Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 7:45am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeh, this stuff:

Its mainly only a problem for people who buy Addidas and Matsuru, because they're the only major UK gi companies that have them. They have a thing about manufacturer logo size as well, but they tend not to enforce that.

Its because traditionally in Judo your uniform is supposed to be plain and simple and not 'flashy' so that you don't draw attention to yourself or any sign of superiority to others. The BJC think tradition is very important. I personal think white Judo gi without shoulder flashes looks better, but I'm not going to give anyone a hard time for having them or a blue gi.

Mixing blue and white gi and trouser jackets and wearing of any colour gi apart from white or blue I won't allow on my mat unless there are exceptional cirucmstances.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 8:07am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    as you can guess, it's a touchy subject. my dojo is fairly traditional, and the only people who wear blue gis are active competitors who are usually brown belts and up. i won't get a blue gi unless i am going to compete in a shiai that requires one.

one day a kid asked one of the senior guys if he could wear a blue gi, and the answer he got was interesting, paraphrased it was "yes, you can wear one, but in general when i see someone in a blue gi, i assume that they are a serious competitor and play harder against them"

the one thing that surprises me is that in my dojo, people do sometimes wear mixed blue/white gi and not get a hard time from sensei.

i think the big picture is that each dojo has their own approach, but you can't go wrong with erring on the side of being too traditional, so a white gi is best.

maybe i should get a blue gi for when i visit the kodokan, and then post hilarious video of me being beaten senseless. or... maybe not.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 8:44am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you decide to buy a colored gi, soak it in a bucket filled with 2 cups of vinegar and the rest of it with water. Soak it for at least 4 hours. Personally, I always let it sit for 24 hours. Afterward, wash the gi by itself once or twice. Then you won't have to worry about the color fading onto your other clothes.

Personal anecdote: Up until about a year ago, I typically wore mix and match blue and white pants and kimono. These days, I don't do that, and while there are plenty of students with red, black or green gi, I will probably never wear anything besides white or blue from here on out. I would feel like I was showing off if I wore a non-traditional color (a blue gi is traditional in my book).

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 10:06am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The best gi for the money now is a Dan Rho. Kwon now sells them instead of their brand. Mine is 3 years old now and can still stop a knife attack. I have a Fuji BJJ gi because BJJ Revolution Team used them for a team gi and I hate it.

As far as the blue gi thing goes it was all about TV. The IJF wanted to make it better for people to watch Judo on TV. Many clubs don't mind if you wear one while some are dead set against them. I know you can't even walk through the doors of the Kodokan with one. As far as tradition it is not traditional. White, white and white is the traditional color.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 10:52am

Join us... or die
     Style: comparison shopping

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post

Its because traditionally in Judo your uniform is supposed to be plain and simple and not 'flashy' so that you don't draw attention to yourself or any sign of superiority to others. The BJC think tradition is very important.
    And different belt colours don't?

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 10:55am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    Lol, you know what I mean.

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 10:57am

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    That's rank, not a personal statement. Japanese like (crave, really) hierarchy.

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 11:07am

Join us... or die
     Style: comparison shopping

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Lol, you know what I mean.
    Not really. But I think I understand since Res explained

PS
    OP DO NOT ATTEMPT this thread on judo forum. It will lead to pages and pages of butthurt.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 11:17am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata View Post
    That's rank, not a personal statement. Japanese like (crave, really) hierarchy.
    of course it's funny that you say this (it is true in general) when for the most part the only belts worn in japanese judo are white, black, red & white, and red.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 11:19am

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    of course it's funny that you say this (it is true in general) when for the most part the only belts worn in japanese judo are white, black, red & white, and red.
    True enough. But they all know exactly where they stand.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast