Sponsored Links Spacer Image

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    4/13/2011 12:04am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kagan: haha! You caught me out on a typo!
    shame on me.

That being said, the first post of this guy looks exactly like the kind of first post I would make here if I all of a sudden discovered bullshido this year. Respect for this noob! :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2011 12:15am

Style: bjj, boxing, ex-iwama ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    so whats the Gee Ohh with all the guys on the likes of aikiweb who say they love doing aikido AND judo?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2011 12:16am

Style: Kendo, Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    God damnit guys stop tempting me to take the aikido classes at my college in pursuit of easy poon! Doubly so because I absolutely detest all the aikido I've encountered in Matsuno-ryu Jujitsu, and the last thing I need is to get kicked out of college for breaking my karate death-shin off in some skirt wearing douche's ass.

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    4/13/2011 12:20am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, there are rare Aikido gyms around that are decent. (this is a wildly unsubstantiated theory) mine wasn't. Maybe some are?
    If we consider Aikido as purely a superset of JJ techs that occasionally present themselves, and even more occasionally work, you just might develop a suitable delivery system for these techs via the Judo training.

Aikido as a concept, has philosophical appeal. The concept of destroying an attack or posture by embracing it is an elegant concept and is perhaps best demonstrated in an art like BJJ.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2011 12:35am

Style: 10thP/BJJ/Wrestling/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Well, there are rare Aikido gyms around that are decent. (this is a wildly unsubstantiated theory) mine wasn't. Maybe some are?
    If we consider Aikido as purely a superset of JJ techs that occasionally present themselves, and even more occasionally work, you just might develop a suitable delivery system for these techs via the Judo training.

Aikido as a concept, has philosophical appeal. The concept of destroying an attack or posture by embracing it is an elegant concept and is perhaps best demonstrated in an art like BJJ.
    I would also point out, as was pointed out to me with some cool pictures/references by RockApe and another poster whose name I can't remember, that Aikido and Judo do have a few very similar techniques.

Please note that I didn't say Aikido and Judo were "the same" or "similar" just that there is definitely at least some shared lineage there. So I don't find it all that surprising that some people crosstrain between the two styles, for whatever reason. Then again, maybe I'm just furious that I was never good enough at Aikido to be allowed to wear the magic pants.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2011 12:52am

Style: Kendo, Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just bought my own magic pants that I prance around it when nobody else is at home. It's probably pretty much the same thing.

I admit, if the class were at all conveniently timed to coincide with pretty much anything else I do I'd take the aikido just out of curiosity and for shits and giggles, but it's not, which leaves me with the actual dojo in Tucson. In such a situation where I had the money to attend aikido on top of Judo and the YMCA membership which allows me to take Matsuno-ryu Jujitsu, I would, instead, spend said money on capoeira.

Why? Because if I became good at capoeira, I would be drowning in easy poon by sheer virtue of being alive. Much better than being so by virtue of being completely full of **** and/or myself.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2011 1:11am

Style: yellow bamboo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Let me talk about the other students.....

In Aikido, most, (wait,all but me) of the other adult students were out of shape and tired easily from mild activity. Almost none of them came from any type of athletic background, or struck me as the type who've ever been in a real fight. Well, with an exception or two. Most were tech-geeks to put it mildly.

One was this tree-hugging smarmy douche bag who sat there and told me how assumptive people in Oklahoma were. In the same breath made ten lame assumptions. Finally ended up putting a sankaku on this guy.

There was a 12 yo girl who held an adult rank,who the sensei claimed could take on grown men. Really she was a stupid kid with poor social skills and a snotty attitude. If I was stuck training with her, she would complain about God knows what. One day just "gently" took this kid down and did a double coil-lock pin. Didnt hurt. Just trying to help her out.

Another guy was an obese brown belt with an earring who claimed he did Judo before. Never mind he couldnt do a proper breakfall. These Aikidorks did them with their legs crossed, and argued with me about it. Somehow because I didnt recieve a black belt from Muryama the Jap huckster,my training from high level Judo players meant nothing. Oh, and he claimed that Aikido was highly effective against animals. More so than a .45. He said this seriously too,btw.

Then there was the eastern European meathead. This guy was no wimp. He was kinda tough and was actually in the Olympics. But he was dumb as a box of rocks. He actually said my Judo techniques were useless. I ended up throwing this guy with an Uchi Mata and performing a trunk strangle from Kesa Gatame. He outweighed me by 50 lbs btw. With no where near the skill, and even though leaving for three months at a time, he held the same rank as me. Hmmm,so sensei could still collect money from him perhaps?

Then there was the smug teenager. This kid looked like a sloppy douche, but I was generally nice to him.He had a 9 yo sister who was cute as a button. Reason why I bring this up is because he was always having her sit on his lap and hugging and kissing on her. Kinda creepy. I dont know how I couldve been the only guy who noticed it.

One day, he smugly,but politely challenged me. He was 200 lbs, and I was 160. Round 1 got him with a shin choke from guard. Round 2 I threw him with Tae Otoshi set my hooks on his back,and executed an Okuri Eri Jime. I feel I did him a favor tbh.#1 teach him not to take on the arrogance of the BB's. #2 don't be falsely confident.#3 Dont you dare put up Aikido against a combat sport. He figured it out. But these other idiots yammered about never going to the ground.

There was also a hodge-podge of other weirdos,d&d geeks, and even a "transgendered"ftm thingy I called Pat. Something about Aikido seems to breed arrogance. It brings out a smugness.

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    4/13/2011 1:11am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iainkelt View Post
    Then again, maybe I'm just furious that I was never good enough at Aikido to be allowed to wear the magic pants.
    Ah yes, the magic pants.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2011 1:24am

Style: Hsing I, Bagua, Chi kung

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post

If Ashida Kim did Aikido, and was also a maths teacher - that was my Instructor.
    I'm thinking there is every reason to believe he did.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2011 1:32am

Style: Taekkyon/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by diducdat? View Post
    Oh, and he claimed that Aikido was highly effective against animals. More so than a .45. He said this seriously too,btw.
    WTF? I know kyokushin karate has been used against animals[bulls] before, but Aikido against animals? Did that guy specifiy what kind of animal he was talking about?
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast