Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/26/2011 7:07am

Style: MT/Ex-Judo NO SPRAWL?!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright guys.

I'm tried closing in. All this time I've always been very far, just trading kicks and timing the front leg.

So now I tried closing in just to get comfortable with fighting in closer range, I ate a bunch of punches but I got some in.:fuckyea:

I guess I really am just uncomfortable with range and suck at the whole punching game.

I probably will eat more punches, but I'll defend what I can and try to stay in that range more. I'll just keep in mind not to emulate a zombie and ignore the punches.:Determined:

Thanks for the replies.

BTW, is it OK to catch some punches on the skull and forehead? I mean, I don't plan on making a habit out of it, it's just that I'm already covering my temple and jaw and I don't wanna cover my eyes.
    Last edited by iopyud; 4/26/2011 7:38am at .

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    4/26/2011 9:22am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Taking shots on the forehead is OK as opposed to the jaw nose etc. but it isn't a great strategy as it can still upset your balance. To close distance safely practice following his retreating punches in. Or bob and weave forward. Once you make someone miss you can step in after the bob and be inside.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/26/2011 9:30am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by iopyud View Post
    Alright guys.

I'm tried closing in. All this time I've always been very far, just trading kicks and timing the front leg.

So now I tried closing in just to get comfortable with fighting in closer range, I ate a bunch of punches but I got some in.:fuckyea:

I guess I really am just uncomfortable with range and suck at the whole punching game.

I probably will eat more punches, but I'll defend what I can and try to stay in that range more. I'll just keep in mind not to emulate a zombie and ignore the punches.:Determined:

Thanks for the replies.

BTW, is it OK to catch some punches on the skull and forehead? I mean, I don't plan on making a habit out of it, it's just that I'm already covering my temple and jaw and I don't wanna cover my eyes.
    I have a video for that too.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 8:03am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whiteshark, yeah, I experienced exactly what you just said last session.

Omega, if you have a video of how to properly cover that, I would find that extremely useful.

EDIT:

Oh yeah, I also need to know. The Mike Zambidis guy punches the body at long range and I try to do the same.

My head is almost always on the chest level or a little lower of my opponent. Whether I punch to the head or the body.

I also use cross to the body but the thing is, won't those techniques set me up for a knee?

I think I'm going too low thanks to my krotty reverse punch point sparring days.

EDIT: Or maybe I should let my back leg slide along so my stance would stop sinking.
    Last edited by iopyud; 4/28/2011 8:27am at .

Posted On:
    4/28/2011 10:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think I'm going too low thanks to my krotty reverse punch point sparring days.

EDIT: Or maybe I should let my back leg slide along so my stance would stop sinking.
    Oh dear god. If this is even a consideration you need to practice nothing but footwork for at least a month.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2011 7:56am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm sorry can you please elaborate? It was an honest question and I'm really lacking in footwork and I'm currently trying to deal with range and poor footwork.

This is what I was basically doing:

I guess what I should be asking is how to move while punching.

EDIT:

Got some references to try out in the gym tomorrow.
    Gonna concentrate on footwork and drills then.

Last edited by iopyud; 4/29/2011 8:04am at .

Posted On:
    4/29/2011 8:44am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To be more clear there is no MAYBE about this: "Or maybe I should let my back leg slide along so my stance would stop sinking."

You absolutely need to be able to slide forward and cover distance the only time your rear foot needs to plant is when you are landing your strike. Not when you are starting it. When you are landing it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2011 9:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, I'm already doing that.
    You scared me for a minute there.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/29/2011 9:41am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    Oh dear god. If this is even a consideration you need to practice nothing but footwork for at least a month.
    I must concur.

Posted On:
    4/29/2011 10:15am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, I'm already doing that.
    You scared me for a minute there.
    No you aren't. You wouldn't have these complaints if you had good boxing style footwork. You would be able to move in and out of range at the right times and you would know the difference between your range and their range and you'd know where those ranges are.

Being shorter than your opponents is an obvious disadvantage. Having better more mobile footwork than your opponent is an obvious advantage. You already have one of those things now go get the other.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast