Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Please tell me how you manage sweat

Hey folks. My thread is pretty simple. I sweat. A lot. Way more than I did years ago. I'm just starting out again after a long time of inactivity, so maybe I'm just really out of shape, but I'm pouring sweat every time I train.

We had a visiting sensei yesterday who spent two hours dodging my head sweat and at one point made the comment "It's raining down here". We're all pretty sweaty during class and the gi soaks up the body sweat, but I don't know how to manage the head and face sweat.

I thought I may be under-hydrated, causing me to overheat, so yesterday I drank at least a glass of water every hour before class and frequently hydrated during.

Please halp.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    Style
    Kodokan Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sweating is good...as you get in better shape you will probably not sweat so much, although, like I wrote, sweating is good. Stay well hydrated. If you sweat "too much" all the time, might want to check with an MD.

Maybe a headband, but that probably won't stay on very long.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You could try a lighter gi if allowed.
    That makes a huge difference in my experience.
    Being underhydrated usually means you stop sweating, but don't try to do that obviously.
    Appropriate username.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the replies.

I am using a single weave Fuji Judo gi now which does seem really hot. I don't know what lighter options are out there for Judo, but I'll have a look.

I'm also planning on running it past my doctor since I need to see her anyways.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're sweating because you have a nice healthy metabolism.

Active cooling and a cool damp rag nearby at all times helps with sweat. Wick away and replace the sweat with cooler water. Wrists, neck, face are my favorite spots. Sweat feels gross, cool water feels like an Irish spring.

The rag serves a double purpose at the end of mat time...clean up your greasy stank, and show your instructors some class.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 8/15/2015 1:25am at .

Style
    FMA, Ego Warrior
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I too sweat a lot. The fact that temps are regularly over 100 here doesn't help either. I'll sweat bad enough that it steadily drips into in my eyes and it is not a pleasant sensation.
    I've tried the head band aproach ala Danny Laruso and it definitely helps a lot but it's not 100%.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lighter Gis help. But if you haven't worked out in a while that's probably why. You sweat to cool the body down so when your body isn't used to working out (which heats up your body a lot). You will sweat less after your body gets used to your work out.

Style
    Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks to everyone for the input. I'll consider going Karate Kid (headband) on them next class.

Style
    Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Perhaps a bit counter intuitively, you might try a rashguard under your gi, if once again allowed in your particular circumstances.
    I find the wicking very helpful.

Style
    Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi - thanks, I did order a rashguard and hope it'll be here before the next practice. I also wear undershirts during the summer for the same reason.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last