Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 7:50am

Style: Boxing and No Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How to train judo?

Hi all,
    I'm relatively new to judo and I'm currently doing one session (90 minutes) a week not because I'm lazy but, seriously, because I can't find time (I regret ten folds choosing to study law instead of commerce...someone shoot me please!) to travel to and from the nearest dojo (around 30 minutes one way).
    That is why I wish to train at home. Thing is- I can't find a training tool. Sure, I could do push ups, sit ups, skip and lift weights to improve my general fitness but there is no way to train my throws. I can even practice breakfalling on my mattress but that is as far as it goes.
    Any suggestions on what equipment I should get or what they personally do to better their judo in their own house?
    Thank you!

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 8:11am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Training on your judo on your own is pretty tricky. There are a few things you can do like uchikomi with elastic bands, but these are really for helping to polish a technique you can already do, and as a beginner I don't think they would be helpful.

Look up some of the mobility drills they have for BJJ/MMA they'd be fairly helpful for you. You could also try doing Frankensteins. Stand facing a partner, and have them hold their arms out in front. They then start walking slowly forwards as you go backwards. You then have to jump into the position for ipon seo nage, making contact with your back against their body, then jump back out so you're facing them again. Do that over and over as your partner keeps walking at a steady pace. Don't take grips or anything, just work on your foot positioning.

Don't do break-falls on your mattress, you'll wreck it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 8:45am

Style: MMA / MT / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I read this on another site before:

Try front rolls. almost all of the throws in judo NEED commitment to work properly...for instance, get in the position for uchi-mata, ippon seonage, and to some extent tai otoshi and just front roll. You'll get used to the motion and hit the throws perfectly when you randori.

Another good indoor deal is to take your belt and tie it to something about shoulder high an hold it like it's your opponents gi, and then enter as if you're doing a throw over and over, this will get your entry technique.
    And this:

For technique..do uchi komi footwork on a wall..lean your hands on a wall..like shoulders of an oponent..and do the motion of entry for foot work as if you were coming in for a uchi mata or ippon seo nagi.. that basic triangle type footwork is the most basic for almost every throw..eventually you get so good at it, you dont even step, you just jump right into it..which is the best way to perform Tai Otoshi and alot of other throws at the competitive level..an other drill is to move around your space on the balls of your feet..dont bounce in judo..you drag your feet..like when you have socks on and your hardwood floor is slippery and you slide around..thats how you want to be..another thing..never ever cross your legs when movie.. the leading foot slides and the other foot drags..like a boxer..
    Now I train judo to supplement my BJJ and only train a few hours of Judo a month so I am no expert, but what they say seems to make sense but the more experienced guys might have better advice.

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 9:22am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    Training on your judo on your own is pretty tricky. There are a few things you can do like uchikomi with elastic bands, but these are really for helping to polish a technique you can already do, and as a beginner I don't think they would be helpful.
    This.

Don't do shadow uchikomi at home as a beginner

You will train bad habits and some poor bugger will have to spend months training them out of you.

Do general fitness and stretching and do more Judo. Unfortunately that's the only correct answer.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 3:45pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Like_A_Boss View Post
    I read this on another site before:

And this:

Now I train judo to supplement my BJJ and only train a few hours of Judo a month so I am no expert, but what they say seems to make sense but the more experienced guys might have better advice.
    that's all pretty bad advice for beginners. I suggest you ask your judo instructor as well for appropriate drills.

Judo is like anything else, there is lots of very bad advice on the Internet.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2011 3:11am

Style: MMA / MT / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    that's all pretty bad advice for beginners. I suggest you ask your judo instructor as well for appropriate drills.

Judo is like anything else, there is lots of very bad advice on the Internet.

Ben
    I thought as much

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2011 10:16am

Style: Judo/Stronglifts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    as others have mentioned, judo is best practiced in judo class where you have an instructor who can steer you away from practicing bad habits.

outside of class, i usually try to do a lot of conditioning. lifting weights, running stairs (or hills), plyometrics, and stretching are will all keep you in tip top shape so you don't gas out during heavy drilling and randori.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/26/2011 12:17am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    buy a bicycle innertube and cut it.

unfortunately some instructors have terrible habits themselves.
    Last edited by Gustard; 4/26/2011 12:20am at .

Posted On:
    4/26/2011 5:28pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gustard View Post
    buy a bicycle innertube and cut it.
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post

Don't do shadow uchikomi at home as a beginner

Quote Originally Posted by Gustard View Post
    unfortunately some instructors have terrible habits themselves.
    I imagine there's a positive corelation with people who started solo uchikomi as beginners.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/26/2011 10:48pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well my instructor showed me some uchikomi to do at home so I was pretty sure the technique was good (he was very senior Kodokan ) .
    However I had another judo instructor who used innertubes ( he was originally a student of the first Japanese teacher). His instruction for using the tubes to do seio nage uchikomis was so terrible that none of his students could do that throw. I honestly think you would be better off copying the technique of the guy in that youtube video than listening to that instructors advice. There are many instructors out there who can ruin your judo.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast