Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last
  1. #11
    Permalost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    13,674
    Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Buy a ninja costume, then discard the hood, jacket, pants and tabi. Or don't: you're a black belt now, so you might as well dress like a ninja.

  2. #12
    Larus marinus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NW England
    Posts
    3,061
    Style
    Nothing - yet
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Buy a ninja costume, then discard the hood, jacket, pants and tabi. Or don't: you're a black belt now, so you might as well dress like a ninja.
    Would it be acceptable for a ninja to wear a black belt when out on a mission, even if he was only actually (say) an orange belt - for the sake of concealment?

  3. #13
    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    9,084
    Style
    Kodokan Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Buy white belt. Dye it black. Get fancy gold kanji/hirigana/katakan embroidered on it.

    There you go, security measures circumvented.

    Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

  4. #14
    jnp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,358
    Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I spent five years as a purple belt in BJJ. During the last two years I came very close to not giving a damn about the color of the belt I wore around my waist. However, the happiness and elation I experienced after receiving my brown indicates to me that I hadn't given up my desire to be promoted as much as I thought I had.

    What's interesting (well, maybe not to you) is that every time that I've been promoted in BJJ, for a few hours afterward I feel like I'm more of a badass than I was before the promotion. Then the rosy glow fades a bit and I realize that I am the exact same bastard that I was before.

    So for me, being belted to the next rank is a bit of a roller coaster on the first day.

  5. #15
    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    9,084
    Style
    Kodokan Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    I spent five years as a purple belt in BJJ. During the last two years I came very close to not giving a damn about the color of the belt I wore around my waist. However, the happiness and elation I experienced after receiving my brown indicates to me that I hadn't given up my desire to be promoted as much as I thought I had.

    What's interesting (well, maybe not to you) is that every time that I've been promoted in BJJ, for a few hours afterward I feel like I'm more of a badass than I was before the promotion. Then the rosy glow fades a bit and I realize that I am the exact same bastard that I was before.

    So for me, being belted to the next rank is a bit of a roller coaster on the first day.
    When I was promoted to shodan, I felt pretty good. Then I showed up for class and my coach literally threw into every corner in of the dojo during randori for about 10 minutes. His comment was "I see your ukemi is pretty good".

    Then he pinned, choked, and arm barred me for another 10 minutes, and told me "I see you know when to tap".

    So much for being a black belt.

    Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

  6. #16
    Colin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Tasmania, Australia
    Posts
    3,122
    Style
    MT/BJJ/MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    When I was promoted to shodan, I felt pretty good. Then I showed up for class and my coach literally threw into every corner in of the dojo during randori for about 10 minutes. His comment was "I see your ukemi is pretty good".

    Then he pinned, choked, and arm barred me for another 10 minutes, and told me "I see you know when to tap".

    So much for being a black belt.

    Ben
    Pushups

  7. #17
    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    BKR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    9,084
    Style
    Kodokan Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Pushups
    No thanks, my right shoulder hurt like hell. How about some light stretching instead?

    Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

  8. #18
    Colin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Tasmania, Australia
    Posts
    3,122
    Style
    MT/BJJ/MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heh, maybe my reference wasn't clear enough. When you press the +reputation button to credit someone's post (the sheriff star below the avatar) and you have already credited them recently, it (bullshido forum) tells you to go do some pushups.

  9. #19
    DCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,646
    Style
    Jits
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    Then the rosy glow fades a bit and I realize that I am the exact same bastard that I was before.
    Rank gains meaning by being meaningless.

  10. #20
    judoka_uk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,619
    Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The best thing to come out of this thread is Pizdoff's comment in my rep thingy

    How can so little mean so much?
    I THOUGHT THIS WAS ABOUT YOUR PEEPEE LOLOLOLOL

Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO