Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2015 9:19pm

Style: mt/bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Some days I'm fast and some days I'm slow?

Hey I train about 3x a day and eat a lot of food. Lately I've been getting a lot of sleep too!

also, I noticed that some days I'll b quick and strong and some days itll be jet lag (Always giving it my all though!)

Why is this?

Also off topic: For a heavyweight I'm extremely fast. Lately I've been lifting weighs (mostly endurance) and I'm afraid of losing speed (Yesterday I did deadlift x30/rex ab work x 50, sled pushing, tire sprints x 12, and Bulgaria bag stuff all for 4 rounds. Will this kind of stuff slow down my striking speed or am I just sore?)

I do feel way more endurance thanks to the functional lifting. Afraid of losing my speed though. XD

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2015 5:25am

Style: Boxing and Moo Duk Kwan

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your lifting weights 3 times a day on top of martial arts, or 3 training sessions a day? If the former, then you are going to find yourself overtrained and losing progress. Even the later would be overtraining unless you are in competitive shape.

I once broke a $200 golf driver after a heavy lifting session. My swing got that bad. I find doing other sports after lifting effects my coordination and speed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2015 5:56am

Style: No Primary Style

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you tried training with wrist/body/ankle weights on? Take off the weights and you will feel like your speed has increased. The sudden increased speed could just be illusion though.

But if you could get as fast as you are now with the weights, when the weights are off, I doubt the speed felt is illusion.

To build more power with your speed, try tensing your whole body while training, so you're pouring sweat. then loosen up after a while and again, maybe its illusion but you will feel more power with your speed.

But I agree with blue-dragon. Dont burn yourself out by over training

Posted On:
    6/12/2015 7:06am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ blue, judo ikkyu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by big maclol View Post
    Hey I train about 3x a day and eat a lot of food. Lately I've been getting a lot of sleep too!

also, I noticed that some days I'll b quick and strong and some days itll be jet lag (Always giving it my all though!)

Why is this?

Also off topic: For a heavyweight I'm extremely fast. Lately I've been lifting weighs (mostly endurance) and I'm afraid of losing speed (Yesterday I did deadlift x30/rex ab work x 50, sled pushing, tire sprints x 12, and Bulgaria bag stuff all for 4 rounds. Will this kind of stuff slow down my striking speed or am I just sore?)

I do feel way more endurance thanks to the functional lifting. Afraid of losing my speed though. XD
    a. you're probably beating yourself up with 3x/day workouts and the jet lag is when this catches up with you

b. why in the name of all that is holy would you do a 30-rep set of deadlifts if your goal is speed?

c. why are you lifting weights for endurance if your goal is speed?

d. yes, training haphazardly will slow you down in addition to making you sore and not making you better.

listen now. listen to this.

do I have your attention?

Training is for developing skills and attributes. Training is not for demonstrating strength or toughness. (Save that for competition.) If each strength and conditioning session does not have a specific, measurable plan that fits into a long-term training program, you are just making yourself tired to no productive purpose.

if you'd like to read more about the misguidedness of this kind of haphazard anti-training, look up some anti-crossfit screeds that go into the inanity of working out merely for the sake of exercising, like http://therxreview.com/crossfit-the-...metcon-addict/ or http://www.catalystathletics.com/art...-metCon-Habit/ or http://robbwolf.com/2011/11/09/the-c...-short-metcon/

a real S&C program for martial arts is fairly basic and doesn't involve beating yourself into the ground with day-after-day round-after-round of sled drags. it involves careful progression with power and Olympic lifts, a little cardio, and training in your martial art.

or maybe i've completely misjudged what you're doing and you're on a quite reasonable program, in which case a. sorry and b. why didn't you say that
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2015 12:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blue-dragon View Post
    Your lifting weights 3 times a day on top of martial arts, or 3 training sessions a day? .
    conditioning 4-5 times a week (mon-Friday) in the early morning. Nice brake and at noon or so I'll do boxing or jiu jitsu then at evening I'll do MMA/wrestling.

Most of the conditioning each day is different and can range from burpees, pull ups, Bulgarian bag, deadlifts, squats, kettlebell swings, footwork drills, tire drag sprints, running, jumping jacks, etc.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    6/12/2015 12:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Why is this?

You need time to recover from working out. Over-training is bad.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2015 12:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1point2 View Post
    b. why in the name of all that is holy would you do a 30-rep set of deadlifts if your goal is speed?

c. why are you lifting weights for endurance if your goal is speed?

a real S&C program for martial arts is fairly basic and doesn't involve beating yourself into the ground with day-after-day round-after-round of sled drags. it involves careful progression with power and Olympic lifts, a little cardio, and training in your martial art.

or maybe i've completely misjudged what you're doing and you're on a quite reasonable program, in which case a. sorry and b. why didn't you say that
    Thanks for the post!

I want to increase strength and endurance but I just don't want to lose speed.

Posted On:
    6/12/2015 12:14pm

Join us... or die

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    conditioning 4-5 times a week (mon-Friday) in the early morning. Nice brake and at noon or so I'll do boxing or jiu jitsu then at evening I'll do MMA/wrestling.

Most of the conditioning each day is different and can range from burpees, pull ups, Bulgarian bag, deadlifts, squats, kettlebell swings, footwork drills, tire drag sprints, running, jumping jacks, etc.
    Do you ever take a day off ?

Posted On:
    6/12/2015 4:04pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are overtraining.

It's easy to start, you just need to love training and make the time (too much).

It's easy to spot too, you get stuck in a cycle of good and bad days. It's also probably why you're sleeping more (you're tired more regularly because your metabolism is impacted by overtraining).

When you find your sweet spot, that cycle should go away. The right amount of downtime and healing is as important as your "stressors".

As you get older it becomes more and more important to maintain the right balance. And it's very personal, everyone has their own balance.

Keep a notebook and keep track of how you feel day to day, a training diary is very useful for noticing trends and identifying personal patterns (useful or bad).
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 6/12/2015 4:10pm at .

Posted On:
    6/12/2015 4:57pm

Join us... or die

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the post!

I want to increase strength and endurance but I just don't want to lose speed.
    Do you have a full time coach who is guiding your training, or are you basically self-taught/directed ? You need some sort of experienced,maybe even professional guidance. Especially if you are trying to do MMA up to professional level.

What exactly are your training goals ? Where do you want to end up, martial arts-wise ? That should guide your training process.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast