Hoping for some advice.

Here is the deal. I am 44. I trained in TKD from the time I was 12-20. And in Kung fu from 20-25. Then ... I stopped training nearly 19 years ago.

I could give tons of excuses...got married, had 7 kids, not financially possible at times...but lets face it, if I really WANTED it, I would have found a way.

Over that 19 years, I gained 124 lbs. It kind of sneaks up on you, just a few pounds a year....still, I can't blame the desk job, and the corporate lunches (there was also corporate gyms) This is all on me.

So here I am, 44 years old, 305 lbs (5' 8") to put that in perspective. I have a bulging disk in my lower back, which causes a constant pain in my upper thigh. My doctor says, lose 50 lbs, and it will go away.

I have a mild case of carpal tunnel in my right hand from years of hand writing. Mild arthritis in both hands. Again, my doc says, lose weight, and it will get better.
last week I jumped on my Motorcycle to go for a ride, and as I was passing a Martial Arts school that I have heard a lot about over the years. He teaches JKD, MMA, and Kali. It was open, and I stopped in to watch some of the Kali class.

Long story short, I came to the conclusion, Now or never! And signed up for a 30 day trial. I have done 3 classes so far and love it.

Kali seems to be a good starting point, as it is not taking a huge impact on my joints. I even seem to have some muscle memory left from "Back in the day".

My new instructor gave me the best compliment I have had in years..."You don't move like a fat person"

Here is the problem that I am hoping someone might be able to help with.

My hands, with the arthritis, and the carpal tunnel are giving me a hard time. Many of the starting moves involve having my hands above my heart, which over time makes my carpal tunnel hand numb and tingly. and of course the repeated impact with the sticks are causing pain in the hands. Not a pain that I can't handle for an hour a class, more just uncomfortable. To the point that I start doubting my grip. I did wrap my sticks with a soft wrap used for tennis rackets, and it seems to he helpful.

I truly think that I just need to stick with it for a few months, build hand strength, and start dropping weight. But wonder if anyone has advice?

Exercises for the hands? stretches? general commentary?