225205 Bullies, 4116 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 63
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. ShouBox is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    25

    Posted On:
    4/18/2011 11:16pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Brain Damage Safe Stand-up

    What would be the safest(avoiding brain trauma) and most effective way of stand-up training for the long run?

    MT w/o sparring?
    No-head contact sparring MA?
  2. Omega Supreme is offline

    Administrator

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    22,986

    Posted On:
    4/18/2011 11:17pm

    staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You sir are a *****.
  3. ShouBox is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    25

    Posted On:
    4/18/2011 11:25pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    You sir are a *****.
    ShouBox: I want to avoid things hitting my head.
    Omega: "You sir are a *****"

    (implicit meaning)
    ShouBox: I want to avoid major impacts to the head because it'll probably decrease my short term memory functions and effect my pituitary gland negatively. And so, these factors would also negatively effect my social(personality traits are effected by brain trauma), academic life(short term memory often reflects academic success). And in terms, cause me to be less happy in the long run.

    Omega: You're inferior to people that follow the "non-*****" norms of the group. And, you're acting outside of the group norms and shows traits of what we call "*****". So, it would be a good idea to show my superiority over you so I can gain self-esteem from group acceptance. My actions are driven by conformity which is a concept taught in 1st year psych.
    Last edited by ShouBox; 4/18/2011 11:39pm at .
  4. P Marsh is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    500

    Posted On:
    4/18/2011 11:26pm


     Style: Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I'd hazard a guess I'd say Kyokushin since you'll only get kicked in the head. But if you're avoiding brain damage at all costs you could just go with Wing Chun, I'm pretty sure no one has been sent to the hospital after a slapping match between two limp-wrists on meth.
  5. TheMightyMcClaw is offline
    TheMightyMcClaw's Avatar

    MADE OF STEEL!

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    3,434

    Posted On:
    4/18/2011 11:50pm

    supporting member
     Style: MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Head trauma in sparring is only an issue if you have some sort of medical condition. As a normal healthy adult, you're not going to develop brain issues unless you are subjected to multiple concussions in rapid succession. This occasionally happens to professional boxers (and, if I'm not mistaken, sometimes football players), but that's about it. Even pro MMA guys have very low rates of head trauma, and none of the retirees of the sport have developed any Mohammed Ali-like mental tics.
    So yeah, don't worry. Period sparring is not going to hurt you.
    Also, Omega's subtle sense of humor requires some time to get the hang of.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.
  6. Omega Supreme is offline

    Administrator

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    22,986

    Posted On:
    4/18/2011 11:58pm

    staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ShouBox View Post
    ShouBox: I want to avoid things hitting my head.
    Omega: "You sir are a *****"

    (implicit meaning)
    ShouBox: I want to avoid major impacts to the head because it'll probably decrease my short term memory functions and effect my pituitary gland negatively. And so, these factors would also negatively effect my social(personality traits are effected by brain trauma), academic life(short term memory often reflects academic success). And in terms, cause me to be less happy in the long run.

    Omega: You're inferior to people that follow the "non-*****" norms of the group. And, you're acting outside of the group norms and shows traits of what we call "*****". So, it would be a good idea to show my superiority over you so I can gain self-esteem from group acceptance. My actions are driven by conformity which is a concept taught in 1st year psych.
    No it means you should be taking knitting because you're too much of a wuss to actually take part in an activity where contact is implied. You are the reason why there Canadians of the world are thought of as a bunch of faggots.

    BTW 1st year of psychology goes into schools of thought and history. Try to pretend that you have brain cells if you plan on trying to save them.
  7. Omega Supreme is offline

    Administrator

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    22,986

    Posted On:
    4/18/2011 11:59pm

    staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    Head trauma in sparring is only an issue if you have some sort of medical condition. As a normal healthy adult, you're not going to develop brain issues unless you are subjected to multiple concussions in rapid succession. This occasionally happens to professional boxers (and, if I'm not mistaken, sometimes football players), but that's about it. Even pro MMA guys have very low rates of head trauma, and none of the retirees of the sport have developed any Mohammed Ali-like mental tics.
    So yeah, don't worry. Period sparring is not going to hurt you.
    Also, Omega's subtle sense of humor requires some time to get the hang of.
    No humor I actually think the guy's a *****.
  8. TheMightyMcClaw is offline
    TheMightyMcClaw's Avatar

    MADE OF STEEL!

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    3,434

    Posted On:
    4/19/2011 12:14am

    supporting member
     Style: MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was also going to add something about how if he's concerned for his academic career, he should probably stop taking psych classes.
    Then I remembered how I spent my own undergraduate studying medieval Chinese literature, and decided to remain silent on the issue.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.
  9. ProfessorChaos is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    99

    Posted On:
    4/19/2011 12:24am

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Mixed combative art

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ShouBox View Post
    What would be the safest(avoiding brain trauma) and most effective way of stand-up training for the long run?

    MT w/o sparring?
    No-head contact sparring MA?
    Moderate sparring doesn't cause brain damage. I think sparring should be done hard on occasion, but most of the time moderate is good enough.

    The guy who called you a ***** is an administrator on this site, so good luck with that.

    MT w/o sparring is like decaf coffee, non-alcoholic beer, or Family Matters without Urkel.
  10. 100xobm is offline
    100xobm's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,206

    Posted On:
    4/19/2011 12:26am


     Style: BJJ, formerly Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a Bsc in psychology. Kinda wish someone just punched me in the face instead.

    no seriously. OP should just take the beating, psych gives you fuckall, but it does get you laid. The tradeoff is that psych chicks are self-obsessed and fucked up, and not in that fun way.
    Last edited by 100xobm; 4/19/2011 12:33am at .
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.