Administrator

Posted On:
    4/17/2011 7:16pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Note that Kivo (reporter) asked him to leave a final message (in general), and he had to say that specific thing. The rest of the interview he was just talking as a fan of MMA and was cool about it. But his last message came over as he is too angry, takes it/himself on this matter too serious, maybe insecure, about MMA competition in general.
    Not at all. Is this the first MMA video interview you have seen? That type of comment is not only expected, but has led to people saying the UFC is heading towards WWE.

We will not see eye to on this one.

Is it because of his Chun history (not as training, but his wanting to prove its worth as a style etc), hmmm dunno.
    I kind of think this is what is currently coloring your perceptions. You are applying his rant and stupidity, from one video, to a completely different situation. He barely reps wing chun and acknowledges his BJJ then does the posturing that is common in MMA and Boxing.

And those characteristics, I consider douchey. And again he only showed them in that last message, not the rest of the video.
    That's fine. I asked for something showing why he acted out of character as I had never seen a video of him being douchey.

You give me one with a hint of smack talking prevalent in MMA. We will disagree on this point.

:)

Posted On:
    4/17/2011 7:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For the sake of anyone reading who's not playing-idiot, I'll 'enlighten'
    Quote Originally Posted by kowloonboy View Post
    Vertical Punch in my opinion is much faster and cause more damage than any other punch, as they are slow.
    unlike point sparring, or compliant drills, in full contact/full pressure sparring, small (though quick) shots can be eaten wholly or partially in order to deliver telling blows. Eating 2 or 3 chainpunches, to deliver a good right cross, or left-hook to the liver, with the weight planted, and using hip rotation for added power, is a good trade-off. Wing chun counts on people flinching from every blow, and being debilitated by anything. Not turning the hips = no power.
    Wing Chun Kicks are faster than other kicks, such as Thai kick.
    If they are faster, it's because they have no power behind them. Like with punches, if you don't turn the hip into the kick, it will have minimal effect. If kicking without power, it's really just standing on one leg, momentarily, waiting to get.

• countered
    • catch-and-countered
    • tackled

Grappling, we do chi sao so it will be near impossible to attack.
    that statement is predicated on someone standing close, and maintaining contact. Not alive, not resistant, not well translated to full power/pressure situations.
    Ground attack, opponent have to be able to grab us first. :)
    and they will. At that point someone's in trouble. To be more specific...

• The triangle stance is prone to takedowns, and all manner of attacks. It's just not a solid way to stand, if someone wants to brace against power from the front.
    • Weak kicks and punches, though fast, are generally not a high percentage defense against determined attempts to take-down, or pounce-and-pummel. A weak attacker is also left prone to counter-punching, or simply the simultaneous trading of punches/kicks.
    • The center-line guard of wing chun is specifically weak against feints, as an attempt to make-and-maintain contact is coming. Jab left-hook is a wonderful solution to the wc guard, as I've found out myself. It's just too easy. Mix it up with low kicks, and you're golden.
    • Lack of resistance, and compliant drills in training leaves much speculation as to the potential effectiveness of even 'master' chunners.

Please advise, as I need enlightenment.
    0/10 for what appears to be a troll-job. Someone might need enlightenment though.

Posted On:
    4/17/2011 7:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kowloonboy View Post
    I have been doing many martial arts, and I am considering to pick Wing Chun as the traditional fighting art which I want to gain Instructor grade in.

Some feedback, I am puzzle as I have been doing Boxing, BJJ, Muay Thai, Hung Gar, Hapkido, Prayer Mantis, Kick Boxing, JKD, TKD and many others. But I just don't know why, when I encounter a fight I will naturally use Wing Chun.

Is this a good system to be come a Sifu of? If not why? I am also looking to be able to use a fighting skill which I can use when I am 70 years old.
    If you really want to be able to fight at 70 may i suggest a gun?

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/17/2011 7:21pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    IIRC Shawn lost all his fights until he started training in BJJ and at a proper MMA school and not just sticking to the Chun.
    Yes, and I have posted the articles where he admits as much. Something happened that turned him into a super chun repper.

I mean **** he actually repped his BJJ in the second video.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/17/2011 7:22pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Yeah, 7 years ago. Those other fights were fairly recent.

On hiatus

Posted On:
    4/17/2011 7:24pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, thought it was the other way around.

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/17/2011 7:28pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, he was brought up in at least 5 chun threads on bullshido. I can get the threads so, we don't rehash his entire career in another YMAS Chun thread.

Until I see more, that idiotic rant is an aberration for me.

Posted On:
    4/17/2011 8:33pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was approached by someone the other day who was a wing chun guy. The delusion was there, "pressure points" were brought up as an example of it. I think the main thing that got me chuckling on the inside (I had to maintain a cool exterior as he was a customer in my mate's shop, engaging in put downs is not good for business, I've been informed), was the sudden and inexplicable explanation that the vertical fist is much more stable than the horizontal one preferred by boxers. He proved this by balling a fist horizontally and grabbing it with his other hand (?!?) and showing that it could break the wrist, then showing that when it is vertical the movement is diminished, therefore the chance of breaking the wrist is reduced. The wrist STILL HAS THE SAME FUCKING RANGE OF MOVEMENT WHETHER VERTICAL OR HORIZONTAL, meaning the koolaid had been drank, swam in, urinated in and drank again. Furthermore, in order to break something, YOU HAVE TO HAVE POWER BEHIND IT, which boxers tend to have. My inner comedian was having a field day.

I just kept on saying, "yeah, thats why I like judo/ jiu jitsu. I'll hug you to stop you from punching me, take you to the ground any way possible and make you **** your pants when I choke you out."

Fortunately he was aware of his no-having-ground-game-ness and said he was looking for a BJJ academy, mainly because as a black sash he didn't feel he was progressing that much anymore. I said, "good."

I directed him to bullshido.net. I also told him to read and not post for a while. I hope the OP isn't him.

Posted On:
    4/17/2011 8:51pm

Style: BJJ, formerly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    You know what? That vid is weird. He was never that assholish about his chun. I would love to know what shifted and made him suddenly an irrational chun apologist. Honestly, I wish they would have given him chance.

To be fair he lost his chance at M-1 and I've seen worse attitudes in the ring.
    Has he been on the site? The way you write this gives me the impression he has been.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/17/2011 9:05pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, he has been discussed and posted up as a Chun guardian. Every article, post, or whatever is pretty much like the second video. He strikes with Chun and knows BJJ helped him him win.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast