MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    4/17/2011 10:51pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Guess View Post
    You know, some of this stuff would look pretty awesome in a movie, which is what I assume it was originally meant for.
    I was thinking the same. And if I ever get the chance, I'll do my best to put in one.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/17/2011 11:10pm

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    I beg to differ. If I can disengage for two seconds from a person with a knife, then we'll both have a knife. Then I can only hope they choose not to fight. As far as training it live, rubber knives are good, as well as magic markers with white t-shirts.

I will agree that it makes more sense to train unarmed against a knife more. And overly compliant dance training is worthless armed or unarmed.
    I suppose some training is better than none, but in my opinion for sparring to be effective you have to try and work in good technique. Part of the problem with knife fighting techniques is that there aren't a lot of people who can verify what works and doesn't work in a knife fight from personal experience.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmichearse View Post
    The mma video, isn't that a symptom of teaching mma as a consolidated "style"(as opposed to training different styles then later mixing them)? I mean, in most martial arts you learn techniques on a compliant partner, then when sparing, you try it out. I'm not saying it looks great, but, I wouldn't say it's the worst either.
    OK I partly agree with this. However even in that stage there should be some level of resistance, for example your partner should make sure you get them off balance before they let you throw them. I'm assuming these girls have been doing their training for less than a couple weeks, and they will get better. However learning punch punch, takedown[girl 1], sprawl, crossface, circle, rnc [girl 2] will not do anything for you if your opponent offers no resistance. The reason is all those times you can't get a technique to work and you ask your coach and they watch and correct you on a few steps or explain the concept better. This video explains it best.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/17/2011 11:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow Smoke.. I've never seen a knife defense where you let the other person stab you before you disarm them. I haven't watched the chi gong videos yet, but assuming that they are not actually combat oriented, your karate knife training video takes the cake so far!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/18/2011 12:55am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Mixed combative art

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCNRh9M9OAI

Remember, when you take you enemy's rifle, roll towards him and kick him in the face.

How do embed?
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 4/18/2011 12:57am at . Reason: embed failed

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/19/2011 11:08am

Style: yellow bamboo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pokeroo View Post
    I suppose some training is better than none, but in my opinion for sparring to be effective you have to try and work in good technique. Part of the problem with knife fighting techniques is that there aren't a lot of people who can verify what works and doesn't work in a knife fight from personal experience.
    They actually have gangs in Manila that train in Kali,and fight each other in the streets at night.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/19/2011 5:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by diducdat? View Post
    They actually have gangs in Manila that train in Kali,and fight each other in the streets at night.
    Well I only said that there aren't a lot of people who can verify what works based on experience. I didn't say that there aren't any. If you are willing perhaps you could visit Manila and try and get training from a seasoned veteran in knife fighting, then you will be aptly equipped to report back to us what works.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/19/2011 7:32pm

Style: BJJ, Boxing, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I only said that there aren't a lot of people who can verify what works based on experience. I didn't say that there aren't any. If you are willing perhaps you could visit Manila and try and get training from a seasoned veteran in knife fighting, then you will be aptly equipped to report back to us what works.
    If he survives hard sparring :D

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/19/2011 11:07pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Mixed combative art

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Check into dog brothers. They've done for stick and knife fighting what MMA has done for unarmed combat. Alive training doesn't mean death matches. Otherwise we'd all be doing Wing Chun and be too deadly too spar.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12