--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2011 1:49am

Style: MT, BJJ, BBT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've always been able to do pull-ups, but when I recently got into a bit of bodybuilding I found that I couldn't do the number of sets/reps I wanted with a wide grip. I just pushed a chair near my legs, did what I could unassisted, and finished the set with chair assist to the up position, and no assist for the slow negative.

I've also tried both P90x and Insanity, and I wouldn't recommend either of them to anyone. Check out http://www.scoobysworkshop.com/ .. This guy is kind of goofy, but he gives great advice. More importantly, all of his exercises have video clips, can be done without a spotter, and are free/dirt cheap to pull off.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    8/30/2011 8:24am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo, MT, KM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpe Noctem View Post
    Good advice (especially about not feeding your face constantly). If you have a flex band, you can loop it over the bar, stick your foot through the loop and voila, you have some assistance for pullups. If you don't have one or can't afford one, then do as Phrost said.
    This. I wasn't able to do any pull ups at the start of this year. I did P90x and started with negatives until I could descend very slow and controlled. After that they suggest using a chair for support, however the range of motion is a bit off and the assistance inconsistent. I suggest iron woody bands as mentioned by Carpe. They come in three different resistances and I have seen the most gains with these.

http://www.ironwoodyfitness.com/fitness-bands.php

As far as the workouts themselves, they worked great for me. I was coming back from a back injury and after two and a half months w p90x I don't have that issue anymore. I felt stronger than ever when I went back to training MA. I did poorly on the diet part (the most important part) however and have only kept off 20 of the 35 lbs I lost.

I have insanity and have tried a few of the vids but haven't jumped in full swing like I did w P90x. What I did do was super intense though. Seems more Cardio based, while I feel p90x incorporates a more rounded program with strength days, cardio, stretch, and even yoga work on core and stabilizer muscles.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2011 11:25am

Style: BJJ n stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Check out the 'Convict Conditioning' approach to chin ups. It assumes that you can't do any and gets you on a progression of easier exercises that goes to two handed chins and eventually single handed chin ups (among other crazy exercises).

Here's something I found on youtube with the various progressions for pull ups. Go to the guys page, it starts out at exercise 1 and you can click on through the next levels. It starts out very easy.

Last edited by Prince Vlad; 8/30/2011 11:33am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2011 5:59pm

Style: Grappling/bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tried both. Both work well and I bought both off of craigslist. That way you can get it for close to half off of what you would pay retail for. Tons of people have ordered both and never finish them so there loss is your gain. My opinion is that Insanity was better. It seemed more intense and quicker. P90X seemed borning and watching that guy for an hour was enough for me to want to quit.Insanity was fast paced, and the chicks were hot. I also did other stuff on my own but I say go with insanity if its between the two. The diets they include are really common sense stuff that i do already. I am interested in GSP's RUSHFIT. Anyone tried that?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/16/2011 8:24pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know this is an older thread but, I thought an article I found might add a little insight for others that find this through the search function.

American Council of Fitness Compares of P90x, Insanity, and Rushfit
    http://www.acefitness.org/certifiedn...a-side-by-side
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12