...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    2/27/2011 4:55pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Help me pick a new pistol for competition

I am considering getting a new handgun for competition. I am interested in a CDP or ESP, rather than a "race gun", because I would like to have it be something that I could use for self defense or concealed carry in a pinch. In other words, a regular out of the box defensive handgun that can also be used for competition.

When I was starting out, I got a Kimber Custom TLE 2 1911 in .45 ACP because it was on sale used at my favorite gun store. I got a terrific price and it has served me well for many competitions now. However, I wish that it were a little bit more reliable.

Now that I've been competing for a while and have been practicing and trying to get good at it, I feel like maybe the time has come to make a choice about what gun I'd really like to have, as opposed to going with what was a good deal at the gun store at the time. Since I'm trying to really consider all possibilities, I would be open to getting something other than a 1911, or getting something that doesn't use .45 ACP. Maybe if I went 9mm I could save a lot of money on ammunition.

What I really like about the 1911 is that crisp trigger pull and the steady recoil, which makes it easy to shoot accurately, which for some reason many other handguns just don't have. But what has really aggravated me about the 1911 is reliability, and specifically the tendency to really jam up when they do decide to jam up.

I do know that some of the more recent Glock models that have come out have cripser trigger pulls, so I might be open to switching to a Glock. As a bonus they're also very affordable and I don't think I've even seen one malfunction during competition. It's always the 1911s that are malfunctioning.

Most competitors seem to use either 1911s or Glocks, so it seems to me that one or the other would be the "right" choice. If I do continue to go with a 1911, which competition appropriate 1911 is the most reliable? Springfield Armory? Someone on this forum must know.

But, I thought I should also ask, are there options out there besides for a Glock or a 1911? Ideally I would want something accurate, reliable, and easy to manipulate. For steel and USPSA type competition, if I had to sacrifice one of the above, I think I'd sacrifice accuracy first, ease of manipulation second, and reliability last. There must be people on this forum who have suggestions for me.

I don't have any restrictions on price range per se, as right now I'm just trying to figure out what would be ideal. If it comes down to it I can always sell the 1911 and maybe the Mini 14 and apply it towards whatever I want to buy next.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    2/27/2011 9:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You already considering Glocks so I will suggest the CZ-75 TS.
    http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-75-tactical/
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2011 1:20am

Style: Wrestling and Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would recommend a Walther but thats because I like them. They fit better in my hands and are generally more comfortable for me. Shooting is such a personal preference that every single person here could post something completely different and use all of the same reasoning.

http://www.waltherpistols.com/catego..._Handguns.aspx

Posted On:
    2/28/2011 3:34am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really dislike Glocks, but a great many people claim they're great for competition...once you get used to the trigger reset.

As for 1911s, I hear very good things about the Rock Island Match (also available in a longslide configuration). In any case, I wouldn't let a finicky Kimber put me off the platform (which I love like UNIX).

Other than that, I read an article once which said the CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow was amazingly accurate. The closest I can find to that model name is this “CZ CZ75 SP01.”

Posted On:
    2/28/2011 1:13pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The CZ P01 is a very nice weapon. Very manageable recoil, excellent accuracy. Not much in the way of caliber choice. 9mm it is.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/28/2011 4:50pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eh...if you plan on shooting IDPA and want to shoot ESP, I'd consider a 1911 in 9mm (ugh), or a similarly set up gun like a HKP7 or something. You lose too much advantage in this division if your chosen gun doesn't have some decent features that put you over your average SSP shooter/gun.

If you're going to shoot IPSC, the "Production" division will allow you to shoot fairly reasonably without spending a ton of cash. Just make sure you have plenty of mags.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2011 10:37am

Style: Over substance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Until fairly recently, I competed in IPSC with a CZ shadow (SP 01). It is priced reasonably, and once I got it straightened out (plenty of FTE out of the box) it was pretty good for IPSC. It would not be my choice for anything other than comp. 6 mags ought to do it, if you don’t mind reloading them constantly.
    These days I shoot a sig p226 for IPSC and IDPA. Reliable, accurate and easy to use. This would be my first recommendation.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2011 12:06pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I always hear people talking about this or that handgun being accurate. I've never shot an inaccurate handgun, and want someone to name one for me to try out.

On the subject of the Glock trigger for competition:

IMO, if I were to use a Glock for competition right now, it would be a gen4 with gen3 trigger, or I'd dremel down the dimple on the trigger bar that worsens the gen4 trigger pull, and I'd possibly/probably go with the 3.5# connector for competition, and possibly/probably the long slide, but then you said you were considering something that could be carried in a pinch which maybe rules out those last two options.
    Last edited by Knave; 3/02/2011 12:09pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2011 1:50pm

Style: CMD MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another option would be the HK USP 9 F. You could use it for ESP cocked & locked or if you feel like giving SSP a go, you can start it DA/SA. Mine has been stone-cold reliable and more accurate than my Glocks even though it's not that big a deal for most IDPA stages. You could always drop a match trigger upgrade in at a later stage but I've found that just putting a decent round count through it smoothes the trigger up quite nicely.

Posted On:
    3/27/2011 2:04pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is always a market for quality, used, 1911s. Keep that in mind because in my experience guys who compete tend to turn over pistols a bit more frequently than John Q. Public. I have a Kimber Custom Classic (series I) that is accurate as goddam balls, smooth as silk and has a great trigger. I'm not sure if they are still making them to the same level (I am also not crazy about the swartz safety in the IIs) but definately worth a look. I also have had good luck with my Springfield SS Loaded. Not quite as accurate as the Kimber but reliable as Hell and more accurate than most of the plastic pistols out there (except my freaky G23, don't like them in general but that thing is a goddamn laser, my G22 not so much).
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast