insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 12:16pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post
    That prototype would make a better sexbot than it does a sparring tool.
    I hope future models do both. You can fight them, and then party.

Imagine how many BJJers would love to have their own "Johnny BJJ" doll.

Robotic throwdown orgies are the future...I can see it now...

Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 4:09pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiPhil889 View Post
    I don't really see what this has to offer over and above a standard double ended type speed ball. If you have time and money for a giant rock em sock em robot,then a speed ball and a gym would be a better option i would have thought. Additionally the speed ball is nowhere near as predictable movement/striking wise and requires footwork. However, i can see the gimmick crowd taking it up because that "old style" training isn't scientific enough.

I have nothing against new training aids and methods but if they are no better than existing options then why bother??
    I agree. I also don't even like it for slipping and counterpunching drills because you can see from the video that it just is nothing like a fellow boxer training partner wearing focus mitts or lite sparring with gloves.

First off, the stance of the machine is straight on and it simply doesn't throw a proper jab at you at all. It looks it just chain punches haymakers at you which I would think is actually counterproductive. As you point out, the speed ball alone is better than this bot. And I think that focus mitts and even working the heavy bag are superior to "sparring" with that bot.

The bottom line is I feel with the way that 'bot is designed it would actually train a boxer in bad and unrealistic slipping/ducking/parrying and counterpunching. You simply need another human being as a training partner to train defense and counterpunching. And don't even get me started on footwork! The bot is just standing still and will ingrain statuesque fighting, for example you need a live partner to figure out how to slip a cross while stepping forward and to the side to counter with a hook to the body as one example of many.

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 4:31pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Two things before I shut up.

1 - Prototype means this is a very early proof of concept design. Go Google "early helicopter designs" and you might notice most of them, including Leonardo Da Vinci's version, never flew.

2 - This type of thing would not be for someone who actually has a partner available to them. That was the idea behind the sex robot joke...you don't need sex robots if you have a human partner, likewise, you don't need a sparring robot if you are standing in a boxing gym.

But if you were home and it was 2018..you might decide to duck away from the wife and kids to get a beat down from the Sparbot 3000 in your home gym, which is fully mobile, can target areas of your body, and can be made progressively resistive.

Yes, this is blue sky, forward thinking. Yes, that's how engineers build neat new things.

Like sex robots.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 4:38pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Two things before I shut up.

1 - Prototype means this is a very early proof of concept design. Go Google "early helicopter designs" and you might notice most of them, including Leonardo Da Vinci's version, never flew.
    And I'll bet everyone was like "dude, your flying machine can't fly. Fail." And they would be right.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 4:40pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah like in "Star Wars" there's that floating ball droid thingy that shoots laser beams at Luke that he's all parrying with his light saber. I just need me one of those to work on my counterpunching.

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 5:01pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I personally like the idea (like I posted in my old thread) of a site like Bullshido.net being used to critique these designs. Only by showing what you are working on to those who practice striking/grappling arts could you ever come up with a working, practical design....but it takes years of reworking combined with solid feedback to do that. Still, it's how most useful things are ever built...by making a lot of failed versions first. Igor Sikorsky had a lot of failed helicopter designs to work from before he invented the modern helicopter.

I would not want it any other way...the number of engineers who also fight as a hobby is very very small, so the kind of feedback a site like BS can give to these guys is critical.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 5:03pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Deliverator View Post
    Yeah like in "Star Wars" there's that floating ball droid thingy that shoots laser beams at Luke that he's all parrying with his light saber. I just need me one of those to work on my counterpunching.
    The prototype is just a paintball gun attached to a remote control helicopter, but think about the future!

I would not want it any other way...the number of engineers who also fight as a hobby is very very small, so the kind of feedback a site like BS can give to these guys is critical.
    Either way, they're gonna ask for a sex robot.

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 5:31pm

Style: Kettles (MA hiatus).

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Deliverator View Post
    Or like in Dune where Paul Atreidies has to fight that upsideown brass penis that attacks him with scissors and darts, only to find himself woefully unequipped to have a knife fight with a ginger Sting at the end and has to cheat by using magic words.

Or in reality a shotgun.

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 5:48pm

Style: Kettles (MA hiatus).

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I personally like the idea (like I posted in my old thread) of a site like Bullshido.net being used to critique these designs. Only by showing what you are working on to those who practice striking/grappling arts could you ever come up with a working, practical design....but it takes years of reworking combined with solid feedback to do that. Still, it's how most useful things are ever built...by making a lot of failed versions first. Igor Sikorsky had a lot of failed helicopter designs to work from before he invented the modern helicopter.

I think we've been over this but you're going about it the wrong way. Aiming at the target audience at such an early techincal level is pointless, it's like bringing a new formula for tyre rubber to a race car driver. It may benefit them in the future but that stage is way off, you'd be better off discussing it with other engineers first and refining it.

Anyway, this boxing bot will probably make loads of money in chain gyms and cardio-kickboxing classes but it'll do nothing for 'fight science' in the slightest.

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 6:40pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kovacs View Post
    Anyway, this boxing bot will probably make loads of money in chain gyms and cardio-kickboxing classes but it'll do nothing for 'fight science' in the slightest.
    So you're saying you don't want to help? Why don't you engage in the internetz and tell the guy what you think. He's put himself out there for your critique. There are few he could get as good as Bullshido's. And "give up" is stupid.

Help him make the best bot. That's my point.

And then he'll keep making it better.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast