Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/19/2011 11:48pm

Style: Muay Thai, San Shou, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Training while injured. How much is too much?

Okay, so I've been trying recreationally for about 8 months now but really started getting into it because school's ending. Got to roll with the advanced class and on my second class got caught in an arm bar. My arm wasn't full extended so I tried to escape, eventually tapped. Arm hurts now, it's actually worse on the second day. Thinking of going in tomorrow. I like training and I'm enjoying it but I'm not enjoying being injured. Rolling with the beginner class next time, should be a bit easier. But still, I know I can still train but should I take it easy until it heals up? I don't think it's anything serious but it still hurts quite a bit.

Also, how much does an elbow injury affect my striking? Should I still go hard on the pads with my cross (right arm was the one that got caught)?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/20/2011 6:14am

Style: BJJ/MT/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Listen to your body.

If you are really hurt you need to heal and recover ( and possibly seek medical attention ). If you feel like you are ok to go on, then at least take some precautions. Tell people you are injured and on which arm. In turn, you might not attempt submissions on one of their arms to make things more fair. If they forget and go for that arm just tap straight away. If they seem suprised, teabag them and remind them you are injured there.

I might be wrong but I would be more worried rolling beginners when I have an injury than advanced guys. When a beginner goes for something they often don't have the leverage and balance the advanced guys do to let go of a move halfway or to help someone to fall in a less savage way. Also, advanced guys understand the limits of your joints a lot better than a beginner does.

I've been rolling with a recovering shoulder injury for a few months now. I have to be really mindful about rolling correctly over that shoulder, not landing on it when I get swept, and tapping early when someone is about to rip my arm off.

Good luck.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2011 10:37am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got this stuff from my new roommate, it's a pain relief gel called Volini. Apparently he got it from India when he was in an motorcycle accident there. I've used it once and WOW does my arm feel better. I know that it hasn't really healed me, it just makes it feel better. Should I be able to roll with this stuff applied? Or is that a bad idea?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/21/2011 11:09am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    no, don't roll with an injury. let it heal. don't mask the pain with drugs or whatever either. you'll feel less pain once you've warmed up which might cause you to do silly things and hurt yourself further anyway.

maybe do the technique part of the class and let the instructor know you're injured and will sit out the rolling. otherwise, tell you partner about your injury and go light.

and like BT said, you're actually much safer rolling with higher ranked guys. your problem may be that you're not tapping early enough, trying to fight out of something when it's too late.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/21/2011 11:10am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't roll with it on if its gonna stink like crazy.

One thing you can do is to make your grappling partner aware of your injury and tap early if anyone gets a hold of your arm.

Don't tell someone to go easy and then goes balls to the wall. That **** pisses me off.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2011 4:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, so I decided to go in and roll for a bit. Damn, it was like rolling with only one arm. Couldn't do anything with my right. Got the guy's back and tried to sink in an RNC. It was not happening. On the plus side I think I figured out that my legs are more flexible than I previously thought. Since I couldn't use my arms to create space and shrimp. So I'm definitely gonna just work on technique for a while. I think I'm only aggravating it at this point. How long do these arm bar injuries usually last?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/22/2011 4:56pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it really depends on how you treat your arm. Its bound to heal soon if its just sore. If you feel any pain over a week I'd see the dr

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/22/2011 8:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, so my mom is really into homeopathic medicine. I try to stay away from it as much as possible but I have heard good things about acupuncture. Is acupuncture legit? Will it help me heal faster? I'm only home for a weekend (Easter weekend), hopefully I can schedule some time.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/22/2011 9:05pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    homeopathy is a load of ****, and the efficacy of acupuncture can be explained by the placebo effect.

healing depends not only on how you treat your arm, but how badly injured you really are.

if it happened recently, anti-inflammatory meds may help. later on, alternating hot and cold packs.

but i'm not a doctor, if the pain is serious go to a doctor. if not, it's a common injury which will probably heal in a few weeks and there may be lingering pain for months or years. you never know.