Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    mt/bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How to recover after a hard week of training

It's been one week of amazingly sweet cruel and hardcore training

My body feels so good and at the same time it's breaking down. As I am being more active I'm eating a lot more (healthy food) and drinking lots of water

I'm training 5-6x a week and that means getting 1-2 days of rest. What to do in those 1-2 days? massage? magical protein powder? swim?

I want to know your guys secret recovery tactics (pls)

Style
    Goju Ryu/Balintawak Arnis
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Massage and weeping at the pain of moving, it works wonders

I have had swimming recommended to me as well, but cardio that doesn't involve punching people or combat cuddling isn't my thing

Sent from my GT-I9100

Style
    Karate
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Big Maclol, people fall into characteristics groups by nature, and there are other factors, both of which influence what works. I often think of the bell curve is a good picture to carry around when making assessments.

A small group of people can be pushing hard all week, and their body normalizes to that. Advice from that group, or to that group, would be different from people in the center of the curve, which would be most of us, and then the lower part of the curve would injure easily, often, and be slow to heal. Advice to that easily hurt / slow to heal group at the low end of the curve would be different from that which is useful to the others, as well.

Age and genetics will also influence how people normalize to physical fitness / combatives training. Even in youth, someone prone by family to knee problems will require different advice than someone for whom running won't ever be a problem. And, at 55, exercise looks very different than when I was 25. If you are 25, your rate of recovery is probably already different than when you were still in the 18-20 year group.

Another factor is the purpose of the training. Is it simply personal challenge, or do you expect to make it a regular routine, or is it for a qualifying course, or for periodic requalification for employment?

In my peak years of training (getting ever smaller in the rear view mirror), the year was on a cycle with normal fitness training building to an annual fitness test. When going through selection courses, I increased training for several months prior to the event, building to the event. At one point, I was working out five days a week, twice a day. Weights one morning, combined with flexibility training in the afternoon, and then aerobics on the next day, with running in the afternoon, but it was not a long term nor sustained program -- it was increased in intensity for purpose without inducing disqualifying injury.

The perspective of your age, the family health patterns you cannot escape because of genetics, the length of time your increased intensity training program will continue, and the purpose of training are all important factors in what advice you accept on how to recover.

Style
    Cross Fit, small arms.
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Protein and rest! Sleep and take it easy, you'll have the chance to beast yourself again in 24 hours or whatever so just chill.
    Ne Obliviscaris

Style
    mma /boxing/muai thai
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Swimming really works for me. Otherwise massage. Ice packs that sort of thing.

Maybe some yoga or something.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Style
    BJJ blue, judo ikkyu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eat. Sleep. Eat more. Go for a walk. Eat even more. Stretch a bit. Eat again, harder.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1point2 View Post
    Eat. Sleep. Eat more. Go for a walk. Eat even more. Stretch a bit. Eat again, harder.
    I like it when you talk dirty.

I've had a couple rough training days drilling lotsa takedowns. I'm using a lacrosse ball to help release tension (the so called self myofascial release). So far I'm finding it very helpful because getting rid of the tension in my back, at least some of it, helps me sleep better. So I'd really go with the massage if you can afford a professional.

I'm no health professional, so I could very well be fucking up my back or under the placebo effect.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten. supporting member
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eat. Sleep. Hot tub if you have one available. Swimming is nice too, but not swimming like Michael Phelps. Swimming like the old people in Cocoon is what you're shooting for.

Sex. Let her be on top.

Vegetate. Play some video games. Watch some movies. You've got to rest your mind too, Grasshoppa. Do what your lazy friends do.

Style
    mt/bjj
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Eat. Sleep. Hot tub if you have one available. Swimming is nice too, but not swimming like Michael Phelps. Swimming like the old people in Cocoon is what you're shooting for.

Sex. Let her be on top.

Vegetate. Play some video games. Watch some movies. You've got to rest your mind too, Grasshoppa. Do what your lazy friends do.
    Best advice evar1!1!!

And thanks everyone for the recovery tips. I'll be enhancing my recovery now!

:-)

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    Style
    Kodokan Judo
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

Page 1 of 2 12 Last