31 days registered

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 3:35am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kickboxing, BJJ, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Z's MA Academy Huntley, Illinois

Z's Academy is located in the Western suburbs of the Chicagoland area. It is one of several schools in the area that I have taken classes at over the years. It has classes on most days 12-10pm. The classes offered include: Kickboxing, BJJ, Karate(American), Boxing, and MMA. The owner is Rob Zbilski, he is a IKF hall of fame coach, has produced several IKF and PKC champions, produced several Golden Gloves winners, and was a judge at UFC 26. They have several black belts and kickboxing competitors as trainers, and their BJJ head instructor is Cleverson Silva, a black belt. The pricing is fair for the area and is neither the cheapest nor the most expensive school. The school regularly hosts kickboxing tournaments and MMA events.

Aliveness: 9

The school trains alive and spars in almost every class. The sparring is done with boxing gloves, head guards..etc but is done medium to full contact. Even the karate classes have sparring and the BJJ classes have grappling at the end of every class. There is also open mat time on several days in which you can grapple as well as open times dedicated to sparring.

Equipment: 8

Their Huntley location is fairly new and much of the equipment is in good condition. They have mats, a boxing ring, punching bags, and obviously mits, gloves etc.. They also have a small exercise room in the back with several different types of cardio machines.

Gym Size: 8

I don't know the square footage but the gym is fairly large and is broken into several sections. When you first step in there is a waiting room type area with couches, tv's, and windows so you can see the various classes. One room contains the boxing ring and bags, the other room is where the BJJ mats are, and the last room contains more mats and exercise equipment towards the back.

Instructor/Student Ratio: 8

Altough there seems to be a fair amount of members, none of the classes ever seemed too large. In the BJJ class there was 1 instructor for 4 of us. In the kickboxing class there was 1 instructor for around 8 people. I did not attend the earlier classes so I'm not sure if there is more people in those classes.

Atmosphere/Attitude: 9

In the classes I attended, everyone seemed very friendly and helpful and no one seemed to be overly ego centric or stuck up. The instructors were patient and polite, the only thing I did notice was that one instructor arrived 15 minutes late for a class.

Striking Instruction: 9

Striking seems to be the main focus of this school. They have alot of people who compete in regional and national kickboxing tournaments. They have several IKF champions (both male and female) and as I mentioned earlier the owner is a IKF hall of fame coach. There are also several golden glove winners in the school. Sparring is done every day and the classes are practical and mix every aspect of the striking game - punching, kicking, clinching, elbows knees, etc..

Grappling Instruction: 8
    The BJJ class has 2 instructors, 1 is a black belt (Cleverson Silva) and the other is a purple belt. The classes usually start with warming up, then learning a few moves, practicing them, and then rolling/grappling until the time is over. Sometimes there is additional time for open mat/grappling. The only reason I did not give it a 9 is because I'm not sure how they have done in grappling competitions.

Weapons: N/A

I'm not aware of any weapons training done at the school.

Summary:

All in all this is an excellent school if you are looking to train "alive" martial arts ,especially if you live in the West suburbs. What makes this school stand out is its large variety of classes, its excellent striking instruction, and its affordable rates. The school does have children specific classes as well as adult specific classes.

Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 12:13pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well now, that's a well formatted school review. I'm glad you read the school review guidelines found in the sticky thread section of every sub-forum.

Z's Martial Arts Academy
    11320 Kiley Drive
    Huntley, IL 60142-7199, United States
    (847) 669-7833

http://www.teamzs.com/

I like how the kids karate picture has the kids with their hands up. The fighter page is nice too.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Yours truly

Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupRecommendation Second Class1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 1:26pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    these schools run by old-skool champs are usually top knotch!

Achievements:
    31 days registered

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 2:38pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kickboxing, BJJ, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTE=PizDoff;2535343]Well now, that's a well formatted school review. I'm glad you read the school review guidelines found in the sticky thread section of every sub-forum.

Thank you. That was actually my first post here on this site . I will be writing a few other reviews as well.