Sponsored Links Spacer Image

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    4/14/2011 3:36am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Diducdat? what in the name of the lord does any of that have to do with Orwell?

Posted On:
    4/14/2011 4:49am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unsubscribed

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/14/2011 5:01am

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by diducdat? View Post
    In Aikido, most, (wait,all but me) of the other adult students were out of shape and tired easily from mild activity. Almost none of them came from any type of athletic background, or struck me as the type who've ever been in a real fight. Well, with an exception or two. Most were tech-geeks to put it mildly.

One was this tree-hugging smarmy douche bag who sat there and told me how assumptive people in Oklahoma were. In the same breath made ten lame assumptions. Finally ended up putting a sankaku on this guy.
    diducdat,

Awesome posts!

I've recently been invited to restart my long dormant aikido, but now, due to your sage posting, think otherwise.

Tell me more!

Posted On:
    4/14/2011 8:37am

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post
    diducdat,

Awesome posts!

I've recently been invited to restart my long dormant aikido, but now, due to your sage posting, think otherwise.

Tell me more!
    My Judo self scorns my Aikido self. My Aikido self just wants a donut.

Posted On:
    4/14/2011 10:00am

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ...and my BJJ self look at both of them and laughs his ass off.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2011 11:24am

Style: yellow bamboo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Then There Was Stewey.......

Okay. Thats not his real name. But I'll just refer to him as such due to privacy and respect.

Stewey,and his father,Mick, were father and son students. Nice Korean/American family.The father was a doctor who was very supportive of what Stewey did.

When I met them,Stewey was a 12 yo 7th grader who trained with his dad and the adults. He probably weighed all of about 100 lbs. att. Like with most kids his age, I joked and acted funny a lot. I also noticed him and his father had an eye for ability over what color your belt was.

One evening when the dad was working,and a particular douchey instructor was teaching,( more on him later)he decided we needed to work on our ukemi. Big rolls in particular. Really, there was nothing wrong with what Stewey was doing. He could take his ukemi just fine. But this A-hole decided he was going to tell him/make him try something different.

Doing what he was told, Stewey hit the ground shoulder first, and snapped his collar bone. I could hear it.

Instructor Ding-Dong as I'll call him, hadnt a clue on first aid,started touching him,wouldnt listen to a mere orange belt, etc.This guy thought his hakama made him an expert in everything.

The kid was out for no less then 6 weeks.And the worst part was, he missed his 1st year of wrestling. When I found out he was going to start wrestling, I got excited for him. I'd take 1/2 to 2 hours after class to try to cram things into his head. Proper 2 leg and when to hit it,proper stance,firemans carry,Jap whizzer,one-leg to hip toss. As well as sitting out, riding, and multiple pins and how to work them so one can't easily bridge out. This kid soaked everything in like a sponge.

When sensei finally noticed what we were doing after a few months of this, he immediately talked **** and put an end to it. How dare I use his mats for the purpose of an evil,vile sport like wrestling111!!! Stewey and I were going live, and this clown was acting like I was trying to kill him. Sensei seemed to particularly despise anything that could detract from Aikido.

That year, Stewey's dad came up and thanked me, as did Stewey,( I didnt see them as often anymore).Steweys dad told me his coach was particularly impressed with his technique,and he went through the season undefeated. A friend of mine who is the coach at a rival middle school said the same. Sensei,instead of congratulating him,said some **** about him missing Aikido and scoffed.

The last time I saw him, he had joined an MMA gym, went to wrestling camps,took up freestyle, etc. Sensei said he wanted me to help talk him out of this. I told Stewey what he said. More on this later. But it lead to me ultimately quitting Aikido.

I was proud of that kid. He genuinely earned my respect. When you try to teach things to many kids, they act as though your taking time out of their busy schedule of video games and whacking off or staring off into space/whatever. But this kid with his fathers encouragement, and his ability to recognize truth from BS made an acheivement. He could be a famous champ someday. While I feel I may have had something to do with it,sensei tries to discourage it

Posted On:
    4/14/2011 1:16pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by diducdat? View Post
    Then There Was Stewey.......

Okay. Thats not his real name. But I'll just refer to him as such due to privacy and respect.

Stewey,and his father,Mick, were father and son students. Nice Korean/American family.The father was a doctor who was very supportive of what Stewey did.

When I met them,Stewey was a 12 yo 7th grader who trained with his dad and the adults. He probably weighed all of about 100 lbs. att. Like with most kids his age, I joked and acted funny a lot. I also noticed him and his father had an eye for ability over what color your belt was.

One evening when the dad was working,and a particular douchey instructor was teaching,( more on him later)he decided we needed to work on our ukemi. Big rolls in particular. Really, there was nothing wrong with what Stewey was doing. He could take his ukemi just fine. But this A-hole decided he was going to tell him/make him try something different.

Doing what he was told, Stewey hit the ground shoulder first, and snapped his collar bone. I could hear it.

Instructor Ding-Dong as I'll call him, hadnt a clue on first aid,started touching him,wouldnt listen to a mere orange belt, etc.This guy thought his hakama made him an expert in everything.

The kid was out for no less then 6 weeks.And the worst part was, he missed his 1st year of wrestling. When I found out he was going to start wrestling, I got excited for him. I'd take 1/2 to 2 hours after class to try to cram things into his head. Proper 2 leg and when to hit it,proper stance,firemans carry,Jap whizzer,one-leg to hip toss. As well as sitting out, riding, and multiple pins and how to work them so one can't easily bridge out. This kid soaked everything in like a sponge.

When sensei finally noticed what we were doing after a few months of this, he immediately talked **** and put an end to it. How dare I use his mats for the purpose of an evil,vile sport like wrestling111!!! Stewey and I were going live, and this clown was acting like I was trying to kill him. Sensei seemed to particularly despise anything that could detract from Aikido.

That year, Stewey's dad came up and thanked me, as did Stewey,( I didnt see them as often anymore).Steweys dad told me his coach was particularly impressed with his technique,and he went through the season undefeated. A friend of mine who is the coach at a rival middle school said the same. Sensei,instead of congratulating him,said some **** about him missing Aikido and scoffed.

The last time I saw him, he had joined an MMA gym, went to wrestling camps,took up freestyle, etc. Sensei said he wanted me to help talk him out of this. I told Stewey what he said. More on this later. But it lead to me ultimately quitting Aikido.

I was proud of that kid. He genuinely earned my respect. When you try to teach things to many kids, they act as though your taking time out of their busy schedule of video games and whacking off or staring off into space/whatever. But this kid with his fathers encouragement, and his ability to recognize truth from BS made an acheivement. He could be a famous champ someday. While I feel I may have had something to do with it,sensei tries to discourage it
    I too thank you for taking the time to bring your wonderful skills to all the douchebags that are not you. You are the jesus of all martial artsness.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/14/2011 2:42pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    My problem with Lovecraft is mostly that his characters are always kinda the same (a bookish nervous man learns something he shouldn't, explores it further, is terrified by something vague, regrets it later and writes the tale as a warning).
    I liked "Shadow Over Innsmouth" (or, as someone else retitled it, NO, NO! DON'T BREED WITH THAT!) and a few of the others, "Case of Charles Dexter Ward", and "The Dunwich Horror". But at least in the latter cases, Humanity manages to bloody the nose of the Elder Gods and their vile acolytes...make of that what you will. And of course "The Lurking Terror" got made into a movie starring Rutger Hauer, so you can't go wrong there.

Hippies make poor dictators.
    The whole "Orgies and Soma for everyone" of Brave New World looks like something that a flower child would come up with, at least to me. Of course the whole business with eugenics and forcing the "savages" onto reservations isn't very hippy-ish, but...

Posted On:
    4/14/2011 2:54pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Tortelli View Post
    I liked "Shadow Over Innsmouth" (or, as someone else retitled it, NO, NO! DON'T BREED WITH THAT!) and a few of the others, "Case of Charles Dexter Ward", and "The Dunwich Horror". But at least in the latter cases, Humanity manages to bloody the nose of the Elder Gods and their vile acolytes...make of that what you will. And of course "The Lurking Terror" got made into a movie starring Rutger Hauer, so you can't go wrong there.

The whole "Orgies and Soma for everyone" of Brave New World looks like something that a flower child would come up with, at least to me. Of course the whole business with eugenics and forcing the "savages" onto reservations isn't very hippy-ish, but...
    If "Billy Jack" had been in those "Orwellian" masterpieces, the short attention spanned among us would have understood the message better.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/14/2011 3:00pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom .C View Post
    If "Billy Jack" had been in those "Orwellian" masterpieces, the short attention spanned among us would have understood the message better.
    Please do not mention speak the name of "He Who Runs The Freedom School" on this thread. Else the Walker With No Boots may be summoned into our Euclidean dimension and devour our sanity with endless hippie sing alongs and awful improv acting workshops.
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 91011 LastLast