Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Newb Judo threads question (not about which gi to buy)

A couple of guys from out of town showed up at my Judo class the other day, both black belts. Unlike the rest of the men, they wore shirts under their gis. During warmup I heard one of our regular black belts tell them they needed to take those off, that shirts under the gi were only to be worn by women.

Is this standard? And if so, is there a functional reason to be so stern about a no shirts rule?

Style
    MT/BJJ/MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I ALWAYS wear my rashguard under my Gi.
    Asking people to remove clothing that really doesn't interfere with the training seems pretty strange to me.

Style
    Jacket wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's tradition, so some people get butthurt about it and others don't give a damn.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its traditional not to wear a **** under the gi, if you're male and that only women wear a shirt under the gi. I've never had a problem with men who wear a t-shirt.

It is traditional though. Although, I wouldn't kick up a fuss for visiting dan grades wearing a shirt, ****, I've let dan grades practice at our club wearing a borrowed gi top and board shorts.

Style
    ukemi & tapping out
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When visiting a school you follow that school's rules. Personally I prefer to wear a shirt or rashguard under my gi simply because the more layers you have the more hygienic it is.

Style
    MT/BJJ/MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Guess View Post
    When visiting a school you follow that school's rules. Personally I prefer to wear a shirt or rashguard under my gi simply because the more layers you have the more hygienic it is.
    ^ this

Style
    JKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was literally the only guy in my judo class to wear a shirt, and not a single person ever mentioned to me that it was out of the ordinary. We were really stupid and relaxed about uniforms though. Karate gis were allowed if that was all you had and didnt really care about it getting ripped off.