Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2011 7:22am

Style: Delusion

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Can't sleep

I'm currently trying to bulk up because I've been told that I'm far below my ideal weight so I'm lifting weights everyday and for some reason, I can't sleep.

I get about 6 hours tops. I just can't seem to get to sleep. I go to bed and just lay there for about an hour before I fall asleep and when I do fall asleep I tend to wake up in mid-sleep(about three hours in).

Have you guys experienced anything similar?

Posted On:
    4/14/2011 7:32am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1) Doing weights everyday is not optimal if you are just starting out, consistently follow a starting strength program or whatever instead. There is a slight chance you are overtraining and that is what is impacting on your sleep.

2) If you train late night it could be the endorphin release keeping you awake, I have trouble getting to sleep before 11 if i train at 8.

3) Most likely the real reason is something else not related to your training... like stress or stimulants.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2011 7:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Would depression count as stress?

My depression tends to increase in severity depending on how much cardio I do and since I'm lifting weights, I'm doing very little to none.

Note:I mean depression the physical illness not the emotion.

Posted On:
    4/14/2011 7:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depression has a huge effect on sleep quality.

You need to learn more about your mental illness and seek help/advice if you haven't already.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2011 8:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its bearable so I've never actually tried to get help.

Its less I want to kill myself or I'm drowning in angst and pain and more I feel numb and why aren't I happy? Unlike in the movies, I'm not actually sad. Sadness is more of an inevitability thanks to how hard it is to actually be happy.

I wake up sometimes and lie still for hours in my bed unable to move and sometimes I go through the day and no depression. Anger usually does the trick. I focus on something that makes me really mad and sometimes punch the wall untill the pain and adrenaline override the numb feeling.

Posted On:
    4/14/2011 8:33am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How old are you?

Sounds like puberty.
    Kenny Weldon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2011 8:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    18. Granted, it was the college counsellor that told me this so I'm not sure whether I REALLY do have it.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    4/14/2011 8:39am

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by StepInCross View Post
    Its bearable so I've never actually tried to get help.

Its less I want to kill myself or I'm drowning in angst and pain and more I feel numb and why aren't I happy? Unlike in the movies, I'm not actually sad. Sadness is more of an inevitability thanks to how hard it is to actually be happy.
    I have a long history of insomnia, mostly due to work-related stress, Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS), and according to my wife, mild ADHD.

Since learning how to meditate last year, I've significantly lowered my stress and greatly improved my sleep patterns (getting an avg of 2 extra hours per night, waking up more rested). This includes when I exercise within a few hours of bed.

CNN just had a great article with clinical studies showing the sleep benefits of meditation, yoga, and tai chi.

Get Some Sleep: Using acupressure, yoga, tai chi

Oh, and if you do find yourself awake late at night, try reading this thread: No-Sleep Gnomes, dancing on my head.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 4/14/2011 8:43am at .

Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/14/2011 12:51pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Overtraining can definitely keep you awake. When you're attempting to go to sleep do you feel your heart rate elevated more than it should be, do you feel really keyed up, does your body temperature literally feel hot such that you only need a sheet? Training too much can do these things, basically your metabolism gets kicked into high gear in order to recover from your workouts and it becomes really hard to get to sleep. Take a few rest days and see what happens, my guess is you'll suddenly find yourself exhausted and sleep like a log.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/14/2011 10:40pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I may be vulgar but have you tried a "fap" or **** before bed? You may have a lot of pent up sexual frustration(getting angry isn't supposed to make you sleep). I find it to be nature's ambien and yes...I fall asleep right after, much to the GF's chagrin.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast