Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 9:13am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Lutador Grappling 4/9/2011Videos

So, my videos from Lutador are posted up over at my training log along with the writeup of the event itself.

Check 'em out, hit me with feedback, hate on me, whatever.
    For those who are too lazy to click on more than one link here are the direct links to the videos:

Advanced No-Gi

Masters Blue Belt

Blue Belt Absolute Match 1

Blue Belt Absolute Match 2

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 9:55am

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Absolute Match 1:

"wtf, this guy isn't doing anything...guess I'll roll hi....um, I think he's dead."

On the losses, it's tough to be the small guy. Good hips and crazy legs, so nice work. Question though - why pull guard and go to your back when you're the smaller dude? For me it's tough as hell to get out from under the bigger guys.
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 10:05am

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Honestly, with the bigger guys I am WAY more comfortable on my back working. My game plan is geared towards them because that's who I roll with in the gym. I have a better feel for their body mechanics, etc...
    With the guys closer to my weight I just don't have the same feel for it. I rarely roll with any really skilled guys my size, so when I run into them I'm not prepared for the kind of game they play. I KNEW I could beat that guy in the first absolute match. 100%. I've done it hundreds of times to guys just like him. The rest of them, I had no idea what to really expect from a guy my size playing against me.

That's one of the reasons I'm trying to build some trips to Alliance HQ into my schedule. There are more high level guys my size up there for me to work against.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 10:13am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kin, you've got to learn to switch up your grapple game in no gi. You never controlled the guys posture either. You almost did it once at 2:07 as you reached for the Kimura but that was a low percentage maneuver given the situation. If you feint getting to your feet you can draw them deeper into your guard and control their hips. Then you can switch to lockdowns and deep half transitions.

Besides that not bad.

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 10:24am

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yah, I actually made that point to myself about 2 weeks before the tournament, that I was no longer working to control posture in no-gi as aggressively as I should be. That and side control work are both my top priorities going forward after seeing this.
    Though in my defense, that guy has been a purple belt for 1.5 years and took 1st or 2nd in the division with one of his team mates.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 11:07am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    Yah, I actually made that point to myself about 2 weeks before the tournament, that I was no longer working to control posture in no-gi as aggressively as I should be. That and side control work are both my top priorities going forward after seeing this.
    Though in my defense, that guy has been a purple belt for 1.5 years and took 1st or 2nd in the division with one of his team mates.
    Understood, may I suggest a fake shot off your back to control hips anyway?

Posted On:
    4/11/2011 11:19am

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's definitely something I'll add into my arsenal and start practicing.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    4/12/2011 11:06am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't really comment on no gi, and I'm a judo guy, so you can take this with a grain of salt regarding the gi matches.

You kept getting your guard passed. I looked to me like you need to work on using the jacket to control your opponents better. The double sleeve or one handed (?) grip was not very effective, and you didn't combine the use of your legs and arms effectively in open guard.

I see you don't get to work with guys your size/level much. They are more mobile and need to be controlled more, as you have less time to react to their attempts to pass. Increased control will help with bigger guys as well, with due care given to not getting smashed, something I'm sure you are familiar with from bigger guys.

I like to use the same sided grip sleeve and lapel, controlling their lead arm and pulling their head down in open guard. I find it works pretty well against larger and smaller guys. On smaller guys, you can slow them down and keep them from passing and/or sweep, and on larger guys you can scoot out to the side and get on their back or to your deep half guard.

In any case, nice work, the choke out was great, that takes a lot of skill to pull off.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    4/12/2011 11:14am

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My primary control method in Gi is spider guard and spider guard variations, and I never seemed to be able to get to it against the two smaller guys in Gi. Not sure what about them made it so difficult, but I just couldn't seem to put together any control against them.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    4/12/2011 1:55pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    My primary control method in Gi is spider guard and spider guard variations, and I never seemed to be able to get to it against the two smaller guys in Gi. Not sure what about them made it so difficult, but I just couldn't seem to put together any control against them.
    So that is what that is called, Spider guard. It looks like a type of guard that requires a lot of skill, mobility, and sensitivity to use to achieve/maintain control. makes sense because you are controlling sleeve ends only and not closer to the core of their upper body. Kind of like a double sleeve grip in Judo.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast