222339 Bullies, 4247 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 41
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Wounded Ronin is offline
    Wounded Ronin's Avatar

    ...is THE PENETRATOR

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,814

    Posted On:
    4/18/2011 8:35pm

    supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Write the American Academy of Pediatrics and tell them to drop anti-gun politics

    Lots of doctors are against gun ownership. This is because medical textbooks often present gun ownership as some kind of public health problem and typically present a few statistics saying things like you're more likely to die of homicide if guns are in your house than if they're not, you're more likely to commit suicide or have an accident, and so on.

    It seems like the American Academy of Pediatrics recently started a campaign to make pediatricians ask parents if they had guns, and if so how many and where are they stored, on the grounds that the kids could be at risk of shooting themselves or having an accident. In Florida the legislature is working on a law that would ban doctors from asking such questions, and then the AAP now has a statement on their website complaining about this.

    http://www.aap.org/advocacy/releases...daguns2011.htm

    The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) joins the Florida Pediatric Society and other physicians and medical professionals in expressing deep concern over the advancement of Florida Senate Bill 432 and House Bill 155, legislation which would restrict pediatricians' ability to ask patients and parents simple counseling questions about gun safety without fear of sanctions from the state medical board.
    I'd urge you to use the Contact Us section of the AAP website to tell them what you think of their anti-gun politics they are trying to take into exam room. I sent them an email earlier today and I hope you will to.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29
  2. donoraen is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    488

    Posted On:
    4/18/2011 10:34pm


     Style: Limalama

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Normally, I am against any gun restrictions to an extent, and yeah it does seem a little stupid for my doctor to waste my precious time in his office with questions about my guns instead of my health, but it also seems kinda stupid that a private doctor would be restricted from asking ANY questions of his patients.

    edit:// Yes, docs asking about my guns is a waste of time, but banning said questions from taking place is an even bigger waste of time. I just don't see the problem with it.
    Last edited by donoraen; 4/18/2011 10:37pm at . Reason: wasn't very clear
  3. Wounded Ronin is offline
    Wounded Ronin's Avatar

    ...is THE PENETRATOR

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,814

    Posted On:
    4/19/2011 2:06pm

    supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by donoraen View Post
    Normally, I am against any gun restrictions to an extent, and yeah it does seem a little stupid for my doctor to waste my precious time in his office with questions about my guns instead of my health, but it also seems kinda stupid that a private doctor would be restricted from asking ANY questions of his patients.

    edit:// Yes, docs asking about my guns is a waste of time, but banning said questions from taking place is an even bigger waste of time. I just don't see the problem with it.
    As a MPH I view this campaign as being part of an effort to stigmatize gun ownership, just as for example cigarette smoking or eating deep fried food has been stigmatized. That is why I feel it is inappropriate to use the authority of the medical establishment in this way.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29
  4. donoraen is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    488

    Posted On:
    4/19/2011 9:49pm


     Style: Limalama

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, I didn't see it that way, you do have a point there.
  5. Colin is offline
    Colin's Avatar

    LVL 99 Photomancer

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Tasmania, Australia
    Posts
    3,120

    Posted On:
    4/19/2011 10:02pm

    supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin's source
    It seems like the American Academy of Pediatrics recently started a campaign to make pediatricians ask parents if they had guns, and if so how many and where are they stored, on the grounds that the kids could be at risk of shooting themselves or having an accident.
    Sounds like a very legitimate concern from where I'm sitting. Your viewpoint that this is discriminatory against gun owners (If I understand your criticism properly) Is clearly not based on a concern for the wellbeing of the patients, but rather for a semi-political personal or community goal for gun acceptance. (or at least, to avoid demonization of guns).

    Now, I can understand this on an academic level, though I do not feel encouraged to agree with the opponents to the AAP.

