Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/19/2011 4:18pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

"instant" joint breaks illegal in UFC?

I recently had a silly argument with a practitioner of Systema where he was saying "ring sports" are no good on the street compared with stuff like Systema and KM. His main argument was that instant joint breaks (ex. leg, ankle, arm, wrist etc.) are illegal in the UFC. Irregardless of the general silliness generally associated with style vs style BS, I'm not even sure that's even true. It might be as I've certainly never seen anyone do an "instant break" in a UFC fight, but I've read the UFC rules, and don't know which one specifically forbids such a technique. If I understand correctly, "small joint manipulation" only refers to fingers and toes.

Posted On:
    4/19/2011 4:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, they aren't illegal in MMA.

For instance:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/19/2011 4:35pm

Style: Kyokushin/Capoeira

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Engaging in unsportsmanlike conduct that causes an injury to an opponent I think covers those sorts of things. However, your Systema buddy is thinking fallaciously because if someone puts a move on slow in the ring to give someone a chance to tap, why the hell couldn't they just do the same thing harder and faster on the street? Grappling moves give one the option to apply slowly or quickly and if the submission is sunk it doesn't matter how hard I crank it because unless you know how to escape, you won't.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    4/19/2011 4:40pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kracker View Post
    I recently had a silly argument with a practitioner of Systema where he was saying "ring sports" are no good on the street compared with stuff like Systema and KM. His main argument was that instant joint breaks (ex. leg, ankle, arm, wrist etc.) are illegal in the UFC. Irregardless of the general silliness generally associated with style vs style BS, I'm not even sure that's even true. It might be as I've certainly never seen anyone do an "instant break" in a UFC fight, but I've read the UFC rules, and don't know which one specifically forbids such a technique. If I understand correctly, "small joint manipulation" only refers to fingers and toes.
    You know what's worse than arguing with idiots? When their idiocy infects you.

Posted On:
    4/19/2011 4:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kracker View Post
    Irregardless of the general silliness
    'Irregardless' is not a fucking word. It's 'regardless' or 'irrespective' there is no need to prefix regardless with 'ir' or create a portmanteau, when two perfectly good words already exist to express this notion.

Seriously, where has this stupid non-word come from?

Posted On:
    4/19/2011 5:02pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    'Irregardless' is not a fucking word. It's 'regardless' or 'irrespective' there is no need to prefix regardless with 'ir' or create a portmanteau, when two perfectly good words already exist to express this notion.

Seriously, where has this stupid non-word come from?
    It's really common in the US, unfortunately

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/19/2011 5:25pm

Style: ukemi & tapping out

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They're certainly not encouraged. In addition to the sheer dickishness of purposefully breaking someone's joints the promotional companies wouldn't be happy about one of their fighters having to take a large amount of time off to heal.

Posted On:
    4/19/2011 6:00pm

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stupid argument but it is generally true the joint breaks are not used in MMA (at least not on purpose). I'd think if nothing else that if a guy keeps breaking peoples limbs no one is going to want to fight him. More over anyone who does is going to be out to break him first. I would admit that MMA lacks certain tools that are important in a street encounter but Systema and a lot of those RBSD styles have even more glaring holes. I'd suggest the next time you have to put up with this practitioner you go ahead and roshambo him for who has the d3ad1y.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/19/2011 6:07pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When you consider how hard it is for a fighter to hit another fighter just right to cause a knockout, it seems even harder than that for a fighter to target two different small spots (fulcrum and lever) at the exact same time to cause a joint break.

Posted On:
    4/19/2011 6:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its also pretty difficult to 'instantly' break someone's joint. You can rapidly cause extreme pain relative easily but instantly breaking the joint is quite difficult.

Despite a totally dominant position and complete control Aoki has to apply a lot of pressure to actually break the joint.
Page 1 of 10 1 2345 ... LastLast