Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/17/2011 5:12pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: knife throwing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Splinter Cell Stuff

Speculative thread, here, but if there really are operatives somewhat like those out of the Splinter Cell franchise, what sorts of weapons would they use?

Suppressed firearms in the real world aren't stealthy. They're still damn loud. They might be 30dB or so quieter than their unsuppressed brethren, and without a muzzle-flash, but if someone gets capped in the next room over from you, you'll sure as **** know it.

There are almost silent guns, however. They're not powerful at all, but can kill at pistol-range. Which is good enough for Splinter Cell-esque black ops. See the NRS gun-knife and pistols that use the same special round.

The less-than-lethal ring airfoil projectile from the games are real, though I don't know if the launchers can be made that quiet. I think they use a blank cartridge to propel the ring.

The taser bullets are now real, but they're made for a 12 gauge shotgun. Not stealthy on the fire. Though perhaps a spring or piston propelled version is workable. I like the electrolaser concept more, myself; up the milliamps and they can kill too, if that's your bag.

Of course Old School still works. Pistol crossbows that shot knife blades were used back in the Cold War days to kill guard dogs, and probably people too. And spin-less knife throwing techniques do the trick quite nicely at indoor ranges.
    Last edited by jnp; 4/17/2011 5:31pm at . Reason: removed expletive from thread title

Posted On:
    4/17/2011 5:21pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Silencers work better than you think.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    4/17/2011 8:47pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ahh, the good old Mk 23 SOCOM. Video games of yore made it seem like the ultimate death wand. I saw one used for sale in a local gun shop for like $2000. Hah, not remotely worth it.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/17/2011 8:47pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: knife throwing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Huh. That's quite impressive.

I guess it really depends upon the caliber and velocity of the round. I've heard suppressed rifles that were loud. Damage-your-eardrums loud.

Still, though, that's quite a bit louder than most movies and the games depict them. Within a building, or at relatively close range outside, people besides the target would hear that.

Sounds about as loud as the suppressor in Dr. No--point for that movie.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/17/2011 8:58pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    .45 cal is suppressible due to velocity being below the speed of sound.

Anything over is going to give you a good crack, regardless of suppressor type.

Used to build some good cans. Back in the day.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/18/2011 5:52am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Agreed. My T&J .45ACP can on my HK USP Tac is a wet/dry suppressor and when it's wet, it's quiet as ****. Quite impressive. Certainly better than either of the above ones.

Posted On:
    4/18/2011 11:22am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post
    .45 cal is suppressible due to velocity being below the speed of sound. Anything over is going to give you a good crack, regardless of suppressor type.
    This is a very important point regarding suppression, and most kids seem to ignore it because [insert video game here] showed a “silencer” on a 14″ barreled M4A1 that was quieter than their Taco Bell farts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Skeletor View Post
    Agreed. My T&J .45ACP can on my HK USP Tac is a wet/dry suppressor and when it's wet, it's quiet as ****. Quite impressive. Certainly better than either of the above ones.
    I have unintentionally scared people by knowing the difference between wet and dry sound suppressors. Also, the fact that I say “suppressor” (and sometimes “can”) instead of “silencer” has never helped me seem normal.

If we ever get together for some live fire work, I'll want to see how my hands like the venerated USP.

Posted On:
    4/30/2011 12:58am

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My hands hate the USP, but love the HK45. I could drool over an HK45 for quite a while.