    Personally, I think such questions are entirely appropriate for a Doctor to ask their patients, or ask of their patients' parents, and therefore any politicking in the background is well outside of my own level of concern. I'm actually pretty appalled that Doctors questioning patients is the angle of attack chosen by the pro-gun lobbyists, and therefore it's a pretty ridiculous criticism to level at the AAP.
  6. TaeBo_Master is offline
    TaeBo_Master's Avatar

    Certified Fitness Trainer

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    4,002

    Posted On:
    4/19/2011 10:32pm

    supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the United States, 2010, there were 2.6 million crimes attempted in which the victims had to draw or use their gun to prevent the crime. In 95% of these cases, not a single shot was fired. That means that there were 2.6 million crimes prevented by guns, and of those, ironically, 2.47 million were prevented non-violently.

    The basic premise is that criminals are criminals, and by definition flout the law. Banning guns only guarantees that law-abiding citizens are less armed than criminals. Take drugs as an example. In the US, on the federal level, they're all illegal, including marijuana. And except in California, Colorado, and perhaps a couple others I'm forgetting, they're illegal on the state level too (in these states, restricted marijuana use is permitted). Not only is their possession illegal, but so is buying, selling, producing, or using them. But they're everywhere nonetheless. Legally banning something doesn't get rid of it, it only means that the criminals have the upper hand.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!


    "You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

    - The Wastrel
  7. donoraen is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    488

    Posted On:
    4/20/2011 1:07am


     Style: Limalama

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Personally, I think such questions are entirely appropriate for a Doctor to ask their patients, or ask of their patients' parents.
    Just for fun, why? What medical purpose could that knowledge possibly serve?
  8. Robstafarian is offline
    Robstafarian's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Chesterfield, VA
    Posts
    1,823

    Posted On:
    4/20/2011 1:30am


     Style: None

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by donoraen View Post
    Just for fun, why? What medical purpose could that knowledge possibly serve?
    I would imagine it falls under the “prevention is better than a cure” adage. Why should a doctor ask if a kid is eating vegetables regularly? Why should a doctor ask parents how often they give their children sugary foods? I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with a parent owning a gun, but I do know that it only takes one story of a three year old accidentally shooting his five year old brother to break your heart.

    Maybe some doctor somewhere up the chain couldn't down enough Scotch to feel better, so he floated an idea and the Think of the Children™ effect took hold.
  9. Wounded Ronin is offline
    Wounded Ronin's Avatar

    ...is THE PENETRATOR

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,814

    Posted On:
    4/20/2011 2:11pm

    supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Sounds like a very legitimate concern from where I'm sitting. Your viewpoint that this is discriminatory against gun owners (If I understand your criticism properly) Is clearly not based on a concern for the wellbeing of the patients, but rather for a semi-political personal or community goal for gun acceptance. (or at least, to avoid demonization of guns).

    Now, I can understand this on an academic level, though I do not feel encouraged to agree with the opponents to the AAP.

    Personally, I think such questions are entirely appropriate for a Doctor to ask their patients, or ask of their patients' parents, and therefore any politicking in the background is well outside of my own level of concern. I'm actually pretty appalled that Doctors questioning patients is the angle of attack chosen by the pro-gun lobbyists, and therefore it's a pretty ridiculous criticism to level at the AAP.
    I am not saying it is discriminatory, or that is not my main concern. My concern is that it is part of a propaganda war to portray gun ownership as backwards and irresponsible, much like smoking, by using the social authority of doctors.

    I think it is a fiendishly brilliant play by anti gun forces because I feel like the most important long term threat to gun ownership is the aging of its supporters and a failure of young people to get into shooting sports and get educated about firearms.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29
  10. BabboonBoy is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    29

    Posted On:
    4/23/2011 7:07am


     Style: Okinawan Kenpo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
    It seems like the American Academy of Pediatrics recently started a campaign to make pediatricians ask parents if they had guns, and if so how many and where are they stored, on the grounds that the kids could be at risk of shooting themselves or having an accident.
    As a side note, the AAP has been anti-firearms (my opinion) for many years.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.