Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    kendo, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

First post here. Long time lurker

I've been lurking these forums for a pretty long time but never registered or posted.

I practiced some aikido as a kid (which was bullshit) and I'm a Japanese American with a lot of family members who do Kendo, so I did that for about 10 years. It was fun, but I had a little bit of a fallout with some members in my dojo so I'm thinking I want to move on to some Judo and or Muay Thai.

I'm going to Minneapolis for graduate school pretty soon, so I'm wondering if someone in Minnesota can tell me: is it slim pickings there as far as good martial arts gyms go?

Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the forum.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the site.
    If you are attending the University of Minnestoa, there is a University Judo Club
    http://umnjudo.wordpress.com/

Style
    kendo, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    Welcome to the site.
    If you are attending the University of Minnestoa, there is a University Judo Club
    http://umnjudo.wordpress.com/
    Thanks for the info! I'm glad that going to the dojo will be painless

Style
    MT/BJJ/MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the site, twobits. I hope your Judo experiences are going to be just as fantastic as mine have been.

Judo is the perfect place to start for MMA, if you don't dig wrestling.

Style
    cult of crapple, ATTACK
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Welcome to the site, twobits. I hope your Judo experiences are going to be just as fantastic as mine have been.

Judo is the perfect place to start for MMA, if you don't dig wrestling.
    This being said, the university of minnesota has an outstanding wrestling program as well.

Style
    kendo, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kenny_free View Post
    This being said, the university of minnesota has an outstanding wrestling program as well.
    I'm not really interested in becoming a part of a team or anything, but it might be interesting just to learn.

That being said, I kind of got my heart set on Judo just because it sounds like it'd be a ton of fun, and most importantly for a self funded student, inexpensive. Also I like the idea that Judo is regulated and omnipresent so if I move it won't be a hassle finding a new place to practice.

I know this will probably vary from dojo to dojo but about how soon will I get to do sparring?

Side bar: I am not looking forward to re-learning breakfalls. I have a feeling my goofy adult body won't cope as well as when I learned it in aikido as a kid.

Oh and thanks for the kind words and advice, folks.

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok i switched to here to make it easier.
    My Sifu and classmates are moving back to the islands and will open another school, but it will likely be near UH.
    You did just miss a seminar by Buck Sam Kong, he's getting up there in age but he does teach good stuff.
    That said, you are correct, many CMAs can be hit or miss depending on what you are looking for.
    My style field lists cma's as that is what i have spent most of my time in.
    As a child i did Judo, boxing, wrestling, fencing, archery, riflery etc...
    I am a recreational BJJ player as well now.
    Don't get hung up on one way of doing things, "main ting have fun, yeah?"
    You have lots of options here in Hawaii, lots of options.

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, and since your family does Kendo, do you know this guy?

The first time i saw him i was riding a bike near the Japanese CC on King.
    I kinda caught them through the side of my eye and almost crashed.
    "Did i REALLY just see a legless Kendoka smacking some dude around in there??"
    lmao

Style
    Kodokan Judo/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Twobits View Post
    I'm not really interested in becoming a part of a team or anything, but it might be interesting just to learn.

That being said, I kind of got my heart set on Judo just because it sounds like it'd be a ton of fun, and most importantly for a self funded student, inexpensive. Also I like the idea that Judo is regulated and omnipresent so if I move it won't be a hassle finding a new place to practice.

I know this will probably vary from dojo to dojo but about how soon will I get to do sparring?

Side bar: I am not looking forward to re-learning breakfalls. I have a feeling my goofy adult body won't cope as well as when I learned it in aikido as a kid.

Oh and thanks for the kind words and advice, folks.
    You did Kendo for 10 years and you call randori sparring?

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Page 1 of 2 12 Last