Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/20/2011 8:59pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Wing Chun, TKD, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Got my ass handed to me.

Ok so I've been doing about 4 months of Wing Chun and Tae Kwon Do, I don't go to school because it is too costly so I home train. Finding whatever techniques and theories of what I can and try to use it. Today I spar with my friends and they killed me. With 4 years of wrestling, and 15 years of cross training multiple styles, the dude almost fuckin killed me. I realized I wasted 4 months of work. Although the benefit of the home training made me stronger and faster and healthier, but it did not help me for fighting, and this was my main focus. Tell me do you guys do home training as well? If so what is effective and ineffective for you?

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    4/20/2011 9:14pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    4 months of the best training in the world, of any kind, in anything, won't stop someone with 4 years of wrestling and 15 years of decent cross training from crushing you like a bug.

That being said, home based training is a waste of time and money unless you are supernaturally gifted. You need an instructor to show you the nuances of the technique and you need partners to practice applying them. Go find an MMA, Judo, BJJ, or Boxing gym and work out a deal to trade work for class time or something. You'll be better for it.

Posted On:
    4/20/2011 9:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like you should train where your friend trains.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/20/2011 10:19pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    home training to me is lifting weights (if you do not have weights improvise like water bottels)
    and doing sit and push-ups.

Home training is good to support you basics
    but it will never surpass actual training with partners and trainers

heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    4/20/2011 10:47pm

supporting member
     Style: 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    Sounds like you should train where your friend trains.
    Or just train with his friend. If I had a friend like that I'd spar with them as much as possible.

:)

Posted On:
    4/21/2011 1:16am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido.

I train at home, as I'm a busy musician, and can't get to my teacher. Shadow box, pushups, situps, punch myself in the shins, whatever. This only keeps me in relatively good shape (compared to doing nothing), and is no substitute for active classes, and alive/resistant training.

When I was in the gym, I was lucky, in that the San Shou school I attended, was very good, and had a fight team...some of whom became my sparring partners. They destroyed me, but I learned what to watch out for. Sparring at throwdowns has been a good tune-up thing, and as my summer schedule pans out, I'll be back in the gym.

In the short term, you might want to look at more proven styles than chun, and TDK, as far as resistant, well rounded training, and inter-style competition worthy techniques, even on youtube, dailymotion or whatever.

In the mid-long term, get into a boxing/muay thai/san shou/sambo/judo/bjj or something gym (I have to myself). There is one solution to getting predictably destroyed by those with more experience in hard training. Do a bunch yourself. That or prepare to be owned like me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2011 8:02am

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Honestly, training with a real coach/teacher is the only way to go imo. Theres things you wont get from "home training" especially if defending urself is the goal. U need partners and a set of eyes to help you.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/21/2011 8:10am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyclumsyninja View Post
    Welcome to Bullshido.

I train at home, as I'm a busy musician, and can't get to my teacher. Shadow box, pushups, situps, punch myself in the shins, whatever. This only keeps me in relatively good shape (compared to doing nothing), and is no substitute for active classes, and alive/resistant training.

When I was in the gym, I was lucky,
    in that the San Shou school I attended, was very good, and had a fight team...some of whom became my sparring partners. .
    Notice OP that he trained at a gym BEFORE training at home and that is a HUGE difference.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    4/21/2011 11:08am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Notice OP that he trained at a gym BEFORE training at home and that is a HUGE difference.
    Even with that, having previous training doesn't necessarily prevent you from fucking up while home training.

Last year, due to several different issues, I wasn't able to train with my normal routine from April-November. I wasn't able to go to the gym or make it to our group training session. I worked out at home lifting, working the bag, mat drills, kata, etc.

In December, when I was able to start getting back with my normal training group, it showed. Despite having years of training in different styles, I've pretty much spent the past couple of months unworking the poor mechanics that I trained into myself while not having proper supervision.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/21/2011 11:29am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm trying to think of any endeavor where 4 months of experience beats 4-15 years of experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast