Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/13/2011 5:20pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Heartily disagree! 1984 explored other areas that develop after longer periods of totalitarianism, since it was set well after the events leading to its establishment. On the other hand, it's been a really long time since I've read Animal Farm, so I might be forgetting a lot of it.
    The fate of Boxer was really disturbing to me when I read it as a young'un. The problem I had with 1984 was the same problem I had with a lot of H.P. Lovecraft's work, it's hard for me to identify (and thus be emotionally invested in the fate of) an intellectual nebbish who pretty much gets dragged along by events.

And I'd rather be crushed by the jackboot of Big Brother or Napoleon that suffer the attempts of the people in "Brave New World" to "help" me.

In the grim darkness of the future, there are only hippies...and they run everything!

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    4/13/2011 5:39pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Tortelli View Post
    The fate of Boxer was really disturbing to me when I read it as a young'un.
    My dad read this book to me out loud when I was small. At the point you refer to I made him stop and didn't read the rest till a decade later. True story.
    Last edited by PointyShinyBurn; 4/13/2011 5:43pm at .

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/13/2011 5:51pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Tortelli View Post
    The problem I had with 1984 was the same problem I had with a lot of H.P. Lovecraft's work, it's hard for me to identify (and thus be emotionally invested in the fate of) an intellectual nebbish who pretty much gets dragged along by events.
    I find your use of the word "nebbish" to be overly intellectual. We'll send someone over to re-educate you immediately.

My problem with Lovecraft is mostly that his characters are always kinda the same (a bookish nervous man learns something he shouldn't, explores it further, is terrified by something vague, regrets it later and writes the tale as a warning).

In the grim darkness of the future, there are only hippies...and they run everything!
    Hippies make poor dictators.

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    4/13/2011 6:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by diducdat? View Post
    In Aikido, most, (wait,all but me) of the other adult students were out of shape and tired easily from mild activity. Almost none of them came from any type of athletic background, or struck me as the type who've ever been in a real fight. Well, with an exception or two. Most were tech-geeks to put it mildly.

One was this tree-hugging smarmy douche bag who sat there and told me how assumptive people in Oklahoma were. In the same breath made ten lame assumptions. Finally ended up putting a sankaku on this guy.

There was a 12 yo girl who held an adult rank,who the sensei claimed could take on grown men. Really she was a stupid kid with poor social skills and a snotty attitude. If I was stuck training with her, she would complain about God knows what. One day just "gently" took this kid down and did a double coil-lock pin. Didnt hurt. Just trying to help her out.

Another guy was an obese brown belt with an earring who claimed he did Judo before. Never mind he couldnt do a proper breakfall. These Aikidorks did them with their legs crossed, and argued with me about it. Somehow because I didnt recieve a black belt from Muryama the Jap huckster,my training from high level Judo players meant nothing. Oh, and he claimed that Aikido was highly effective against animals. More so than a .45. He said this seriously too,btw.

Then there was the eastern European meathead. This guy was no wimp. He was kinda tough and was actually in the Olympics. But he was dumb as a box of rocks. He actually said my Judo techniques were useless. I ended up throwing this guy with an Uchi Mata and performing a trunk strangle from Kesa Gatame. He outweighed me by 50 lbs btw. With no where near the skill, and even though leaving for three months at a time, he held the same rank as me. Hmmm,so sensei could still collect money from him perhaps?

Then there was the smug teenager. This kid looked like a sloppy douche, but I was generally nice to him.He had a 9 yo sister who was cute as a button. Reason why I bring this up is because he was always having her sit on his lap and hugging and kissing on her. Kinda creepy. I dont know how I couldve been the only guy who noticed it.

One day, he smugly,but politely challenged me. He was 200 lbs, and I was 160. Round 1 got him with a shin choke from guard. Round 2 I threw him with Tae Otoshi set my hooks on his back,and executed an Okuri Eri Jime. I feel I did him a favor tbh.#1 teach him not to take on the arrogance of the BB's. #2 don't be falsely confident.#3 Dont you dare put up Aikido against a combat sport. He figured it out. But these other idiots yammered about never going to the ground.

There was also a hodge-podge of other weirdos,d&d geeks, and even a "transgendered"ftm thingy I called Pat. Something about Aikido seems to breed arrogance. It brings out a smugness.

You know, you're first post was pretty good. I subbed the thread because I thought this might bring up some interesting discussion and stories.

You're second post comes acrss like you're a smug douchebag who thinks he's god's gift to combat sports after doing, what, a couple years or less of judo. Your tales of how awesomely you punked your training partners in Aikido do not impress me.

Posted On:
    4/13/2011 6:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But his opponents were a 12 years old girl and some obese untrained individuals... he clearly has mad skillz.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    4/13/2011 6:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, diducdat?, do you see that? You've let JudOWNED down, you've let all of us down, and what's worse - you've let yourself down.

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    4/14/2011 12:46am

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find your use of the word "nebbish" to be overly intellectual. We'll send someone over to re-educate you immediately.
    pol

pot

pol

pot

pol
    pot

Pol Pot
    Pol Pot
    POL POT

POLPOTPOLPOTPOLPOTPOLPOTPOLPOTPOLPOTPOLPOTPOLPOT

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Posted On:
    4/14/2011 1:10am

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On the 1984, Animal Farm, Farenheit 451 subject: All my friends preferred Terry Gilliam's "Brazil". I never really got into it myself. Lovecraft on the other hand, I loved.

Diducdat: It's official, Aikido doesn't want you either.

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2011 1:29am

Style: yellow bamboo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now Let Me Talk About The Instructors....

Now for those that take things out of context,(its easy to do over the webz),a friendly challenge or rough housing with kids is hardly "punking" anyone. I actually liked training with the big teenager because he would try and resist me. When sensei saw this, he would flip out.

As for that girl, it was a pig-pile situation. Either me or 20 7 year olds.Nothing I did would hurt anyone.And my 8yo daughter cries less then some of you guys. I hope for her sake,now that shes a few years older, that she sees past the bullshit that guy tried to fill her head with. And I really hope she doesnt try that crap if ever stuck in a hairy situation.

Nowthen:
    One instructor was a sloppy looking guy about 5'9" and 225 lbs. This guy always had his nose in the air. And he was always blabbing about how Aikido was the greatest, nothing could defeat it, other MA's dont work, blah blah blah.

I had maybe a month of prior Kali training, when I commented on their "Tsuki Kotegeashi" technique, and dared to question it. This guy had challenged me to attack him with a wooden tanto.

I made a slashing motion and connect right underneath his jawbone. The guys jaw dropped and he said,"But you didnt do a tsuki!" (No ****, Sherlock) He then told me to try it again. I faked that attack, then swung it down to his inner thigh.

He was obviously frustrated, and grabbed ahold of the blade with a tight fist. When I pulled it from his hand, he tried some lame head-lock thingy, while ignoring the weapon. I was able to jam that thing in his kidneys a good hard 15 times.

Even though his dead, shitty technique didnt work, he still made excuses,how somehow I didnt attack him correctly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2011 2:09am

Style: yellow bamboo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I trained as a guest in another dojo tonight. There were people of all different skill levels. From white belts to a 5th dan.I rolled with lots of them. Some owned me. I owned some. And some were epic battles. If I see myself getting over on someone a little too much, I slow down, work on pure technique I need to work on, and give them lots of feedback. Nobody "punks" on anyone. All mutual welfare and benefit. And by the end of the workout, everyone has their ego beat out of them.

Now when an Aikigeek tells me my techniques are crap and useless, and that somehow his half-assed Aikido can roll on it, I take that as a challenge.

I at least tried my Aikido on the guys in Judo. Didnt get punked. Just shown reality. But then again, I didnt roll in claiming I get defeat them all with a wave of my arms,either.
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 LastLast