Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2011 11:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Conde Koma View Post
    ...i'm still not totally over the whole "chinese people can't handle democracy" thing, though.
    Are you joking because I'm pretty sure that quote was taken completely out of context. From everything I heard it was taken from a discussion about the direction movies in China were headed not about the government.

Anyway, Jackie is on of my favorite stars. Most of the time when I see *insert celebrity name here* raises money or goes on a trip to a place to raise awareness it really gets on my nerves as it comes across as a publicity stunt. He is one of the few celebrities that I never get that feeling from.

Also, if we are linking youtube videos with Jackie Chan fight scenes then I feel obligated to to post this one.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2011 11:47pm

Style: Shotokan, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    In Chan Kong Sang's honor, here is his best fight sequence, in the best movie he ever made.

1975 Hand of Death

Been hit and lost consciousness

1978 Drunken Master

Eyebrow bone hurt, eye corner bloodied

1978 Snake In Eagle’s Shadow

Kicked and lost a teeth; arm injured by a sword with lost of blood

1980 Young Master

Nose bone broken; almost lost breath and died from a palm hit on the throat by a movie opponent

1982 Dragon Lord

Lower jaw hit

1983 Project A

Neck bone seriously injured; nose bone broken

1985 The Protector

Hand and finger bones hurt

1985 Police Story

The 6th to 8th section of the spine and the pelvis hit and shifted position, almost paralyzed

1986 Armour of God

Brain hemorrhage, skull near left ear sunk, broken bones inside skull - most deadly injury

1990 Armour of God II: Operation Condor

Breastbone cracked and shifted

1992 Police Story III: Supercop

Cheekbone hit and shifted

1993 City Hunter

Knee injured; right shoulder sprained and dislocated

1993 Crime Story

Sprain thigh

1994 Rumble In The Bronx

Foot bone cracked; toe bone pierced the skin and exposed

1995 Thunderbolt

Foot bone cracked

1996 Police Story IV: First Strike

Mouth cracked

1997 Mr. Nice Guy

Nose hurt while jumping down a bridge; Fell from height and hurt neck bone

1998 Who Am I

Left-side ribs hurt; ankle hurt

2001 Accidental Spy

Tail bone cartilage hurt and resulted in lower body temporarily paralyzed

2002 The Medallion

Face below eye hurt and bloodied

2006 Rob-B-Hood

Chest bone hit by a stuntman wearing wrong shoes with cartilage damage

http://jc-news.net/articles.php?id=69
    and that's why Jackie Chan is a motherfuckin badass.

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    6/21/2011 2:49am

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Himura View Post
    Are you joking because I'm pretty sure that quote was taken completely out of context. From everything I heard it was taken from a discussion about the direction movies in China were headed not about the government.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0..._n_188541.html
    when he was asked to discuss censorship and restrictions on filmmakers in China. He expanded his comments to include society.

"I'm not sure if it's good to have freedom or not," Chan said. "I'm really confused now. If you're too free, you're like the way Hong Kong is now. It's very chaotic. Taiwan is also chaotic."

Chan added: "I'm gradually beginning to feel that we Chinese need to be controlled. If we're not being controlled, we'll just do what we want."
    if you can find the original forum notes or video, i'm sure we could find someone to translate it. in any case, i'm not a fan of his because of his political beliefs, i'm a fan of his films and that's it.
    Fight Film Friday
    Watching violence on film, violently.
    Click here to donate!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2011 4:43am

Style: BJJ n stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Even more amazing than still doing his own stunts at his age is being able to perform at that high a level carrying all of those serious injuries he accrued over his career. Definitely a living legend and very cool that he is philanthropist too.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2011 12:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if you can find the original forum notes or video, i'm sure we could find someone to translate it. in any case, i'm not a fan of his because of his political beliefs, i'm a fan of his films and that's it.
    Ah, it isn't a quotation issue so much as it is a difference in how we interpret that quote.

" when he was asked to discuss censorship and restrictions on filmmakers in China. He expanded his comments to include society."

Remove the part where it says he expanded his comments to include society because that is the reporters opinion not based on the actual quote from Jackie, and you just have Jackie answering a question about allowing freedom in film which would make sense considering the topic is about censorship of film.

I ignored the reporter's personal opinion about the subject being expanded because there is nothing to indicate that Jackie ever expanded the subject outside of film. The question was about freedom in film, and he answered talking about his distaste of where freedom in film has lead the Hong Kong and Taiwan film industry.

It is my personal opinion that it is more likely the reporter added the bit about Jackie expanding it to society as a whole to either stir up interest in his article or fit the agenda of his newspaper. I never saw anything in Jackie's quote to indicate that he moved on from the subject of film.

Also, the list of injuries Jackie Chan has gone through only to show back up on set and keep filming make me feel as if I'm spending too much time online. I think I'm going to go do some pushups. Running a fever is no excuse for not working out.

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    6/21/2011 2:04pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "I'm not sure if it's good to have freedom or not," Chan said. "I'm really confused now. If you're too free, you're like the way Hong Kong is now. It's very chaotic. Taiwan is also chaotic."

Chan added: "I'm gradually beginning to feel that we Chinese need to be controlled. If we're not being controlled, we'll just do what we want."

Chan said the problem with Chinese youth is that "they like other people's things. They don't like their own things." Young people need to spend more time developing their own style, he added.

The action hero complained that Chinese goods still have too many quality problems. He became emotional when discussing contaminated milk powder that sickened tens of thousands of Chinese babies in the past year.

Speaking fast with his voice rising, Chan said, "If I need to buy a TV, I'll definitely buy a Japanese TV. A Chinese TV might explode."
    he was talking about hong kong and taiwan and chinese people as a whole, not just the film industry. not sure how you're not getting that, even removing the author's "opinion." it's okay to disagree with people you like, or are you so invested in chan as an idol you can't do that?
    Fight Film Friday
    Click here to donate!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2011 2:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    he was talking about hong kong and taiwan and chinese people as a whole, not just the film industry. not sure how you're not getting that, even removing the author's "opinion." it's okay to disagree with people you like, or are you so invested in chan as an idol you can't do that?
    I don't know. I wish there was a video of it so we could have the whole thing in context translated in a question and answer format vs the article format so we can clearly see answers to questions and not quotes that could be placed out of context.

It isn't that Jackie Chan is my idol so much that it is the fact that I worked for a newspaper for 4 years, and I became inherently distrustful in the way articles and quotations are often handled when they are used in an article of this nature. That is why I prefer unedited video or a straight this was my question and this was his answer to this question format. I can't begin to count the number of complaints the newspaper received when I worked there because people were misrepresented. Technically the newspaper never did anything wrong, but the slant put on the articles and the way quotes were used often created massive misunderstandings from what the people meant. It sold papers, but it never made us many friends.

I could see how this article could have used the same tactic had they wished to do so at least this is the way the translation that I read came across to me. This is why I'm more likely to agree with Chan's representative when they said it was about the entertainment industry and not society as a whole. It is hard to say which is true without the direct question and statement format as the TV remark could have come from another question not related to entertainment. Though, I would be inclined to agree with his assessment of the quality of Chinese goods.

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    6/21/2011 3:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks for getting me to look this up further. took some digging, but here it is.

i don't know how good your chinese is, but there's a translation in the description and in this blog post: http://cfensi.wordpress.com/2009/04/...talking-about/

that said, i don't fully agree with the way this person has translated it or interpreted it. he's definitely talking about more than just the film industry, but there isn't as much about "democracy" specifically. more like just about chinese culture being reckless or immature, which i also disagree with. not as clearcut as the huff article would lead you to believe, though, so you're right about that.
    Fight Film Friday
    Click here to donate!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123