Posted On:
    4/15/2011 6:45pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    And then he'll keep making it better.
    And then instead of a quick nuclear annihilation, humanity will be punched to death by our robot overlords.

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 8:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just think it's the beginning of I-robot.

heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 8:17pm

supporting member
     Style: 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    And then instead of a quick nuclear annihilation, humanity will be punched to death by our robot overlords.
    Or, we'll turn into House Atreides-style masters of physical combat, tuned to perfection by training H2H with robots AND people.

Crouching Philosopher, Hidden Philosopher

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 8:44pm

supporting member
     Style: n/a (ex-Karate)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What the hell is wrong with you people?

HE'S MAKING A MARTIAL ARTS ROBOT. MARTIAL ARTS. ROBOT.

BI-WIN.

That's very cool, and I applaud his work. Sure, it's impractical as a training aid at this point. But it's a start, and I'm curious to see it develop (if it does).
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

I have emotions.

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 9:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very good. But robot not hit back... wait

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 9:06pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here are my suggestions:

As mentioned earlier have it stand in a standard south paw or conventional boxing stance.

Make a chip that randomizes the punching within standard boxing/muay thai combos(jab, hook, uppercut, elbow, etc).

Make it on a wheeled base so it can circle away from peoples power hand. Have the head be able to move away from you. Have it cover up more instead of rythmic haymakers. Have lights on the head/jaw/chest for targeting but make them in the correct places(see Sugar Ray Leonard SlamMan fail).

Oh and make sure after each training session that you are brutally knife attacked by Patrick Stewart. :ChallengeAccepted:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 9:54pm

Style: Kickboxin & Shootfightin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Two things before I shut up.

1 - Prototype means this is a very early proof of concept design. Go Google "early helicopter designs" and you might notice most of them, including Leonardo Da Vinci's version, never flew.

2 - This type of thing would not be for someone who actually has a partner available to them. That was the idea behind the sex robot joke...you don't need sex robots if you have a human partner, likewise, you don't need a sparring robot if you are standing in a boxing gym.

But if you were home and it was 2018..you might decide to duck away from the wife and kids to get a beat down from the Sparbot 3000 in your home gym, which is fully mobile, can target areas of your body, and can be made progressively resistive.

Yes, this is blue sky, forward thinking. Yes, that's how engineers build neat new things.

Like sex robots.
    EDIT:DAMN, all my points were brought up in preceding post,sigh, reading phail.

G'dday. I like the IDEA of a Sparring Robot, in fact i think it would fuckin awesome, especially if you could get one with an eye patch or something yanno?? My problem was with this particular design. I understand its an early prototype but i see flaws with its basic design.

Its stance... it doesn't have one. Its punches are too predictiable, i.e there didn't seem to be any randomisation, which should be very easy to code.The fact it was fixed to one point, i.e not mobile and thus requiring footwork. There may be a plan to make it wheeled or mobile in some fashion but nothin in the video gave that indication.

The future may bring a sparring robot, but this is more than likely not going to be the base design. You mention its not for experienced ppl,but a beginner won't know the diff between a good technique and a bad one. I think this is an example of no training is better than a little. You'd be better off to just make a friend and get them holdin focus mitts.

Also, the Sex robots?? i'm not sure if all the pneumatic/hydraulic/mechanical sounds wouyld get me in the mood cuz it was freakin loud. (I think Living Dolls might be ahead of you in that market though lol)
    Last edited by KiwiPhil889; 4/15/2011 9:56pm at . Reason: cuz i wasted my time

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/16/2011 12:29am

Style: Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seems pretty cool! Out of my price range, though. When not using it for training, I'd set it by doors people are about to walk through.

heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    4/16/2011 10:42am

supporting member
     Style: 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiPhil889 View Post
    The future may bring a sparring robot, but this is more than likely not going to be the base design. You mention its not for experienced ppl,but a beginner won't know the diff between a good technique and a bad one. I think this is an example of no training is better than a little. You'd be better off to just make a friend and get them holdin focus mitts.
    I am actually suggesting the sparbot (in its later designs, NOT this one) would be most appropriate for experienced strikers, assuming the difficulty and realism is improved over the years. A sparring robot would essentially combine elements of the speed bag, boxing ball, sparring partner into a single, mobile, adapative self-training tool.

I definitely am not suggesting using a sparring robot for beginner boxers any more than I'd suggest using DVDs as a beginner. The experienced boxers in this thread have pointed out all the reasons why.

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiPhil889 View Post
    Also, the Sex robots?? i'm not sure if all the pneumatic/hydraulic/mechanical sounds wouyld get me in the mood cuz it was freakin loud. (I think Living Dolls might be ahead of you in that market though lol)
    There is a lot of work being done in this area, combining the Real Doll-types with motor control, heat, voice, etc. Noise cancellation will be included in the later designs..fear not.

Lifelike sex robots will be available within the next 10 years.

Posted On:
    4/16/2011 7:39pm

Style: Judo - Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's all fun and games until they kill someone and they have to be hunted down...

"Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 5678 LastLast