fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    3/29/2012 5:35pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Sleepless View Post
    There are more Mandarin/Cantonese speakers than everyone else in the world and "Professor" distinctly means a Univerisity Doctorate Holder who teaches and has a plethora of academic achievements.

Booyah.
    It's easier to see in the Spanish word profesor, the French word professeur and the Italian word professore that we are talking about a Latin-based language, but it's the Portuguese word professor we are talking about that is used in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, not the English word professor.
    Same way of writing, slightly different way of pronunciation.

I thought that Jio Shu (教 授) was professor in Pinyin.

Booyah back ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/30/2012 1:04am

Style: bjj, boxing, ex-iwama ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    as a Uni teacher with a PhD I find myself contantly telling people i'm NOT a professor.

Posted On:
    3/31/2012 10:08am

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Illiterate Punk
    There are more Mandarin/Cantonese speakers than everyone else in the world and "Professor" distinctly means a Univerisity Doctorate Holder who teaches and has a plethora of academic achievements.
    And Cantonese is the language the brazilians speak.

Zendo is correct about the use of the word in Latin based languages.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/01/2012 4:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    I guess you didn't read the thread.
    I posted a pic of "Professor" Wally Jay, complete with the title on the image.
    He's been using the title for decades.
    He's from Hawai'i so the language thing is a red herring imo (In an English speaking context) as Professor Jay is the first person i heard of using the title in J(i)u Jitsu.
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    People who aren't aware of the history of the word "Professor" in English, or the fact that it means different things in different cultures, are apt to jump to the conclusion that anything outside the formal academic usage is fraudulence/egotistical douchebaggery. It would be a shame if that sort of chauvinism caused hard feelings, though.
    In Hawai'i it's common to call the top guy Professor and the other teachers ass't Profs. As in Professor Clarence "Luna" Emperado or Professor Martin Buell - everyone usually just refers to them as The Professor. I've also heard it with Tai Chi students, teacher is often called Master or Professor. Often in class when talking to the prof the name is used, but in any formal reference it's prof, and in class it's prof says do this or that, if prof is not around.
    Last edited by patfromlogan; 4/01/2012 4:58pm at .
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/01/2012 6:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by patfromlogan View Post
    In Hawai'i it's common to call the top guy Professor and the other teachers ass't Profs. As in Professor Clarence "Luna" Emperado or Professor Martin Buell - everyone usually just refers to them as The Professor. I've also heard it with Tai Chi students, teacher is often called Master or Professor. Often in class when talking to the prof the name is used, but in any formal reference it's prof, and in class it's prof says do this or that, if prof is not around.
    Yeah - it's really pretty common as a respectful honorific in a variety of cultures/styles.
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910