Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 10:34am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    1. "Ripstop" Is totally fine in Gi tournaments.
    2. Why would you have to lose more weight with a different Gi?
    The rip-stop fabric is not allowed in the IBJJF tournaments, which also requires you to weigh in with your gi right before you compete.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 1:30pm

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In all sincerity, how much weight will you save by going to a lighter gi? 2 or 3 lbs?

For my money I'd cut that little bit of weight, especially if weigh ins are not same day.
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 1:31pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let me rephrase, the ripstop PANTS are totally fine at Gi tournaments, including all IBJJF tournaments. The Jacket varies. The Pan-Ams and Mundials might bitch at you, but Lutador, US Grappling, NAGA, etc... won't.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 2:18pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tao.jonez View Post
    In all sincerity, how much weight will you save by going to a lighter gi? 2 or 3 lbs?

For my money I'd cut that little bit of weight, especially if weigh ins are not same day.
    Sit down young **** and let me es'plain to you the woes of growing old. I walk around about 205-210 for the past 6 years, rarely making it below that. I don't like to "drop" weight. I'm too old for that ****. So I'm going to lose that weight. I'm now sitting at 196 from a whopping 217 in early January. I have to weigh in a gi at 194. I'll be fucked if I'm going drop 2 or 3 lbs for the sake of a gi. I don't want to worry about it. If I get down to 188 I'll be safe. If I'm brave I'll continue to 176 but that's it.

So let granpa omega simply wear the lighter gi rather worry about whether he needs to drop weight or not. The good news is that I don't have to do a 10 minute match although I've been contemplating moving to the Masters division instead of the seniors.

Posted On:
    4/15/2011 5:31pm

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    Need a new competition gi. Anybody know this gi?
    http://www.centurymma.com/Gamness-GS...Gi_p_5964.html

I have a few questions about it.
    Ask Meerkat. He does loads of Gi reviews and has his own Blog "meerkatsu" and he's on Facebook.

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    4/16/2011 10:18pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I own or have worn the following:

Atama Mundial:
    http://www.nabjjf.com/store/cart.php...t_detail&p=273

My current lightweight 'go to' gi. VERY VERY minimal shrinkage (only because I was trying to shrink it - hot water + dryer - and even then it didn't shrink as much as I wanted). Rip-stop pants are very comfortable with plenty of room to move. Jacket feels like a 500-550g weight weave which is very light. It is lighter than my Vulkan (which weighs in at 3.8lbs for an A4).

Vulkan Pro Light
    http://www.nabjjf.com/store/cart.php...t_detail&p=174

Very comfortable gi with a fabric that feels soft to begin with (unlike a lot of weaves which feel like they exfoliate your face). Again, VERY VERY minimal shrinkage, if any at all. Pants are not rip-stop; they are a light-weight cotton, maybe 300-400g weight(?). I couldn't shrink it down to my preferred size so it is a backup. A4 weighs 3.8lbs.

Koral Light
    http://www.nabjjf.com/store/cart.php...t_detail&p=494

This one is probably the thinnest/lightest gi I've worn, but the jacket is rip-stop and of questionable legality in IBJJF and other organizations. I know my coach competed in one at Worlds though. I only mention it because it seems to be where gis will be heading material-wise in the future. The weight chart in the link seems off a bit. I KNOW this gi is lighter than my others.

Gameness Pearl Weave
    http://www.nabjjf.com/store/cart.php...t_detail&p=138

The one I own is 3 years old and I believe they have changed material weights since then (so realize that my comments are about an 'older model'). I can't comment on how much it weighs but, if they use the same fabric processing (not pre-shrunk), then this gi will shrink quite a bit. The one I have is light, but not nearly as light as my Atama or Vulkan. The pants use rope which I prefer but they aren't really lightweight (maybe a 400-450g?).

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/16/2011 10:34pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Skippy View Post
    I own or have worn the following:

Atama Mundial:
    http://www.nabjjf.com/store/cart.php...t_detail&p=273

My current lightweight 'go to' gi. VERY VERY minimal shrinkage (only because I was trying to shrink it - hot water + dryer - and even then it didn't shrink as much as I wanted). Rip-stop pants are very comfortable with plenty of room to move. Jacket feels like a 500-550g weight weave which is very light. It is lighter than my Vulkan (which weighs in at 3.8lbs for an A4).

Vulkan Pro Light
    http://www.nabjjf.com/store/cart.php...t_detail&p=174

Very comfortable gi with a fabric that feels soft to begin with (unlike a lot of weaves which feel like they exfoliate your face). Again, VERY VERY minimal shrinkage, if any at all. Pants are not rip-stop; they are a light-weight cotton, maybe 300-400g weight(?). I couldn't shrink it down to my preferred size so it is a backup. A4 weighs 3.8lbs.

Koral Light
    http://www.nabjjf.com/store/cart.php...t_detail&p=494

This one is probably the thinnest/lightest gi I've worn, but the jacket is rip-stop and of questionable legality in IBJJF and other organizations. I know my coach competed in one at Worlds though. I only mention it because it seems to be where gis will be heading material-wise in the future. The weight chart in the link seems off a bit. I KNOW this gi is lighter than my others.

Gameness Pearl Weave
    http://www.nabjjf.com/store/cart.php...t_detail&p=138

The one I own is 3 years old and I believe they have changed material weights since then (so realize that my comments are about an 'older model'). I can't comment on how much it weighs but, if they use the same fabric processing (not pre-shrunk), then this gi will shrink quite a bit. The one I have is light, but not nearly as light as my Atama or Vulkan. The pants use rope which I prefer but they aren't really lightweight (maybe a 400-450g?).
    Exactly what I was looking for. I have no idea if I'm going to be A3 or A2. I'm swimming in my A4 right now so we shall see.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    4/17/2011 11:30pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Missing post moved here: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=105780

For reference:
    Quote Originally Posted by sirricky85 View Post
    so omega, which one are you planning on getting? thanks for the link btw.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    4/18/2011 8:38am

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sit down young **** and let me es'plain to you the woes of growing old. I walk around about 205-210 for the past 6 years, rarely making it below that. I don't like to "drop" weight. I'm too old for that ****. So I'm going to lose that weight. I'm now sitting at 196 from a whopping 217 in early January. I have to weigh in a gi at 194. I'll be fucked if I'm going drop 2 or 3 lbs for the sake of a gi. I don't want to worry about it. If I get down to 188 I'll be safe. If I'm brave I'll continue to 176 but that's it.

So let granpa omega simply wear the lighter gi rather worry about whether he needs to drop weight or not. The good news is that I don't have to do a 10 minute match although I've been contemplating moving to the Masters division instead of the seniors.
    Thank you for the explanation. I would love to hear what your decision is, and a write up on how your gi performs.
    I know losing the weight is challenging for someone your age, and I wish you the best in your endeavor.
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    4/18/2011 11:54am

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Exactly what I was looking for. I have no idea if I'm going to be A3 or A2. I'm swimming in my A4 right now so we shall see.
    I walk around at about 185, and A3 tends to be a little big on me. I'd recommend A3 to you, as you're probably a little bigger than I am. I will say though, that if you cut to 176, you'll probably be right in my shoes, which is somewhere between an A3-A2. Fushida, a company that makes two gis I own and sponsors a buddy, makes a somewhat lightweight gi, and they also do custom sizing. You may want to check them out.

http://www.fushida.ca/martial-arts-supplies.php
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast