Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/13/2011 10:15am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Gendai Martial Arts--Raleigh, NC

So there is this martial arts school right around the corner from where I work and train that I've never really paid much attention to.

The other day I was coming into my office from lunch and had just worked out...so I had my gym bag and gi with me (I hang it in an empty office to dry since I train later in the day too). A co-worked asked if I trained jiu jitsu...and of course I said 'yes' and asked him if he trained.

He told me he trained at Gendai Martial Arts, right across the street. As I started to ask the obvious questions about what they train, how they train, etc., the answers I got sounded pretty interesting. I was told that "we aren't based on any martial art, we are 100% self defense oriented and train only what works. We train something, test it out in the real world, and if it doesn't work, throw it away."

So...I couldn't resist and decided to check out the website:

http://www.gendaimartialarts.com/

There are truly some gems on there if you dig around.

Take this page for example: http://www.gendaimartialarts.com/?page_id=56

This is a list of martial arts and why they aren't good for self defense (including bjj, judo, karate, tkd, thai kickboxing, etc.).

And of course there is this page: http://www.gendaimartialarts.com/?page_id=22

Check out this little nugget:

Do you spar?
    NO! Sparring as it typically applies to most martial arts training involves two students agreeing to a set of rules and a referee. While sparring does teach a certain degree of timing, distancing, etc., it does not adequately prepare a student for the likely range and angles utilized by aggressive street thugs. There are obviously no rules in the street. There are no referees. And, fighting is illegal anyway. So, training to spar will likely be viewed as training to fight in court and by law enforcement.

So...just wanted to pass along for some laughs. I'm going to try and convince my co-worker to give my school a try (Royce BJJ school).

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    4/14/2011 2:42pm

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    training to spar will likely be viewed as training to fight in court and by law enforcement.
    Please go there with a video camera.

The guy claims some judo training but then there's ... the rest of his entire website. I'd be very interested to see just what it is that they think works so well.
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    4/14/2011 3:30pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did you see their videos page? Craptacular. Just more of the some old **** you see from the likes of Hatsumi, Dillman, etc. Uke attacks with one "technique", then dies while the good guy unleashes hellfire on him. **** like this is tiresome.

Don't these motherfuckers have cable TV? It seems like at this point everyone would be able to sniff out bullshit like this. I have no idea how they secure students.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    4/14/2011 9:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    So there is this martial arts school right around the corner from where I work and train that I've never really paid much attention to.

The other day I was coming into my office from lunch and had just worked out...so I had my gym bag and gi with me (I hang it in an empty office to dry since I train later in the day too). A co-worked asked if I trained jiu jitsu...and of course I said 'yes' and asked him if he trained.

He told me he trained at Gendai Martial Arts, right across the street. As I started to ask the obvious questions about what they train, how they train, etc., the answers I got sounded pretty interesting. I was told that "we aren't based on any martial art, we are 100% self defense oriented and train only what works. We train something, test it out in the real world, and if it doesn't work, throw it away."

So...I couldn't resist and decided to check out the website:

http://www.gendaimartialarts.com/

There are truly some gems on there if you dig around.

Take this page for example: http://www.gendaimartialarts.com/?page_id=56

This is a list of martial arts and why they aren't good for self defense (including bjj, judo, karate, tkd, thai kickboxing, etc.).

And of course there is this page: http://www.gendaimartialarts.com/?page_id=22

Check out this little nugget:

Do you spar?
    NO! Sparring as it typically applies to most martial arts training involves two students agreeing to a set of rules and a referee. While sparring does teach a certain degree of timing, distancing, etc., it does not adequately prepare a student for the likely range and angles utilized by aggressive street thugs. There are obviously no rules in the street. There are no referees. And, fighting is illegal anyway. So, training to spar will likely be viewed as training to fight in court and by law enforcement.

So...just wanted to pass along for some laughs. I'm going to try and convince my co-worker to give my school a try (Royce BJJ school).
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Take me with you when you go visit this school. PLEEEEEEAAAAAASSSSSEEEEE!!!!!!
    I need a good laugh.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2011 9:37pm

Style: TKD/ TSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I checked out the video page. It was crap-tacular!
    I think I get it now, legal use of force = slapfest...........yes, I can see how the distracting pimp slap would save your life from an armed assailant.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/14/2011 9:47pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    4/14/2011 9:53pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Take me with you when you go visit this school. PLEEEEEEAAAAAASSSSSEEEEE!!!!!!
    I need a good laugh.
    See, for this to REALLY work, you need thug it up a little bit, then you can just go in and start mugging people while yelling "ARE YOU STREET BITCH?!".

Though knowing most "Self defense" centered schools they will **** themselves to death when you walk in....

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/14/2011 9:54pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai/Sanda noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Lifelike Self-Defense TrainingTM". It looks so real.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2011 10:14pm

Style: TKD/ TSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    4/14/2011 10:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    See, for this to REALLY work, you need thug it up a little bit, then you can just go in and start mugging people while yelling "ARE YOU STREET BITCH?!".

Though knowing most "Self defense" centered schools they will **** themselves to death when you walk in....
    SUP SON! YALL STREET IN HEEERE? YO BREAK YO SELF BIOTCHES!!!

Sorry I don't do "Thug" well.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast