Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2011 11:16am

Style: xBJJ xTKD ninpo nusubito

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

gracie academy "bullyproof" program?

is this just marketing hype or CAN this possibly work?

http://www.thepostgame.com/features/...lp-ufc-royalty

UFC 134 in Rio de Janeiro this weekend will rightly include homage to the iconic Gracie family, creators of Brazilian jiu-jitsu nearly 100 years ago, creators of the Ultimate Fighting Championship nearly 20 years ago, creators of legendary family fighting figures and jiu-jitsu instructors that span the globe.
    But the Gracies' most positive impact might be felt at a middle school in a Denver suburb where a seventh grader is unafraid of bullies for the first time since he can remember.
    Martin Hendricks, 12, spent a week this summer at the Gracie Academy in Torrance, Calif., in an intensive program designed to make him "Bullyproof." He learned as many jiu-jitsu self-defense techniques as a kid can absorb in five days, he memorized a blueprint for dealing with a bully fairly and squarely, and he gained self-confidence. The first week of school he put the lessons into practice.
    "I'm still a little nervous but it all went well," Hendricks said quietly in a phone call to Rener Gracie, his personal instructor at the academy. "He'll never bother me again. Let me tell you about it."
    another excerpt:

Rener taught Martin the three T-steps: TALK to the bully and ask him to leave you alone. TELL the teacher and your parent that the bully won't stop even after you've talked to him. TACKLE the bully and use jiu-jitsu to gain control of him without resorting to punches or kicks.
    "If you draw that line with your words and the bully respects it, the case is closed without a physical altercation," Rener told Martin. "But if you draw that line and they slap you, kick you, cross that line again, you don't think twice. You take both of your hands and push him as hard as you can in the chest. You blast him. Knock him off his feet.
    "Then take control using jiu-jitsu and tell him you will let him go if he promises not to bother you any longer. If he won't say it, wait until a teacher or another adult shows up before letting him up."
    Martin nodded. Rener had given him a plan and taught him enough jiu-jitsu techniques to take control of a bully. Still, Martin wondered, would he be able to execute the plan when he returned to Colorado and started school the following week?
    thoughts are welcome guys.

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    8/26/2011 11:34am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kids are sponges - mine can learn a dance from watching it once or twice on Youtube, and were picking up kata left and right in krotty (the bjj bug hasn't bit them, yet). 5 days does seem a little quick, but I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility; gross body movements against someone that is not expecting them (the bully) and is probably untrained in how to handle them are probably very effective.
    Last edited by submessenger; 8/26/2011 11:39am at . Reason: removed my assertion now that I read the whole thing

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2011 11:46am

Style: TSD, Karate & Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It sounds like a self-defence and confidence build up class with the flavor of BJJ. Can it work? Yes...

Posted On:
    8/26/2011 11:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Zhooo zhitsu wins again.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/26/2011 2:27pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Put that kid on a wrestling team!!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2011 11:08am

Style: xBJJ xTKD ninpo nusubito

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks for the responses, guys. truth is, I got a little doubtful seeing it saying it's just in 5 days. kids I've seen here had more than 5 sessions under their belt can't put a good restrain on their peers without some GnP.

or maybe they just love boxing more... dunno...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2011 12:49pm

Style: Karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I suspect that most bullies have seen enough of the UFC to know that BJJ students actually fight and that they can find better prey among the mcdojo krotty kids.

Posted On:
    8/27/2011 1:10pm

Style: BJJ+Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most bullies are watching more WWE than MMA.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2011 1:38pm

Style: Karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    Most bullies are watching more WWE than MMA.
    I think these guys are too nerdy to be bullies.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    8/27/2011 1:50pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought the 5 day program was more of a day camp. It isn't like 5 hour long classes. Its 5 DAYS.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast