Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 3:05am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The Blue Judogi

I go to about 3.5 practices a week but only have 2 gis; I'm thinking that it's time to pick myself up a new gi. I don't want another shitty gi (GTMA) or an expensive one (Fushida; I love it, but with the American dollar sucking as much cock as it is right now...), I'm probably going to get me a Fuji double.

I've been wondering, though. Should it be blue? I hope to one day compete as a black belt, so I'll need one eventually, but I hear that it's incredibly hard to take care of them without turning everything I own blue. As a yonkyu, do you think I should make the investment? What have you used to keep the color from washing out?

Also, why did the IJF choose blue and not red?

And, yes for the Fuji?

And, Merriam-Webster considers judo a common noun, though, the more I think about it, the less sense that makes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 3:27am

Style: ukemi & tapping out

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Blue gis are classy. Red ones aren't. We're not communists after all.

As for actually buying one, it's not like you have any reason not to, other than the hassle of washing it separately. If you have the disposable income, really want one, and plan to use it then go ahead.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 3:49am

Style: MMA / MT / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a blue Judo Gi (NONAME Brand) After the first wash the coulour doesn't run anymore, and now I wash it with my white GI no problem.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 4:02am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know about you but my washing machine can't take two double weave gis at once. I gave it about two or three washes on its own, and then just mixed it in with dark(ish) coloured clothes with no problems.

Also, it's only at certain high level competitions where where wearing a blue suit is mandatory.

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 4:18am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want to buy a blue gi then do so.

You wont need it to compete as a dan grade, I don't own one and compete.

Whenever I put my gi in the washing machine there isn't room for anything else in there, so I don't know how you could fit any other clothes in their to spoil.

As for the colour washing out, don't buy a dirt cheap one, buy a decent make it and the colour won't wash out.

Why blue over red? I don't know, e-mail the IJF and ask.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 5:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I bought a Blue Gi when I had only been doing Judo a few months as a reward to myself for passing my 6th kyu test. I then realised that being the only person in my club with a blue gi wasn’t such a good idea and haven’t worn it since. However if I was at a bigger club where more people wore them then I would wear it again.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 6:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fuji doubles are nice but they are super stiff. At least mine is. As far as buying a blue gi I'm a little more traditionalist in this regard. I do not own a blue gi and never will unless I enter a competition that requires it like the Pan Ams or World Masters.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 6:35am

Style: Judo Crash Test Dummy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got a blue gi - purely coz they look the part - and since realised that a lot of clubs don't like them. It's not a big deal, but if you visit a lot of clubs as a guest it's something to be aware of.
    Don't know if it's an official stance, but I've noticed that BJC (one of the main UK judo governing bodies) afficiated clubs in particular seem to take a dim view of the blue gi.

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 6:40am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is an official stance. You're not allowed to participate in BJC events and competitions in a blue gi or one with shoulder flashes although they usually allow you to cover the shoulder flashes with tape.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 7:35am

Style: Judo Crash Test Dummy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    It is an official stance. You're not allowed to participate in BJC events and competitions in a blue gi or one with shoulder flashes although they usually allow you to cover the shoulder flashes with tape.
    Really? By shoulder flashes you mean the adidas type affair?
    Interesting. That all seems a little stuffy to me, but then again better that than (*whispers*) we all start wandering around with everything from our club to our 25m swimming badge stitched on our multi-coloured gis.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast