Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    4/12/2011 2:12pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The control is obtained by pulling on the sleeves while you push on the biceps with your feet. It can be VERY unbalancing. The variation I use when people stand up is with my feet on their hips, where again you push into them with your legs, while pulling on the sleeves. I get overhead sweeps from there and transition to sickle sweeps, leg hook guard and the associated sweeps, and an array of other things, or I can transition to the collar grip and work on the chokes. In practice, it works great, in competition it worked on the bigger, slower opponent but I was never able to put it together against the little guys. Need MOAR PRACTICE!

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    4/12/2011 5:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    The control is obtained by pulling on the sleeves while you push on the biceps with your feet. It can be VERY unbalancing. The variation I use when people stand up is with my feet on their hips, where again you push into them with your legs, while pulling on the sleeves. I get overhead sweeps from there and transition to sickle sweeps, leg hook guard and the associated sweeps, and an array of other things, or I can transition to the collar grip and work on the chokes. In practice, it works great, in competition it worked on the bigger, slower opponent but I was never able to put it together against the little guys. Need MOAR PRACTICE!
    We all need more practice, good luck with it. I'm curious as to why you chose that guard option. Not criticizing, I can understand what you have explained, but admit not using or knowing how to use Spider Guard instead of something simpler. Not looking for exposition on Spider Guard, just your personal reasons.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    4/12/2011 6:54pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mostly because it lets me use my much stronger legs to keep heavier people off of me in the gym. A lot of training partners are 200lbs and up and it takes a LOT of work to play closed guard or butterfly with them, so I fall back to positions where I can keep their weight on my legs. It kind of evolved out of putting my feet on peoples hips to keep them away at first, then moved on to full blown spider guard. But it's not the guard I prefer to use against guys my size. I prefer butterfly for that, but for various reasons I don't actually get to PLAY butterfly that often in my gym.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    4/12/2011 7:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I'm short with short legs, big difference in what you can do to keep guys at bay. Hopefully you can end up with some guys your size to train with, otherwise it will be tough in any sort of regular weight division. Thanks for the explanation!

I tend to use a one in and one out kind of open guard, or both feet on their hips, whichever fits the moment the best.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12