Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use what's we call a Spider man guard and we transition to lockdown and deep half guard. In failure of that I give people my back and work a weird "back guard" game.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    I use what's we call a Spider man guard and we transition to lockdown and deep half guard. In failure of that I give people my back and work a weird "back guard" game.
    Vids please.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    Could you please explain this 'spiderman' guard to the worthless blue belt.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Marcelo is the man.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are truths to grappling the same way there are truths to striking/fitness/etc...

Be lazy. It's not about being SUPER EXPLOSIVE or being able to go 110% for hours on end. The least amount of effort for maximum effect is what grappling is all about. It's why Judo/Greco-Roman/Freestyle/Sambo/BJJ etc... all have grips to set up throws/take downs. With or without a gi you need technique. Technique is there to make your life easier.

Marcelo just knows to make all the right moves at all the right times. He's like the grappling equivalent of watching a tai-chi master from those old 70's kung-fu movies just dancing around his enemies while kicking their asses at the same time.

Also you need to take into account that he's an great AND dedicated athlete. Those 2-3 hours classes we do, however many times a week would be like a vacation for him. He spend more time on the mat each week then he does ANYWHERE else (bed, home in general, where ever).

If you want to be world class any thing it's always the same. Conditioning + Drilling + Sparring.

How much? As much as humanly possible plus a little more.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm calling the spiderman guard a troll job until further explained.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Spider Man has a decent top game.
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I apologize, the spiderman guard is not a guard position it's a half guard position that comes from half butterfly guard. I take my feet and stick it to their calf. Whenever they try to move their calf I just go with them. It's uncannily effective. I just haven't perfected it so well that I can teach people all the different gambits that I use.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kayman101 View Post
    I'd really like to develop a more aggressive guard game considering my stocky frame. Triangles and arm bars don't seem to be in the cards for me.
    Collar chokes and elbow roll sweeps. Practice. Repeat.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Best thing I picked up from watching Marcelo and reading his book is his butterfly guard game.

The best stocky guys I know play x-guard, deep half and butterfly all transitioning between the three seamlessly. Double underhooks and double/single leg's are your friends as well from your butterfly guard.

Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last