Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    13
    Style
    Judo, MT, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Lack of aggression

    I've been training in various martial arts for the last 8 years, and i'm not that aggressive of a fighter, which when I was doing TKD and Judo this wasn't that big of a problem as I could just defend standing up and land a back kick/throw when my opponent fucked up.

    Now I've been doing BJJ/Luta Livre off and on for two years now and i've stopped progressing because while I have a great defense when they're in my guard(half and full) I never think about sweeping and going on the offensive unless they **** up and I see an easy opening.

    Does any have this problem or know what I can do to fix it?

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    444
    Style
    ukemi & tapping out
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Set goals for yourself. When you find yourself in a certain position have a set sweep, submission, or pass to try until you become proficient at it.

  3. #3
    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    9,118
    Style
    Kodokan Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You really did judo and just "defended". I am at a loss as to how you got away with that for very long.

    You have to practice offense, so, as the last poster noted, train offense. Other than that, maybe a testosterone patch?

    Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

  4. #4
    judoka_uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,619
    Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    You really did judo and just "defended". I am at a loss as to how you got away with that for very long.

    You have to practice offense, so, as the last poster noted, train offense. Other than that, maybe a testosterone patch?

    Ben
    Practice partners were **** at Judo?

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    133
    Style
    Judo/Stronglifts
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Practice partners were **** at Judo?
    maybe he was one of those guys who only counters people

  6. #6
    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    9,118
    Style
    Kodokan Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron_ View Post
    maybe he was one of those guys who only counters people
    Can't really get away with that for a long time. Any competent instructor would be all over you to learn offensive moves. Like farting in the locker room at least.


    Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

  7. #7
    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    9,118
    Style
    Kodokan Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Practice partners were **** at Judo?
    Oh my, how on earth could that possibly happen?

    Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,973
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What helped me get more agressive with my sweeps/subs was starting to practice MMA with the strikes. If the choices are
    1. Try to sweep or submit the guy on top
    2. Be hit in the face repeatedly
    it's amazing how easy it becomes to go with option 1.

  9. #9
    judoka_uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,619
    Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Oh my, how on earth could that possibly happen?

    Ben
    Being made to take 50 speed nagekomi falls as a 13 year old should do it.

  10. #10
    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    9,118
    Style
    Kodokan Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Being made to take 50 speed nagekomi falls as a 13 year old should do it.
    Ah, yes, that would certainly qualify as a bad experience.

    Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO