Sponsored Links Spacer Image

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 3:41pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I never said I hurt them before they hurt me. I said I "totally dominate [them] (so I don't get hurt)" There are plenty of ways for an experienced player to dominate someone without hurting them. They unfortunately won't learn a lot while going through a tap parade or desperately trying to claw their way out of my guard.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 3:45pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    This means you will spend time tapping not learning.
    This is another thing that may seperate the intolerable noob (fish outta water) spazzers from the noob that uses too much strength/tenacity. learning to tap.

Theres the noob that thinks he can get out and will think he successfully escaped when really you were just showing mercy to the poor guy, he escapes and thinks he's done good. At this point I think its ok to show the damn noob why subs work.

If they ARE tapping, than likely are learningsomething. If I get caught with something, I become very interested in how it was done, how to apply the lock and how to escape it.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 3:56pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Apparently, you know a lot regarding this thread then. Whiteshark is correct, of course.

Ben
    I've failed a lot. I've suceeded a lot. I'm not sure if that was a shot at me but congrats on backing up a forum-friend

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 3:58pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    upon reading op, no he was not talking about hurting the noobs.

Spazzers cause injuries, telling them to stop is pretty much what I was saying, grapple them with control or don't grapple them at all.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 4:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GIburner View Post
    I've failed a lot. I've suceeded a lot. I'm not sure if that was a shot at me but congrats on backing up a forum-friend
    I've failed a lot too. If I agree with someone I back them up whether they are my friend or not.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 4:03pm

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The more experienced belts can have a big part in helping the noobs along too though.

I often tell a white belt to work on one thing - pass my guard, or stand back up from here for example. It gives them a focus, rather than trying to smashsubmit.

I had a fat whitebelt get me in a headlock and he kept asking if I was tapping. "Nope, you can't finish from there" was my response. So he'd grunt and try the same stupid **** even harder. By the time he got tired of squeezing my cranium it was quite easy to put him on his back and show him how to properly finish.
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 4:58pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    No, with proper instruction and guidance, they won't spaz, and if you tell them to stop, they usually will. If you just throw raw whitebelts in with the general group and ignore them, then they may well spaz.
    yes we will spaz....I have enough friends who are higher level that I was warned to go 50% because of being fat and don't want to accidentally hurt my betters. I joined the regular class and learn moves, drill and then roll. I spaz from time to time. I am in the learn while failing thing. I probably have some privates in my future because I feel that I am not progressing as fast as I would like to. Either that or going to a school with a true beginners class.

I appreciate the advice...it is exactly what my friends have said.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 5:40pm

Style: MMA-Aikido-Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Likewise in Aikido. Alot of the locks are such that the more you try to resist/tense/be a macho idiot, the more painful it will be and the more likely you are to get something broken when partnered with someone who knows how to execute the technique correctly. Not to mention, with all that tensing they tend to forget about the ukemi they have to take out of it and end up faceplanting.

SO frustrating when they look at me like I'm a terrible person for actually performing the technique I was instructed to perform!! Especially after I have politely warned them of the consequences of spazzing!!!

@tao.jonez: I've had the same thing happen to me several times with shoulder pins. If I'm telling you that the technique is not right/cannot be corrected from your current position then why on earth would you continue to do the same thing with more force?! I don't understand it!!
    Last edited by Jazz.w92; 4/11/2011 5:46pm at .

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 6:13pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To the people that are "defending" spazzing. It is NOT required to learn Jiu Jitsu. It is NOT your classmates' responsibility to tell you not to be a spazz. It is entirely on you to relax and absorb knowledge and technique.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 6:59pm

Style: 10thP/BJJ/Wrestling/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is a big difference between someone not knowing technique and trying to muscle through a sweep (because they don't know any better) and someone just spazzing out and trying to gouge/crank/smash everything and anything they can get their hands on. One of those things is acceptable if you're a beginner and one isn't. Guess which one it is.

People will often try to mask lack of skill with aggression, and that is often an excellent way to cause injuries on both parties. I try to give new people some slack and politely let them figure out that going all "Hulk smash" doesn't work even against a pretty low level blue belt (me), and it definitely won't work against anybody above me. If they don't get that point then I'll just frustrate the hell out of them by stuffing everything they try and making them spend the next five minutes flailing away under my side control or in my guard. I generally don't even worry about tapping them, I'll just make them really uncomfortable and won't give an inch on anything. I find that either those people get the message and try to tone it down and learn something, or they quit/leave.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast