Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/07/2015 6:28am

supporting member
     Style: yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

pimp my workout

My goal in regards to weight training is strength/power for boxing. My cardio will come from boxing classes/sparring and sprints (2-3 days per week, lifting will be 1-2 days per week). Between the fact that I'm still working through this lower back BS and I have limited time/money to travel to the gym, I'd like to KISS, for now. That out of the way, here's the routine I've put together:

Squats 3x5
    Pullups 3x5
    Bench 3x5
    Wrist Curls 2x25
    V-ups, knee to chest superset 2x25
    Shoulder shrugs 2x25

With an exercise like pullups, I imagine everyone training a contact sport can pull of at least 15 reps at bodyweight; I will be adding weights to this exercise with plates. Bring on the knowledge!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Posted On:
    2/07/2015 10:35am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just get a copy of Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 and do that.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/07/2015 10:56am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Just get a copy of Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 and do that.
    Between the facts that 5/3/1 isn't a sport-specific/oriented (BB/PL aside), I don't believe this is what I'm looking for. I'm trying to hit the nooks and crannys I can with the time available. Also, just from reading over the website it seemed like more math than I care to do for my current goals and wishes.

FTR, I plan to add weight like one would with a 3/5x5.

Edit: And you may be completely right, ghost, I'd just rather hear it from someone with more experience in pure striking, preferably boxing.
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Posted On:
    2/07/2015 11:10am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's understandable. The initial math takes under 20min. You can do your entire workout including assistance work in about 45min. It's just a solid system for getting stronger.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2015 12:21pm

Style: Tang Soo Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    Between the facts that 5/3/1 isn't a sport-specific/oriented (BB/PL aside), I don't believe this is what I'm looking for. I'm trying to hit the nooks and crannys I can with the time available. Also, just from reading over the website it seemed like more math than I care to do for my current goals and wishes.

FTR, I plan to add weight like one would with a 3/5x5.

Edit: And you may be completely right, ghost, I'd just rather hear it from someone with more experience in pure striking, preferably boxing.
    By and large, what you've got planned right now would fit well with 5/3/1. That is, just do your bench and squat days organized according to the program. No worries on the math either. Just go to strstd.com. It makes it super easy, and you can even track your progress there.

What you're doing for cardio sounds good, but I would recommend a workout called Fight Gone Bad. It's a CrossFit workout, but it's good, and was specifically designed for a fighter (BJ Penn, who was a champ before he was a criminal.)

For what it's worth, 5/3/1 on bench and squat and Fight Gone Bad was pretty much my workout plan last year, and I have seen good gains. I do a fair bit of bagwork as well, and recently added in push jerks. Natch, I am almost entirely a striker.

P.s. Though there are six sets of the main lifts and a fair bit of the assistance lifts, I'll second that it doesn't take that long. Fight Gone Bad is seventeen minutes long, and it burns.

Sent from my LG-LS855 using Bullshido - No BS MMA mobile app
    Last edited by RealFolkBlues; 2/08/2015 12:26pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2015 3:21pm

Style: Goju Ryu/Balintawak Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you know how to clean or snatch?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2015 4:01pm

Style: Tang Soo Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by soft touch View Post
    Oh man. I'm trying hard to keep it mature, here. This was directed at itwasntme, right?

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/08/2015 4:12pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by soft touch View Post
    Neither, unfortunately. I'm probably still considered a gym noob.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2015 11:30pm

Style: Goju Ryu/Balintawak Arnis

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RealFolkBlues View Post
    Oh man. I'm trying hard to keep it mature, here. This was directed at itwasntme, right?

cmon man, I didn't even mention if he could jerk
    all good, just useful for me to know (power cleans or snatches if you can do them are fucking beasts for anything where you want explosivity) if it helps, I can't do them again yet since I had a lower back injury... soon though.. soon

my personal opinion is, that's fine man; add in deads if your cns can handle the extra strain, and any bodyweight plyo type stuff will help you
    those are just my preferred exercises for this type of thing though (deads are jesus.)

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    2/09/2015 12:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The "normal" recommendation is for you to work on general fitness then when you have established a base, move towards more sports specific training. You hinted at some sort of back problem/injury, have you completed PT for that and gotten cleared by your MD to move on ?

It's a typical mistake to move right into sports specific conditioning. To me, the workout routine you posted is a recipe for overtraining. Depending on your current physical condition, just the amount of boxing and associated training at boxing practice might be more than enough.

Hence, I believe, why Goodlun posted that general strength-style weight lifting program. Building strength in a general way is not a volume type workout, and (maybe) won't get in the way of your boxing and/or vice-versa.
    Falling for Judo since 1980
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast