Page 2 of 5 First 12345 Last

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been doing quite a bit of research and scanning random forums on Eskrima... specifically unarmed Eskrima and to this point my findings have uncovered that it is extremely effective as street/survival combat.

If scanning random forums is all you've done then you have no "findings", nor have you uncovered anything. If you visit aikiweb I suspect you'll "uncover" that aikido is extremely effective as street/survival combat.

I was told by others that it is very similar to Wing Chun with rapid strikes and using angles to create an advantage.

Again, which eskrima and which wing chun are we talking about? There are multiple styles of each. Eskrima A might look identical to wing chun X, a little like chun Y, and nothing at all like chun Z.

I thought these forums may have a wealth of insight on the matter.

They definitely could. To get a better answer, I think you should post your question in the kali section of the traditional forums. I also think you should formulate a more specific question than "is eskrima better than wing chun?". Any FMA practitioners who wnt to help are going to need to know, at a minimum, what eskrima style you're looking at, the name of the instructor, and how live the training will be. They'll likely also have the same questions about your current krav maga training for comparison.

Style
    Krav Maga
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    Saying "unarmed Eskrima techniques" is like saying "Chinese food that includes noodles".
    Would you care to elaborate on that? How effective is an unarmed Eskrima/Arnis/Kali fighter in practical street fight encounters in your estimation?

Style
    Krav Maga
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dougguod View Post
    I've been doing quite a bit of research and scanning random forums on Eskrima... specifically unarmed Eskrima and to this point my findings have uncovered that it is extremely effective as street/survival combat.

If scanning random forums is all you've done then you have no "findings", nor have you uncovered anything. If you visit aikiweb I suspect you'll "uncover" that aikido is extremely effective as street/survival combat.

I was told by others that it is very similar to Wing Chun with rapid strikes and using angles to create an advantage.

Again, which eskrima and which wing chun are we talking about? There are multiple styles of each. Eskrima A might look identical to wing chun X, a little like chun Y, and nothing at all like chun Z.

I thought these forums may have a wealth of insight on the matter.

They definitely could. To get a better answer, I think you should post your question in the kali section of the traditional forums. I also think you should formulate a more specific question than "is eskrima better than wing chun?". Any FMA practitioners who wnt to help are going to need to know, at a minimum, what eskrima style you're looking at, the name of the instructor, and how live the training will be. They'll likely also have the same questions about your current krav maga training for comparison.
    Ah, thanks so much.

Style
    Siling Labuyo Arnis
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by real_loser View Post
    Would you care to elaborate on that? How effective is an unarmed Eskrima/Arnis/Kali fighter in practical street fight encounters in your estimation?
    Which school of Eskrima? Of Arnis? Of Kali? Some have a great deal of unarmed material, some don't. Many consider it what you do to hold the other guy off to give you time to pull a knife and stab him.

The problem is you've asked an incredibly vague question. There's no legitimate way to answer it.

Style
    FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because the OP left the door wide open, I'll reply based on the style of eskrima i've trained (Balintiwak). Balintiwak in the branch i've trained is an entirely stick art practiced with single stick. Some of the guys I know incorporate the stick movements into empty hand and knife, but as far as curriculum goes it is entirely a single stick art. If you want anything other than single stick i'd recommend another FMA art that includes street defense in it's curriculum.

As for comparing the eskrima i've trained to krav and chun, Balintiwak has better stick skillz.

If you want good street self defense i'd recommend a non-sport focused BJJ school. I know GJJ has gotten some flak here but the branch I train under Pedro Sauer has a decent street focus with some limited weapon defense techniques.

Style
    2 Fisted Drinking Dynamo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    Because the OP left the door wide open, I'll reply based on the style of eskrima i've trained (Balintiwak). Balintiwak in the branch i've trained is an entirely stick art practiced with single stick. Some of the guys I know incorporate the stick movements into empty hand and knife, but as far as curriculum goes it is entirely a single stick art. If you want anything other than single stick i'd recommend another FMA art that includes street defense in it's curriculum.

As for comparing the eskrima i've trained to krav and chun, Balintiwak has better stick skillz.

If you want good street self defense i'd recommend a non-sport focused BJJ school. I know GJJ has gotten some flak here but the branch I train under Pedro Sauer has a decent street focus with some limited weapon defense techniques.
    As per my teacher, unarmed technique is the point of Balintiwak. In actuality the stick is a training tool to develop/increase your reaction time. However, I'm still in the first phase of Balintiwak which teaches the weapon first and then the empty hands.

I absolutely love the stick-play, it's so much goddamn fun.

Style
    FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MAGIC HATE BALL View Post
    As per my teacher, unarmed technique is the point of Balintawak. In actuality the stick is a training tool to develop/increase your reaction time. However, I'm still in the first phase of Balintiwak which teaches the weapon first and then the empty hands.

I absolutely love the stick-play, it's so much goddamn fun.
    That's cool, I'm guessing you train under the Bobby Tabimina line of Balintawak. That's why I posted the disclaimer "Balintawak in the branch i've trained is an entirely stick art practiced with single stick." So for you guys unarmed technique may be the point of Balintiwak but the group I train with under the Bobby Taboada lineage, single stick is the curriculum. The highest level of my system requires you to develop your own techniques. This is where many guys take other arts and incorporate what they know into their Balintawak game.

Style
    2 Fisted Drinking Dynamo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    That's cool, I'm guessing you train under the Bobby Tabimina line of Balintawak. That's why I posted the disclaimer "Balintawak in the branch i've trained is an entirely stick art practiced with single stick." So for you guys unarmed technique may be the point of Balintiwak but the group I train with under the Bobby Taboada lineage, single stick is the curriculum. The highest level of my system requires you to develop your own techniques. This is where many guys take other arts and incorporate what they know into their Balintawak game.
    You are correct sir.
    Yes, I think anybody that teaches from under Bobby Toboada's lineage is going to stress some things over the other and that's cool. This "thing" of ours needs to breathe and develop if it's going to grow. A art that stays static does nobody any good.

To the OP, the unarmed Balintiwak is very effective for the street. After you learn the 12 strikes the defenses/counter-attacks, you'll enjoy the training. It's a very alive art and you'll definitely notice your progression. Plus as bonus, No goddamn katas, uniforms or fucking belts.

Style
    FMA/SAMBO
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It varies wildly. This is a huge generalization, but my main knock on a lot of FMA empty hand is my same knock on it's weapons. Going for overkill, with multiple little strikes, when you'd be better off going for a single, clean, big shot. It's tough to land multiple strikes on someone if he's throwing a tight boxer's 1-2-3 combo. Limb destructions and such have some situational validity, but it's not as great as some FMA instructors would have you think. Just focusing on a couple of knockout punches might me more useful in some cases.

The better FMA empty hand that I've seen looks like boxing. With elbows and dirty clinch work. But I've seen a lot of "Wait! Freeze while I show this 12 step technique" in FMA circles as well.

So like I first said, it varies wildly depending on the system.

Style
    2 Fisted Drinking Dynamo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RynoGreene View Post

The better FMA empty hand that I've seen looks like boxing. With elbows and dirty clinch work. But I've seen a lot of "Wait! Freeze while I show this 12 step technique" in FMA circles as well.

So like I first said, it varies wildly depending on the system.
    I've seen what your talking about. I've always looked at those moments as, "while in the clinch, these are the possible areas you can target such as a jab to eyes, chest, etc, etc. Be generous with your opponent."

I love the dirty techniques. It's why Balintiwak will never be considered a "sport".

I see you practice Sambo and FMA, you lucky duck. Your living my dream, brah.
    Last edited by MAGIC HATE BALL; 4/20/2011 8:31pm at . Reason: I know speel so good.

Page 2 of 5 First 12345 Last