Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/26/2011 10:12am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    I said rarley you might want to ask a different question.
    Well, then I'd recommend a better pediatrician.

As I pointed out, in some areas of the US, not only as asking about cars not rare it cannot be rare as it is built into regulations. California, Florida, and New York require car seats—specific car seats as well—to take one's newborn out of a hospital, and that alone is a guarantee that car safety will be discussed by pediatricians (and ob/gyns) at some point. There are also additional guarantees built into law that make sure doctors share information about car safety for children with their patients' parents. Even in if in every other state such discussion and questions are banned (which they're not), those three states are populous enough to elevate the occurrence above "rarely".

Posted On:
    4/26/2011 10:16am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Tortelli View Post
    I'm a Republican. I prefer to go with my gut feelings and intuition over (no doubt liberal biased) "research" and "facts".
    You forgot "and quick consultations with my pastor"!

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/26/2011 10:24am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    Well, then I'd recommend a better pediatrician.

As I pointed out, in some areas of the US, not only as asking about cars not rare it cannot be rare as it is built into regulations. California, Florida, and New York require car seats—specific car seats as well—to take one's newborn out of a hospital, and that alone is a guarantee that car safety will be discussed by pediatricians (and ob/gyns) at some point. There are also additional guarantees built into law that make sure doctors share information about car safety for children with their patients' parents. Even in if in every other state such discussion and questions are banned (which they're not), those three states are populous enough to elevate the occurrence above "rarely".
    No, my kids aged out of those questions.

I'm certain we agree as I never said banned. I said "While I agree that a doctor should be able to ask any question, it should be relevant and not political."

So, where we disagree I have no clue. Then again when you get your dander up you are worse than me.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/26/2011 10:28am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You forgot "and quick consultations with my pastor"!
    Well, according to my current pastor the only way I'll find support for my particular political views within Christianity is to invent a time machine and travel back to Oliver Cromwell's England.

Posted On:
    4/26/2011 10:34am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, my kids aged out of those questions.
    Well yes—the same questions aren't asked every single time, as if a police officer is interrogating a suspect. The OP, who frames this issue as "the American Academy of Pediatrics recently [starting] a campaign to make pediatricians ask parents if they had guns" might think so, but of course whenever I click on a legislative/policy thread Wounded Ronin starts I know it'll be chockful of misinformation and hysterics right from the beginning.

I'm certain we agree as I never said banned. I said "While I agree that a doctor should be able to ask any question, it should be relevant and not political."
    We do agree on that.

So, where we disagree I have no clue. Then again when you get your dander up you are worse than me.
    My contention is that pediatricians ask about—and provide information about—swimming pools and car safety and other such issues regularly, not rarely. Incidentally, this is even built into the OP. The URL the OP cites in his first post reads, in part:

During these visits, several aspects of the patient’s home are discussed, including swimming pools, hazardous chemicals, smoke detectors, medications, and firearms.

This, of course, was followed by two pages of people who clearly haven't been to a pediatrician's office in decades going, "Ook ook, why not say swimming pool bad" when of course doctors do that sort of thing too.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/26/2011 10:42am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My contention is that pediatricians ask about—and provide information about—swimming pools and car safety and other such issues regularly, not rarely. Incidentally, this is even built into the OP. The URL the OP cites in his first post reads, in part:
    Actually I had three "rarely" examples in my post I am not sure why you are keying on swimming with me. Anyway, I say "rarely" as a point because the doctors in the two states I lived and a few I visited use pamphlets more than talking as they spend most time exploring your specific condition.

Also, I didn't say banned they can ask anything they want. If I don't like it I'll transfer records somewhere else. Yes, I have done that before.

Posted On:
    4/26/2011 10:59am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, according to my current pastor the only way I'll find support for my particular political views within Christianity is to invent a time machine and travel back to Oliver Cromwell's England.
    I had this feeling you were an Adamite.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/26/2011 11:05am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    I had this feeling you were an Adamite.
    Cromwell was a Puritan, no?
    And I think anyone who has looked into the dealings of the United States legislature ("Hey guys, we need ANOTHER cost of living raise.") cannot be unsympathetic towards "You have sat here too long for all the good you are doing! In the name of God, GO!"

Posted On:
    4/26/2011 11:11am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cromwell was a Puritan, no?
    Yes Cromwell was a Puritan. There were many heterodox and radical christian sects in England during Cromwel's time though.

One of which was the Adamites google them and see the comedy potential that lies within their beliefs.

And I think anyone who has looked into the dealings of any country's legislature cannot be unsympathetic towards "You have sat here too long for all the good you are doing! In the name of God, GO!"
    Fixed.

Posted On:
    4/26/2011 12:27pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyway, I say "rarely" as a point because the doctors in the two states I lived and a few I visited use pamphlets more than talking as they spend most time exploring your specific condition.
    Well yes, but consulting questions include things like "Have you seen our pamphlets?" Or "Do you have a swimming pool? Have a pamphlet." That's what the Florida law is about—it's not solely about the specific instances of making verbal utterances that have an interrogative inflection at the end.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast