Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Achievements:
    3 months registered

Posted On:
    9/04/2011 2:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to train with these guys, and I think this review is pretty unfair. First of all if you only went to a couple of lessons I very much doubt you even scratched the surface.

To counter what you've written, I found the classes enjoyable, and the majority of it I found applicable. Obviously some elements of training (classical weapons, etc) aren't going to be the most "realistic" part of modern training, but that's not what they're there for.

The people are all really nice guys, the training atmosphere is great, and while they may not spar like MT or BJJ guys, that's not their aim. In the time I trained with them, they never claimed that the art worked "in the ring" etc, and I never found them "smug".

One of the guys has a kickboxing background and hits like an ox, I think if you'd trained with him you'd have known about it. The instructor you mention who doesn't "have much skill" I believe comes from a kyokushin background, and the "huge German guy" has I think, a TKD background.

I'm not here to start a flame war, just thought I'd try and show things from another perspective.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    3 months registered

Posted On:
    9/04/2011 4:56pm

Style: JJJ/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crab View Post
    I think if you'd trained with him you'd have known about it. The instructor you mention who doesn't "have much skill" I believe comes from a kyokushin background, and the "huge German guy" has I think, a TKD background.
    Don't think, feeeeel.

Or better yet, don't waste our time with **** you're not sure about.

Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registeredTagger Second ClassRecommendation First ClassOverdrive

Posted On:
    9/04/2011 5:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If anyone is passing through Oxford and wants to learn some decent gi grappling.

Go here:
    http://www.oxfordjudo.com/

If you want a beasting ask for Ifor or Ben and tell them they're a sheep shagger or question their mother's virtue, respectively.

Administrator

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    9/04/2011 5:07pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crab View Post
    I used to train with these guys, and I think this review is pretty unfair. First of all if you only went to a couple of lessons I very much doubt you even scratched the surface.
    You are right and wrong at the same time. One class is enough to tell if an art is lacking what you want not years. Even in alive arts one or two classes are only going to scratch the surface of the art. You are comparing apples to oranges.

To counter what you've written, I found the classes enjoyable, and the majority of it I found applicable. Obviously some elements of training (classical weapons, etc) aren't going to be the most "realistic" part of modern training, but that's not what they're there for.
    Applicable where exactly?

The people are all really nice guys, the training atmosphere is great, and while they may not spar like MT or BJJ guys, that's not their aim. In the time I trained with them, they never claimed that the art worked "in the ring" etc, and I never found them "smug".
    Well many of us find the overreliance in street vs. ring argument smug.

One of the guys has a kickboxing background and hits like an ox, I think if you'd trained with him you'd have known about it. The instructor you mention who doesn't "have much skill" I believe comes from a kyokushin background, and the "huge German guy" has I think, a TKD background.
    You just used 2 ALIVE arts to back booj training. You do see the problem right?

I'm not here to start a flame war, just thought I'd try and show things from another perspective.
    You didn't.

Achievements:
    Three Friends5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Posted On:
    9/04/2011 5:56pm

Style: Kettles (MA hiatus).

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shinobivoid View Post
    I think alot of the things you said are true, alot of their techniques are usless in a real fight.But i think their idea of training outside on different and uneven ground levels is somthing that could be very useful, for example if you trained yourself to spot areas in the ground that would disrupt your opponents footing you could possibly use that to your advantage. I also think that some of the strikes they use can be very affective, such as the chops to the neck, strikes to eyes etc. I think there is much you can use from it, and you can disregard everything else that you dont think would work. Im glad to see someone actually test it for themselves before rushing to talk trash and dismiss it.
    If it's not trained in an alive manner you'd never even get a chance to use your surroundings to your advantage as you won't be able to apply anything that you've learned.

Posted On:
    10/08/2011 1:27pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have some booj friends. They don't appear smug or the likes to me. Actually very humble and don't rave all the time about Hatsumi. That aside, when we talk about our various arts I get quite envious. They do ALL sorts of stuff. Survival training. Navigation. Night fighting, stealth. Acrobatics, distance weapons and close combat...even fighting in water. I would find it difficult to compare my sport to what appears to be a complete set of survival skills. It's like trying to compare apples and pears.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsOverdriveYour first GroupTagger Second Class

Posted On:
    10/08/2011 1:36pm

Style: 'Grapplin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerVDragon View Post
    I have some booj friends. They don't appear smug or the likes to me. Actually very humble and don't rave all the time about Hatsumi. That aside, when we talk about our various arts I get quite envious. They do ALL sorts of stuff. Survival training. Navigation. Night fighting, stealth. Acrobatics, distance weapons and close combat...even fighting in water. I would find it difficult to compare my sport to what appears to be a complete set of survival skills. It's like trying to compare apples and pears.
    No, its like comparing fighting to little kids dressing up and playing ninja.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    10/08/2011 1:39pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jeebus Kraist.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Posted On:
    10/08/2011 2:01pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No it's not. My mates are level-headed, well educated people. You're just being a dick. XD
    Last edited by TigerVDragon; 10/08/2011 2:01pm at . Reason: forgot my smiley

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsOverdriveYour first GroupTagger Second Class

Posted On:
    10/08/2011 2:03pm

Style: 'Grapplin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No it's not. My mates are level-headed, well educated people. You're just being a dick. XD
    They sure are, level headed and total smart. Not being conned or anything. True Ninjas!!!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast