Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/21/2011 12:19pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    No, the officer that decided to chase a fare jumper, BY HIMSELF, fucked up not the SFPD.
    Yeah, you are right of course, I want to be clear that I have a lot of respect for the SFPD. However, what I'm saying is this doesn't look from a PR / citizen confidence point of view and it's also going to cause people to call their training into question.

Of course it could just be a freak random incident that one shouldn't read too much into and instead just celebrate the BJJ guy for kicking some ass.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/21/2011 12:27pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I read it as a cop, possibly with the arrogance we all have/see at times, thinking he could chase down a fare dodger. He thought it was a no threat incident and it flipped on him. We've seen it from little old ladies to this incident, people react strangely and you should always be prepared.

:)

Posted On:
    4/21/2011 1:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WIN. That's the spirit. Help when you're needed.

Though I've never seen this sort of thing, I've offered to help, in the past, when things looked a little crazy, with an officer potentially in trouble. Never been taken up on the offer, but I would help, were it needed.

I was in court yesterday (donna ask plz), and saw an officer friend. We mostly talked guitars, but he also said that they don't get much positive feedback from the community, during a crime-talk tangent we got into.

I've offered to play their bbq this summer, w/ the band. It's the least we can do, they've saved our asses enough. We comp CDs to cops, detecs, ADA's, transit staff, etc all the time.
    I literally wouldn't be alive, without the assistance they've given. It's been a crazy 11 years playing the st33t.

One person beat ADW charges, by his lawyer quoting some of my old bullshido posts (out of context), so I don't bring court stuff here. Suffice to say, I owe the force, and the entire judicial system bigtime.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/21/2011 1:07pm

Style: Not sure anymore

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When a suspect of such a minor offense is not responding to verbal dirctions and/or flees the scene I automatically suspect they are worried about something greater than a minor fine (i.e. they have a warrent for their arrest already and/or might have committed a more serious offense that their worried you are after them for).

Hard to tell what the officer was thinking but under those circumstances if he felt he had to place his hands on the suspect he should have really placed his hands on him and taken the dude down.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    4/21/2011 1:23pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I lived there, fare inspections were generally done with an officer exiting a patrol car and entering the bus/lightrail which continued on its route, with the patrol car following behind.

Wonder if they changed policy

Posted On:
    4/21/2011 6:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    With my luck I'd get a Yellow Bamboo instructor jumping in to help me.

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    4/22/2011 7:12am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See now, if the cop had tazed the dude, or slammed him with a takedown, people would be all over the "police brutality" angle. This is why those type of incidents are not improper conduct. Because when you have a guy refusing to follow your lawful instructions it could turn on you pretty fast.

How are the cops that poorly prepared? 2 on 1 and a citizen jumps in and saves the cop?

Although I too wonder where the hell his partner was, I don't think this was a matter of the cop being poorly prepared (from a self defense standpoint). Sounds like he put his hand on the guy and immediately got blasted with a punch. He was probably on queer street from that moment on. The cop did make a bad decision, though.

Hard to tell what the officer was thinking but under those circumstances if he felt he had to place his hands on the suspect he should have really placed his hands on him and taken the dude down.
    This.

I read it as a cop, possibly with the arrogance we all have/see at times, thinking he could chase down a fare dodger.
    lolwut? Arrogance? The cop was doing his job. You can't just let guys run off on you when you have lawfully stopped or detained them. He was doing his job.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    4/25/2011 2:19pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudOWNED View Post
    Although I too wonder where the hell his partner was
    This is what I meant. His partner is mentioned in the beginning but then he is never in the story again. huh?

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    4/25/2011 2:52pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    His listed partner was a Reserve.
    So...yeah, I doubt his partner would have been much help.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    4/26/2011 7:15am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Video dropped on this. Terrible camera work but there are 2 cops on the guy in addition to the jiu jitsu instructor.
    http://www.dstryrsg.com/2011/04/watc...help-cops.html
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast