fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 4:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Thing is 'sensei' doesn't mean anything in English. Professor has a very distinct meaning in English and to go around calling yourself professor when you aren't one is silly and possibly illegal in some jurisdictions.
    In English-speaking countries except the USA professor has the distinct meaning of University teacher with a PhD or MD.

In the Spanish-Portugees-France speaking countries Professor just means teacher as is given to anyone who teaches in a school, technical school, institute, college or university. There a teacher at a university is refered to as an "University professor"

Professor just means a teacher of high rank in arts or sciences, nothing more. That some English speaking countries gave their defenition to professor doesn't mean that it is the world standard.
    In fact there are more Spanish speakers in the world than English speakers (and in the case of "Professor", the USA, Portugal, Brazil and the French speaking countries are on the same side as the Spanish speaking countries).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 4:29pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zendokan View Post
    In English-speaking countries except the USA professor has the distinct meaning of University teacher with a PhD or MD.

In the Spanish-Portugees-France speaking countries Professor just means teacher as is given to anyone who teaches in a school, technical school, institute, college or university. There a teacher at a university is refered to as an "University professor"

Professor just means a teacher of high rank in arts or sciences, nothing more. That some English speaking countries gave their defenition to professor doesn't mean that it is the world standard.
    In fact there are more Spanish speakers in the world than English speakers (and in the case of "Professor", the USA, Portugal, Brazil and the French speaking countries are on the same side as the Spanish speaking countries).
    Ahh come on man. All the BJJ players on here and all the retards amongst them and the only person I can get a raise off is you. Goddamn spoiling my fun.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 5:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yet, us English speakers have more bombs, and we have bigger bombs too. It's rough having so many weapons of mass destruction. :)

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 5:42pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Mixed combative art

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What if you're named after the alter-ego of an 8 year old cartoon character?

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 6:01pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    What if you're named after the alter-ego of an 8 year old cartoon character?
    Then you can only call yourself that while you wear the foil hat.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 6:16pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Mixed combative art

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Then you can only call yourself that while you wear the foil hat.

The funny thing is, I have one for fight entrances. I just need to drop some weight and start fighting again. That's what I miss about Pride FC. Pro-wrestling style entrances.

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 6:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by C0WB0Y View Post
    I've always thought it was reserved for 2nd degree Black Belts and above. But I know this newbie BB that's rockin' the mantle of Professor.

Is he as full of **** as I think?
    Does he also suffix his name with 'D.MSc. BB.' on business cards and such?

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 8:37pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, that’s not really true. There are more native Spanish speakers than there are native English speakers, but there are more overall English speakers than there are overall Spanish speakers, because English is so common as a second language.

Everything else you said is true, of course, and I am only pedantic out of bitterness that I wasted time composing a very erudite answer (featuring such wonderful words as “paronym”, “heteronymous”, and “doublet”) only to find that I had somehow missed your post and a good answer already given.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 9:12pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    <- as an academic

I agree with Judoka. Perhaps if you are speaking French at your french savate class, it's appropriate to call the teacher 'le Proffesseur'.

However,
    If you yourself speak English, to use the word 'professor' in ANY other capacity than talking about someone qualified at the very highest level of education (tenured academic, as judoka described) then I believe you are attempting to transfer some sort of academic recognition to the martial artist comparable with a professor of the other arts or sciences.
    (this is a combination of nuthugging and delusory fantasty in the same braeth)

Would you call your BJJ coach "Doctor" ?

No.

And yet "Doctor" carries far less academic connotations than Professor.
    People who like to be called professor, like to call others professor, or just generally like the sound of the word professor, should just go to France and speak French.

Here, in the English speaking world - that word has a distinct meaning.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 9:39pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I found it a little weird the first time I encountered it but it does seem to be a regular thing in some BJJ associations. However I've yet to encounter anyone, even high ranking BBs, who insists on it... and have witnessed a good many BBs (including ones from associations where the "professor thing" is pretty commons) who've laughed at being called that. I see nothing sacred about the word and I think you'd have to be pretty stupid to hear it used in a BJJ context and think it was somehow referring to holding an academic posts. If the guy is really being too pretentious I'm sure his peers/superiors will put him in his place soon enough.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast