Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/21/2011 5:33am

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Seisa View Post
    If you read my post, you'd see that I only joined to tell people about this school. I trained with them a while ago, but just recently saw them advertising. The advert jolted my memory. I'll wander over to Newbietown later.
    I read it, mate, I read it.

Just don't expect uncritical acceptance of your Posts.

Good Luck.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/21/2011 11:40am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion View Post
    I didn't know there were ninjas in Oxford. Interesting.
    A cursory google search throws up another club, the "Ryuko Dojo", this time with a 10th dan instructor.

Not exactly secretive, these here ninjas!

On hiatus

Posted On:
    4/22/2011 2:26pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice review.

"We train at the park" is closer to a 0 then a 5 though, since there is no actual gym/dojo.

On the other hand

Muhammad Ali trained under water, so...

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Posted On:
    4/24/2011 8:43pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At least on Bullshido, there is no requirement or expectation that one tell the instructor of the school one is reviewing about your previous training, or that you are going to write an article. That would ruin our ability to do dojo reviews.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    4/25/2011 2:32am

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Seisa View Post
    Long time lurker, joined today to post this as I saw the Oxford Booj listing on Daily Info.

Seems they have a website now. I travelled down to Oxford a couple of times: (http://www.oxfordshadowwarrior.co.uk) for a couple of lessons about a year, a year and half ago.

I have 15 years experience in Muay Thai so I just wanted to see if the Booj is as ridiculous as everyone on here says it is. I kept this to myself and pretended I had no experience.

So, to start:

[....]

Pointless and redundant training. Overly complicated techniques and compliance.

In conclusion, this stuff will get their students killed or at least severely injured. They don't realise it because they drank all the kool-aid, but they belive hasumi's hype and believe they will be able to defend themselves on "the streets". The sense of smugness/confidence they have in their art is misplaced.

I don't know whether all Booj is like this, this was the closest club to me.
    Years and years of experience in LARP compliant training doesn't equal fight-applicable skills. I'd put money on anyone with 5yrs of Combat Sambo up against a 20yr Bujinkan vet, 9 of 10 random matchups I'd win money on. For REAL fighting, there are better arts out there. The Bujinkan guys who are notorious for their realism in training (such as the Israelis) bring non-compliant training elements from other arts such as Judo & Krav Maga. Those guys do Bujinkan training, esp the grappling heavy stuff from Kukishin & Takagi Yoshin Ryus, with resistance. It's good stuff when you really do it.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    4/25/2011 2:35am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Browning View Post
    At least on Bullshido, there is no requirement or expectation that one tell the instructor of the school one is reviewing about your previous training, or that you are going to write an article. That would ruin our ability to do dojo reviews.
    Exactly. Full disclosure would "ruin the sample", so to speak.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    4/25/2011 2:39am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    On the other hand

Muhammad Ali trained under water, so...
    This photo has been edited.

The cut out the whole right half of the photo containing the shark with the laser beam attached to it's frikkin' head.

Posted On:
    4/25/2011 5:21am

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude View Post
    Exactly. Full disclosure would "ruin the sample", so to speak.
    Sam and yourself may both be correct - and I take the point. For me, though, it was the his first post so it was reasonable to question his motivation and wonder why he hadn't first introduced himself in Newbietown. He might have wanted to be showered in praise for his "expose" - pardon the lack of the accent - or his prolonged MT experience and its inherent "aliveness" hence I thought it reasonable to ask questions.

On hiatus

Posted On:
    4/25/2011 10:30am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude View Post
    This photo has been edited.

The cut out the whole right half of the photo containing the shark with the laser beam attached to it's frikkin' head.
    Do lasers even work under water?

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    4/25/2011 3:30pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Do lasers even work under water?
    Does your mom work underwater? Shut Up

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast