Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/17/2011 10:51am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Losing my aggression

Losing my Aggression in Jiu Jitsu
    Brazilian jiu jitsu is usually thought of as the Arte Suave, the gentle art. Aggression has itís place in the sport, though. The aggression helps in tournaments, it helps you push through, and drive for more. I always thought I was a very aggressive grappler. I pushed the pace, went for techniques, tried whatever I could to win. Even when I was a new white belt I just kind of went for it, not in the crazy way but I kept trying to move, kept trying to do the techniques I was taught. I just went for it.

At tournaments I was even more aggressive. Looking at videos of my past competitions, I was much more aggressive as a young blue belt. I didnít talk to anyone at the tournament that could have been in my division until after I competed. I had no fear, I wanted to win. I wanted to make everyone proud. I wanted to live up to my expectations. My theory was, what my coach taught me is good technique. I train hard, and I am getting better and better at the techniques. What I have been taught is better than what they have been taught. I am strong, confident, with better conditioning and technique. If I lose, itís not because they are better than me but because I made the mistake. And I could tell you exactly which technique I did wrong. I remember explaining this to a teammate in Indianapolis once, he gave me a weird look and told me thatís not how I should think, I should make friends and know that Iím gonna get beat at some point by someone better than me.MonkeyScrotumCleaning.tv Iíve made friends with some of the girls Iíve competed against, but Iíve always made sure to not talk to them before competing.

I can still tell you where I went wrong after a match. Sometimes though, Iím at a loss for what I need to do right. My technique is right, but I just canít do itÖ My coach Robert says itís because Iím not being aggressive, Iím not pushing, Iím being too passive.MonkeyScrotumCleaning.tv Honestly that is pretty new. I can remember being aggressive. I can remember the events that made me stop being aggressive, and now that they are gone, I still have that mental block.. Now I have to push to be aggressive. I will be going and training with another team every once and a while. Itís our sister school. Iíve never been here but it is a very different school. Much more aggressive, much rougher. Iíll have to work, be aggressive and fight hard. If this is what I need to do to get my aggressive edge back I will willingly do it.

This is the most recent post on my blog... Any support or advice would be greatly appreciated....
    Http://navitabjj.blogspot.com

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    4/17/2011 11:18am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's up with the monkeyscrotumcleaning.tv?

Aggression does not equal being rough or fighting hard. Consider that..

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/17/2011 11:31am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the monkeyscrotum (lol) thing isn't in her original post on the blog. probably a very weird hacking is going on somewhere.

anyways, one of my goals has always been to cultivate the ability switch on the focus, determination and aggression when i need it. to be in complete control of my mental state, be able to walk on the mat and just mentally be where i need to be. smile and shake hands seconds before the fight, then go into zen killing machine mode. i hate being really nervous hours beforehand and wasting so much energy.

i consider this part of my training, just like doing weights, rolling or running.

Posted On:
    4/17/2011 11:33am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    the monkeyscrotum (lol) thing isn't in her original post on the blog. probably a very weird hacking is going on somewhere.

anyways, one of my goals has always been to cultivate the ability switch on the focus, determination and aggression when i need it. to be in complete control of my mental state, be able to walk on the mat and just mentally be where i need to be. smile and shake hands seconds before the fight, then go into zen killing machine mode. i hate being really nervous hours beforehand and wasting so much energy.

i consider this part of my training, just like doing weights, rolling or running.
    That is absolutely part of training, and one of the goals of training in general. Not sure many people realize that, though.

Ben

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/17/2011 11:42am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i agree. and people do seem to forget or neglect this.

Posted On:
    4/17/2011 12:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    What's up with the monkeyscrotumcleaning.tv?

Aggression does not equal being rough or fighting hard. Consider that..

Ben
    I think its a bug in the site every so often people will post links or vids and that 'monkeyscrotumcleaning.tv' will appear in the url or video description. Weird.

Navita, here's an option. I don't know where you live but try finding a good quality Judo club near you with some women dan grades there. They'll likely have a default setting that is quite aggressive might jolt you into stepping up your game to deal with them.

In fact if you watch women's Judo contests they're much more brutal and agressive than the mens.

As Danno says though its pretty much all mental. I think the fact that you used to have that agression is probably a good sign because it means you naturally have the side to your character. I find I need a little spur to get aggressive now, because like you I'm focused on being technically clean and doing that requires concentration, calm and precision. That's difficult to maintain whilst being stereotypically aggressive.

When you're lower down the grades it easier to combine aggression with 'technique' because you don't have such a decent grasp over the techniques and so can miss the flaws as you're being aggressive. Harder once you get more proficient.

Posted On:
    4/17/2011 1:21pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like to mix agression with clean technique. Maybe call it combative attitude and it will be more appealing. Definitly a certain mindset.

Ben

Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/17/2011 6:48pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I definitely had aggression... And my female teammates were super aggressive too.. I moved to washigton joined a school, and my aggression became a problem... I was told I was too emotional (which I admit can happen) I was told I was too aggressive, and no one liked to train with me, and any time I tried o be more aggressive or get angry or work to train harder, I was humiliated in front of the entire team. The coach would troll at me saying that I was bein too emotional, I was being too rough, etc. (in a 125 lb girl) so I stopped. He only put me with new people so I had to play slow and nice, I let people win and stoppe tryig because I didn't want to get embarrassed..

I left the team, my new coach is struggling to find a way to get me to fight hard because I was yelled at/ embarrassed so badly in my old gym. So this school I will be visiting has a much rougher attitude than where I am training. Hopefully the once a week there will help bring my natural aggression back

Thank you guys so much for the advice so far

Posted On:
    4/17/2011 9:30pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Navita View Post
    I definitely had aggression... And my female teammates were super aggressive too.. I moved to washigton joined a school, and my aggression became a problem... I was told I was too emotional (which I admit can happen) I was told I was too aggressive, and no one liked to train with me, and any time I tried o be more aggressive or get angry or work to train harder, I was humiliated in front of the entire team. The coach would troll at me saying that I was bein too emotional, I was being too rough, etc. (in a 125 lb girl) so I stopped. He only put me with new people so I had to play slow and nice, I let people win and stoppe tryig because I didn't want to get embarrassed..

I left the team, my new coach is struggling to find a way to get me to fight hard because I was yelled at/ embarrassed so badly in my old gym. So this school I will be visiting has a much rougher attitude than where I am training. Hopefully the once a week there will help bring my natural aggression back

Thank you guys so much for the advice so far
    In Judo competition, especially among serious competitors, the women are known as the most aggressive fighters.

The coach that berated you is an idiot. There are others ways to help people understand their emotions. Training in martial arts/combat sports is a direct way to experience aggression/anger/fear/adrenaline overload in a controlled environment with rules in place that everyone agrees to ahead of time with (hopefully) like minded people.

Please keep in mind what I wrote: aggession does not necessarily equal being angry/overemotional/out of control/too rough/trying to hurt people/training partners/opponents in matches. You've experienced no "aggressive" feelings, and have explored the upper ends to some extent it sounds like. That's a good way to find the middle.

My judo sensei (although he refused to be called sensei), used to tell me not to get angry, get determined.

Keep training!

Ben

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    4/17/2011 10:54pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aggression during sparring is relative to your experience as well as your training partner's. As a purple belt, you are entirely capable of aggressively pursuing position as well as submissions without being a flailing mat spaz. Set a goal from any given position and pursue it with intent. On the other hand, no one is saying you have to crush the white belts when you roll with them. Different training partners dictate different levels of intensity.

As a higher rank in the BJJ world, sometimes you have training partners that are junior and need coaching, other times you train with your equals or those above you. You may also have training partners who have injuries. Therefore, it is advantageous to be able to adjust the intensity of any individual randori session depending on your training partner's skill level. The trick is training with the right kind of partner depending on your needs.

If it's time to train for a tournament, spend less time mentoring those junior to you and more time with your betters. Otherwise, invest in your gym and spend some time helping out the whites and blues, but don't neglect your own training in the process.

One last thing, I agree with BKR when he stated that the coach who berated you for being aggressive is an idiot. Women should only be discouraged from being ferocious when they overextend themselves while doing so.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast