Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/16/2011 7:04pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A true martial artist will not respond to this posting in a negative manner.

It is my understanding that all chinese martial arts have longfist as their root; meaning good training in the general longfist style will prepare you for training in virtually any other chinese martial art. Why? because they all utilize the same basic principles and ideals. You could say longfist is the more predominant style. As to your 2nd question: All martial arts may have some form of grappling within their training. They probably dont focus enough on it as it pertains to their art. In my experience, the chinese arts focus a lot of body control...yours and theirs. You could say its a different aspect of grappling. Not the standard definition that most would apply to the term grappling. (meaning rush get on the ground and wrestle). If you train long enough in the chinese arts, you will learn how to control. And control is the key.
    And I am basing that statement on experience with very knowledgeable and skilled instructors/practitioners who truly know how to use their art. These are the people that you will not see posted in videos everywhere.

As to what art is best for a bigger person: I say it all depends on that persons abilities. Granted some styles seem to work best for the bigger guys, but you have to understand that what you are basing that decision on may not be full and complete information. It will all boil down to what you are physically capable of doing or possibly doing in the future with the right training. In addition, it may depend on the reason "why" you are studying. Is it for health, fitness, discipline, defense....? Your best approach is to find a good school and try it out. Go...watch the class, watch the teacher and students, try it and decide for yourself if this is something you want to pursue.

hope this helps
    RLM

Posted On:
    4/16/2011 7:20pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First off decide why you are practicing. What is your reason for learning? Then you can choose traditional or modern or such. Some schools only teach the traditional system while others may modify their style in ways. If you want to learn primarily for health and fitness; find a traditional chinese kung fu school and stick with it. In time...you will progress to the point where you can take your training to the next level - or reality phase. Then you will be able to see how your art can and is suppose to work.

I've been practicing and teaching for 30 yrs. Primarily Chinese longfist. I learned it for fitness and health. But I have also learned, after a long time of practice, that there are aspects to it that readily fit into this reality phase. A true chinese martial arts school will teach you many things; discipline, respect, relaxation, posture control and awareness, stress reduction, global awareness, body kinetics and control for example. These virtues are what will help you in life.
    And by that I mean you learn not to fight. You learn not to be in such a situation. You learn control and you become a better person. The martial arts....ALL martial arts teach one to be a better person. That is their goal. You can disagree with that all you like, but in the end, if you stick to the training and follow the principles, you will become a better person. As my old Aikido Sensei (Tajaki Ishida Sensei 8th dan dec.) once said, "Aikido is for you" Meaning Martial arts is for YOU.

So if your interested in the chinese arts.....do your research. Dont just take for granted what you read here. research....study the school(s), watch, ask the teacher AND students intelligent questions about their art(s). Verify what you see and hear. And when you make your choice, stick with it long enough to actually learn the true art. Anyone who has trained for only a short time in a chinese martial art will have very little understanding of just what that art really is. Adhere to the true meaning of kung fu: discipline and perseverance over time.

Sometimes the best school is not the most advertised one, or the big name one. Part of the process of learning is you have to find me. If you really want to learn, you will take the time to learn about what it is you want to learn.

I know this was somewhat generic....but the best advise I can give you is do your homework.
    Investigate. Find a school where the teacher really cares about the student...where the student is first and the dollar is secondary. Find a school where the students REALLY understand just what their arts is.

If you need more help...let me know.....I have a few connections and can point you towards some real good teachers and practitioners who can help you find a good school.

R.Martin
    PBICMHC

Posted On:
    4/16/2011 7:28pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you forget about Carry the Tiger back to the mountain. Its done from a Tai Chi horse stance and its a throwing technique. In no way have I ever seen this stance, properly done and used, negate any principle about body control, alignment, balance, structure or movement. Improperly done...yes I've seen it break every rule in the book and a few no one has heard of!

Posted On:
    4/16/2011 7:55pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Cheng Man Ching Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pbicmhc View Post
    you forget about Carry the Tiger back to the mountain. Its done from a Tai Chi horse stance
    It's not a horse stance, it's a shifting forward stance.

and its a throwing technique.
    That movement has multiple applications.

In no way have I ever seen this stance, properly done and used, negate any principle about body control, alignment, balance, structure or movement. Improperly done...yes I've seen it break every rule in the book and a few no one has heard of!
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I used to **** guys like you in prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Dude I kill people for a fucking living.

Dipshit

Posted On:
    4/16/2011 8:11pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    of course it has multiple applications. I never stated it did not. As to it being a shifting forward stance, I am unsure just what you mean by that. If I shift forward I am putting my structure in an off balanced state and that breaks the standard structural principles and concepts defining the art(s). And it is a horse stance. Its called ma bu. Any practitioner who truly understands their art will know this.

I'm not here to argue semantics. I am here to assist others in genuinely understanding their arts. One has to keep an open mind to reality and truth to truly understand. If you disagree with my experience and statements, fine....but back your disagreement up with factual information. That way everyone can learn....including myself.

Posted On:
    4/16/2011 8:22pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    to name a few:
    carry tiger back to mountain.
    wave hands like clouds
    qi gong standing post (all tai chi has qi gong in it)

When you come across the right teacher, you will see how effective a horse stance can be and how it can be utilized. Take the time to learn more of the art and you might just see this.

I think tai chi might help you, as long as its the good stuff, the kind that teaches how to properly use the body thru control, kinetics and structure alignment. If its just hand waving...forget it. But if you can delve into its true concepts and ideals, you may find a treasure trove of information that you can adjust to fit the style your currently practicing.

Lastly a real good master can show you a horse stance where 1 leg has 100% of the body weight while the other has 0%. And you wont be able to tell which leg. I have seen it done.
    I have seen my teacher sit in a horse stance, pick up one leg, hold it up (not shifting his body) and just look at you. And this was done from a thighs parallel position. That alone should tell you that the horse stance is useful and better be taught in a proper tai chi class. practice of the horse stance is good for body conditioning, relaxation, control, and calmness under tension. Ideals you need in your Judo training.

Posted On:
    4/16/2011 10:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Cheng Man Ching Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    of course it has multiple applications. I never stated it did not.
    In that case your statement was ambiguous. You seemed to indicate that it was a throw.

As to it being a shifting forward stance, I am unsure just what you mean by that. If I shift forward I am putting my structure in an off balanced state and that breaks the standard structural principles and concepts defining the art(s).
    Do you practice Taijiquan? You seem to be naming a Taijiquan technique. Placing equal weight on both legs implies what's referred to in the art as double weightedness, and within the framework of the art its generally considered a bad thing.

And it is a horse stance. Its called ma bu. Any practitioner who truly understands their art will know this.
    I know what a horse stance is.
    I also know that carry tiger to mountain is a cat stance shifting to archer stance.

I'm not here to argue semantics. I am here to assist others in genuinely understanding their arts.
    Thanks for your assistance.
    What's your qualification?
    My apologies if I missed your newbietown intro.

One has to keep an open mind to reality and truth to truly understand. If you disagree with my experience and statements, fine....but back your disagreement up with factual information. That way everyone can learn....including myself.
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I used to **** guys like you in prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Dude I kill people for a fucking living.

Dipshit

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/16/2011 10:20pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is my understanding that all chinese martial arts have longfist as their root; meaning good training in the general longfist style will prepare you for training in virtually any other chinese martial art. Why? because they all utilize the same basic principles and ideals. You could say longfist is the more predominant style.
    Whoa wait what? Sorry to say this to you sifu but that statement is loaded bunch of bullshit.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    4/16/2011 10:41pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lastly a real good master can show you a horse stance where 1 leg has 100% of the body weight while the other has 0%. And you wont be able to tell which leg.
    I can't believe you just shat on physics with a Taiji claim (and with Sri no less). Please....draw us a sketch (MS paint will do fine) of the absurd, gravity defying ma bu you are claim you've seen.

I'm glad I was already subscribed to this thread...proceed.

Oh and you should have posted in Newbietown first.

What happens next is your own fault.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    4/16/2011 10:45pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    Whoa wait what? Sorry to say this to you sifu but that statement is loaded bunch of bullshit.
    You should see what else he's posted.

He has seen taiji masters do ma bu on one leg!
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast