Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/20/2011 9:21pm

Style: MT/Ex-Judo NO SPRAWL?!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I'm short and do MT, need advice on range/punching

Hi, I'm 5'4", I don't really have problems with kicking and anything else.

The problem is, I want to friggin' punch so that people's attention will be diverted away from my kicks and I want to take advantage of the fact that sometimes, people's guard goes down because I can't reach their heads.

Infighting is out of the question because I don't want to be clinched.

I tried lunging punches, they sometimes work, but I eat punches so it's not worth it.

I tried this :

It's OK. I need more work on it and I honestly can't rely on just one set up.

What bothers me are people like this:

See? How are they punching? If it's me, I'd already be eating punches the moment I try to get close, but they get close like it's nothing! :fffuuu:

Can you guys give me tips, set ups and more instructional vids on angles? I'd bug my coach but he's not around right now.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    4/21/2011 10:57am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by iopyud View Post
    Hi, I'm 5'4", I don't really have problems with kicking and anything else.

Infighting is out of the question because I don't want to be clinched.
    DOES NOT COMPUTE.

Get the idea that infighting is bad out of your head. You're 5'4" you will be infighting a LOT.

The videos you posted are just excellent strikers with good timing. As you get better your timing will get better. Good timing plus good footwork makes you able to move in and out like that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2011 1:04am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, if it's just "STFU and spar more" then there's no complaints here.

Alright, let me do some research on infighting.

:)

Posted On:
    4/22/2011 1:13am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    attack the body, and when the guard comes down, go upstairs. From what I've seen of Zambidis, he does that superbly. Also, inside leg kicks, as your smaller parts with make you less likely to kick the pen0r.

for example: Inside lead leg kick, low right cross, left hook around guard to head.

You could try angle-in jabs and punches, to close the gap, without eating too much. If you are clinched, watch for the knee, and throw bombs to the body, or uppercuts. You will have to infight, to reach them, no pun intended. Your maximum power, due to build, will be at close range.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    4/22/2011 2:05am

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You basically said you don't want to fight in the range where you can actually punch the guy, but you still wanted to punch the guy.

This is my recommendation

1. Get really good at clinching

2. Learn to work in your pocket.
    Infighting doesn't mean that you're going to be chest to chest with your opponent. That is safety range in no-clinch kickboxing, where you should be learning onto the guy with all your weight while clinching, or trying to sneak in some ineffective punches. In MT of course, thats within thai clinch range and some knees.

For shorter guys, proper infighting means that you are at your best distance yet but too close for him to strike back effectively. That means you better get good at dealing with hard pressure and not be afraid of punches incoming. Of course, you're still at risk to get clinched. If I were fighting MT and I'm at that range, I'd be very very ready to deal with clinches and not waste too much time punching/kicking and opening myself up for a clinch.

As far as how to get to that range, there are several different ways. One is to shell up and come in using your density and low stature. Once you are in, let the punches fly. Pressure pressure pressure using inside combos.

The better way to get in is to use traditional boxing methods. Jab, straight punches, and use the time you gain from straight punches to quickly come inside. If you are short, one thing you can do is try a downstairs, upstairs double combo or do a double jab to the head. When you double jab, first one should be a "feint" where you don't actually intend to land the punch hard. Second one should be delivered as a full jab.

Also, just because you are shorter doesn't mean you should stand there and move straight forward. Try circling away while your opponent sends punches and kicks your way while looking for opportunities. When I do get his timing and try to make a move in, I try to circle to my outside as I lead with the jab. In order to do that you must learn to scoot and punch at the same time; watch pro boxers do this and try to emulate.

As far as useful punches for a shorter guy, short overhands work alright, but straight punches are really the shorter guy's best friend.

Also, throwing kicks from inside the guy's pocket is highly annoying. If your kicks cross, I guarantee you that yours will and first.
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2011 2:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't really mind being clinched. I just don't want to be in it before I can throw some punches.

Alright, I'm going to try circling, angling and rushing in when he looks awkward.
    I'm gonna need to work on the basics of my guard/stance as well.
    It's long overdue for a review. (Don't wanna step in with my head open).

What I hate about light sparring is that I can't tell which punches will knock me out and which ones I can catch so I try to avoid/block them all.
    Last edited by iopyud; 4/22/2011 2:25am at .

Yours truly

Posted On:
    4/22/2011 2:33am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't worry about contact level. It doesn't matter much right now.

You have to learn to fine tune your ranging. Its not about rushing in. Its about staying at your optimal range. For the shorter person that means being close enough where your opponent can definitely reach you, so you better be hitting first.

This is a video of me doing shitty sparring, and my opponent is hunting for takedowns so we don't trade many shots. So I don't really want to use it as an example but look. See how careful both of us are with ranging. I'm trying to stay at my range while being far enough away from my shorter opponent to avoid his attacks; but if I did nothing, its close enough for me to get hit. You're trying to do that in the reverse. From being just outside his reach, but close enough for him to hit you if he tried (by taking a very small step for example), you want to carefully step in where you're too close for him to land effective shots, so he has to back away.

If you are the shorter person you're going to constantly have to chase him this way, but rushing in is no way to do it. You want to be at that fine tuned range as much as possible if not the whole time. If my opponent was not trying to hunt for opportunities for takedowns and kick catches, he'd have been doing exactly that.

Last edited by dwkfym; 4/22/2011 2:38am at .
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2011 3:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think I spotted my problem before and you confirmed it.

I "may" be a little too far away. See, even my taller opponent can only jab my forearm.
    That's why I can counter punches with low kicks.

And if I'm so damn far, people will see me closing in if I try punches.

I've watched a bunch of Zambidis fight and he's not really doing much fancy footwork, he's just at the tip of the other guy's range, he can get hit but when he punches, he steps forward a little.

So, it's circling, angling for me while fine tuning my range. I'll probably spend the first minute in sparring range checking then.

Posted On:
    4/22/2011 8:43am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm only about an inch taller than you, and my coach is the same height as me, so we've had more than a few talks on the subject. Basically what he's told me is that the rules for punching change when you're fighting someone significantly taller than you, and for guys like us, that's just about everyone. Here's the basics of his advice to me-

1- Straight punches to the body, arcing punches(hooks, uppercuts, overhands) to the head. I've noticed, and he's confirmed, that my jab and cross lose speed and power when I try to throw them on guys who are more than 6 inches taller than me. Punching up generally is way less effective because you're losing range on your punches, and you've got little enough to spare as it is.

2- Lead with kicks to open your punches. This is backwards from how it usually goes, but it works. That combo Bobby posted is great. Also helping this out is the surprise thing. Just about every style of kickboxing generally tells you to end with a kick, so most people don't really expect the kick to come first and then punches behind it.

3- Change levels with your combos all the freaking time. Makes life so much harder for the defender, and it opens up a lot. I get a buttload of use out of jab-body jab-overhand right-left kick.

4- Get good at parrying punches to make your own openings. I have a few friends at the gym who have freaky go-go gadget arms, and this is really the only way I can get anything at all on them. It's really good for landing body kicks, especially if you move to the side a little as you do it.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    4/22/2011 9:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd like to note that once you are inside the opponent's pocket, straight punches do work very well. Pump them out in volume and power
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast