.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    4/21/2011 12:19pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.