Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Style
    Goju Ryu, Judo, Silat
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Benefits of massage?

Oh so as someone whose got god awful flexibility and retains tension like a sponge, I've recently been having problems throwing punches and kicks, been generally slower across all my movements and sore a lot. I went for a massage today just to chill out for once (combination of anxiety issues and a sitting job that doesn't help) and I had more than 40 muscle knots in my back and neck in total. Since getting out I feel a lot better and I was wondering if anyone incorporates this into their routine?

Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Massage has peripherally been a part of my martial arts training across a few disciplines, which makes sense because a study of basic healing is useful for the fighting arts student. My first exposure was probably the use of dit da jow in conjunction with massage after conditioning the hands, forearms etc in kung fu (or on a bruise from sparring). The massage not only works the medicine into the skin but also circulates the fluids underneath the skin to discourage a stagnant bruise.

When I got into arnis, one of the old guys I trained with was a hilot practitioner, the native medicine method of the Philippines. Hilot is heavy on massage and joint manipulation, and it has a bit of a reputation for being painful so many people would rather tell the hilot man that they're fine than have him work on them. I remember at a stickfighting tournament, one of my forearms was heavily bruised from rattan sticks and was barely working, and he did some hilot on it between matches. I was able to use my arm a lot better afterwards.

During a brief stint in systema (lol), we did some Russian massage, where one person lays on their back and the other slowly walks around on top of them with the aid of a walking stick touching the ground. The pressure makes you want to tense up, but you must tell yourself not to, which is the basic systema approach to all challenges. I remember actually feeling surprisingly good after one of those sessions.

Several years ago, I was introduced to the car buffer as a massage tool at a festival in the desert. I got one last year and my girlfriend and I use it regularly. She swims in the morning and the buffer helps keep the muscles in good shape. We've had good results using it for injury rehab too. I recently fucked up my back falling off a skateboard and it really helped to get the spasm-y feeling out of my lumbar nerves.

Of course, manual massage using the hands etc, especially when done by someone who knows what they're doing, can allow for more precise and focused massage. But these days, my primary massage methods are the car buffer, dit da jow (homemade) on bruises, and topical CBD cream (homemade) for acute pain relief.

I don't know how common massage is among the bullies here but it certainly sounds like its beneficial for you in particular.

Style
    Jujitsu Aikido Bodycombat
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I get a sports massage every few weeks and it seems to help prevent injury. Hurts at the time though, but it's a satisfying pain. A lot of people swear by the foam roller and a sports massage provides a similar benefit (pain?) except they can focus on the muscles that need it the most and spot trouble areas.

Style
    Goju Ryu, Judo, Silat
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dork Angel View Post
    I get a sports massage every few weeks and it seems to help prevent injury. Hurts at the time though, but it's a satisfying pain. A lot of people swear by the foam roller and a sports massage provides a similar benefit (pain?) except they can focus on the muscles that need it the most and spot trouble areas.

I find personally as a foam roller user that it doesnt nearly get deep enough into the tissue compared to the (attractive) lady's elbows at the place up the road from me

Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kimjonghng View Post
    I find personally as a foam roller user that it doesnt nearly get deep enough into the tissue compared to the (attractive) lady's elbows at the place up the road from me
    You should try a softball as a roller.

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most of the purported benefits surrounding manual therapies are bullshit.
    I still get some form of bodywork around 2x/month.
    Good article here on rolling that also pertains to massage etc: http://www.bettermovement.org/blog/2...m-rolling-work

Style
    Fire Mop
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would if money wasn't an issue. I believe routine massage is essential for maximal benefit and performance in any sport. But, I can't afford a weekly massage. Hot baths and roller stuff help, but not the same.
    My opinion based on experience.

There are a lot of different modalities. Some places sell deep tissue as sports massage. It's not the same. Also it requires so much sensitivity on the part of the masseur that youre lucky if you find a practictioner that can tell what's up with your body.

My best experience was with a Croatian guy who used to work with sports teams teams. He educated me alot on what to look for in massage.
    Last edited by Broomie; 3/23/2016 5:22pm at . Reason: More to say

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    double post

Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Broomie View Post
    I would if money wasn't an issue. I believe routine massage is essential for maximal benefit and performance in any sport. But, I can't afford a weekly massage. Hot baths and roller stuff help, but not the same.
    My opinion based on experience.
    In my experience, massage therapists are often open to trades if you have any skills.

Style
    Fire Mop
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    In my experience, massage therapists are often open to trades if you have any skills.
    I don't want to get arressted.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last