Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
  1. #11
    War Wizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    1,152
    Style
    Judo - Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm. My leaving my old "kung fu" school (a term I use very loosely given it's actual history) was actually pretty easy. I got really busy one month wasn't able to attend more than once and I just never went back (had my moment of clarity after being on here and doing a few judo classes at the time as well).

    I did get the stink eye and a cold shoulder from former associates from there when I ran into them out in town and a teacher from one of the other branches actually PM'd me to "have a talk", but after I invited a public discussion on here instead, no more contact. So, eh, whatever, I like what I've done since a whole helluva lot better.
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    85
    Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    In boxing clubs, people get in the ring and throw fists, in judo they throw each other, in football, they throw the pigskin around while trying to knock people senseless. Fun way to meet people, beat each other up, then bullshit after (sometimes, delicious cake is served!)
    What the ****, sometimes delicious cake is served at some clubs? I'm totally quittings my gym... the cake they make me eat there is nasty.

  3. #13
    alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    8,202
    Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    man, if i left my gym to train at a rival gym my coach would come and **** me up. he knows where i live too :/

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    108
    Style
    Japanese Martial Arts
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciderbone View Post
    What the ****, sometimes delicious cake is served at some clubs? I'm totally quittings my gym... the cake they make me eat there is nasty.
    Well let's not forget that gym franchise, Planet Fitness, with their tootsie rolls, and a monthly free Pizza Night and Bagel Mornings.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    108
    Style
    Japanese Martial Arts
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I once watched an instructional video on job searching and the guy had a section regarding the proper way to leave a job – and he had used the word “courage” to leave (much to my chagrin). That once you give notice to your current employer - you must then leave and not accept any counteroffer!

    His take - supposedly back up by “studies” - was anyone who does gives notice - but stays - almost certainly leaves that employer anyway within a year. Because the bone that is thrown (counteroffer) is offset by the change within the relationship dynamics - e.g., not being “loyal” employee and what if I… thoughts etc.

    However some companies, and dojos, have no problem accepting “boomerang employees” or students – so go figure.

  6. #16
    JudOWNED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Judo Heaven
    Posts
    1,498
    Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ultimately, and barring any contractual obligation, how you leave a school/gym you are paying to attend is completely up to you. If you have friends there and like the instrcutor and want to give them a heads up that for whatever reason you won't be training there anymore, that's great. If you hate your school, dislike your instructor and think they treat you horribly, I see absolutely nothing wrong with just never showing up again. This isn't medieval china, and an etiquette for quitting is entirely based on what type of relationships you have there and how you feel you should deal with those relationships.

    But, especially with these McDojo-cult stories, I have never understood why people are so conflicted about "how to quit." Seems pretty simple to me. Just stop going.

  7. #17
    W. Rabbit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,822
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciderbone View Post
    What the ****, sometimes delicious cake is served at some clubs? I'm totally quittings my gym... the cake they make me eat there is nasty.
    There are three requirements for cake:

    1 - The event must be a gong sau

    2 - Kintaron must be fighting.

    3 - Kintaron must bake and bring the cake.

  8. #18
    hapkido_keith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,300
    Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I quit Hapkido I just stopped showing up. I didn't hang out with any of the people there, so it was easy.

  9. #19
    Colin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Tasmania, Australia
    Posts
    3,122
    Style
    MT/BJJ/MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    There are three requirements for cake:

    1 - The event must be a gong sau

    2 - Kintaron must be fighting.

    3 - Kintaron must bake and bring the cake.
    [cc] - counterconsideration

    CC: You are an Aikojoker at an Aikido philosophical retreat/training camp:
    - 2002

  10. #20
    War Wizard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    1,152
    Style
    Judo - Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudOWNED View Post
    Ultimately, and barring any contractual obligation, how you leave a school/gym you are paying to attend is completely up to you. If you have friends there and like the instrcutor and want to give them a heads up that for whatever reason you won't be training there anymore, that's great. If you hate your school, dislike your instructor and think they treat you horribly, I see absolutely nothing wrong with just never showing up again. This isn't medieval china, and an etiquette for quitting is entirely based on what type of relationships you have there and how you feel you should deal with those relationships.

    But, especially with these McDojo-cult stories, I have never understood why people are so conflicted about "how to quit." Seems pretty simple to me. Just stop going.
    On the money. Aside from the little bit of E-posturing, quitting Shaolin Do was an easy decision, one I should have made many years before.

    Edit: On a side note, I've actually received quite a few PMs from SD'ers with the same doubts I had and they ALL ended quitting shortly after our exchanges. Least my 7 years saved some other people time and money...
    Last edited by War Wizard; 4/16/2011 7:23pm at .
    "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO