Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/13/2011 8:10am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by captainbirdseye View Post
    Damn, now i know why you hate jujitsukas so much. I'd heard WJJF was a joke but I thought that was down to a possibly insane head rather than this.
    I don't hate Jujitsu people, per se, I just dislike bullshit and dicking about whilst being super serious about it, calling it a martial art and flogging it as 'self defence'.

That pisses me off.

Especially to girls who are clearly already slightly vulnerable(note not talking about OP) and then giving them a false sense of safety and ability. That I hate.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/13/2011 11:59am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    OP is at the university of St. Andrews in, St. Andrews. She's nowhere near Edinburgh.

Also the club there is a WJJF club, which teach this larping faggotry:

I love the bit where after landing all the 'deadly' strikes, he kindly folds the guys legs for him and then whilst crouched does a snap kick to the guys face at 1:07. LOl!

Or at 2:35 when the attacker puts himself in a leglock as part of his 'deadly attack' sequence.

Here choice is that bullshit or learning Judo under a competitive female German dan grade.

The answer is a no brainer, go do the Judo.
    The thing that I find most sad about that video you posted is that it looks to me like there are a lot of useful, applicable, and cool techniques hidden within what they are doing. It's just that they are training in what I characterize as a useless way, just completely cooperative with no resistance so it's basically pure demonstration or a dance.

Anyway, it made me think that perhaps JJJ can be "saved" if some experienced people simply change the training methods, i.e. put on MMA gloves and spar hard at the end of every class. I think it would be cool to take one art that has striking and grappling included.

Do any of you think there is anything left there in JJJ to be saved, or is it no, just train Judo if you want to throw, BJJ if you want to ground grapple, and a pure striking art if you want to strike?

Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/13/2011 12:07pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh and to the OP I would say regardless of what you train in, remember that you do in fact have natural physical advantages so focus on them instead of the negatives. For example people in the thread have rightly pointed out that a female is almost always going to be less physically strong than a male of equal size weight.

However, being small gives you a low center of gravity, very helpful, and also as a female you will almost always have wider hips than a man which gives you greater stability in addition to your lower center of gravity. Men with their wider shoulders and stronger upper bodies are more top-heavy than women; a female has the majority of her muscle mass below the hips, so again good leg strength, stability, and low center of gravity, all excellent physical advantages.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    4/13/2011 1:19pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Running away.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz.w92 View Post
    Through a couple martial arts camps I've had a chance to try out Judo and Jujitsu and I liked the combativeness of both. I'm thinking I'd prefer to do Judo because I like grappling and I'm pretty decent at it for my size (5'0, 112lbs) but I'm worried that I'll either be treated too delicately because I'll be seen as a tiny girl (at least initially) or that I just won't be able to accomplish anything training with a bunch of massive guys. Has anyone else had a similar problem? How did you deal with it? Which style do you think would be more practical?
    Judoka benefit from having a low center of gravity, so you should definately be able to be quite capable of applying it effectively. My old judo dojo was very gender-friendly and gave everyone, regardless of size, a fair chance at hard mat time; however my instructor learned at the Kodokan, and might not have been representative of most clubs. I simply have no idea.

I personally hate hard sparring against women in practice, because it's ingrained in us not to be mean to women from a very young age, but I'm sure you'll find plenty of serious students who do their best to overcome such notions in a proper dojo.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    4/13/2011 1:19pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    I routinely get flopped all around the mat by smaller people.
    In addition to this, some of the most difficult fights I have ever had, have all been smaller people, with the exception of this one ex-rugby brawler guy who made me look like a midget. That's a different story.
    Apparently aikidoka soccer mom's were not too brutal, though, eh?

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/13/2011 1:23pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Apparently aikidoka soccer mom's were not too brutal, though, eh?

Ben
    I wouldn't mind being abused by an Aikidoka soccer mom...

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    4/13/2011 1:39pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Deliverator View Post
    I wouldn't mind being abused by an Aikidoka soccer mom...
    Get thee to an aikido dojo, then.

There once was an aikido dojo,
    So full of hot aikidoka,
    When Deliverator arrived on scene,
    He creamed his jeans with a startled "Oh Ho"

You may shoot me now.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2011 1:42pm

Style: JJJ/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyway, it made me think that perhaps JJJ can be "saved" if some experienced people simply change the training methods, i.e. put on MMA gloves and spar hard at the end of every class. I think it would be cool to take one art that has striking and grappling included.

Do any of you think there is anything left there in JJJ to be saved, or is it no, just train Judo if you want to throw, BJJ if you want to ground grapple, and a pure striking art if you want to strike?
    I'd hope so, as it's something I do.

But as a caveat, my instructors also hold dan rank in Judo and I crosstrain in BJJ, in fact the school holds a number of classes (MMA, JJJ, Muay Thai and Karate) and there is a lot of cross pollinisation between them.

Of course, this is kind of what you suggested and is why it works, but it's our experiences with more alive arts that makes our JJJ more alive. From what i've heard of the WJJF this is unlikely to happen.

I also have no idea what their emphasis on striking is, but my school is mainly ne waza orientated and we do hardly any striking at all.

Posted On:
    4/13/2011 1:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WJJF is not Japanese. It is a British composite style developed by Robert Clarke
    Last edited by DCS; 4/13/2011 1:47pm at . Reason: typo

Posted On:
    4/13/2011 1:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A JJJ third dan was at a Judo session I went to once. He had a really weird belt, it was black but had what looked like the matsuru dragon in gold and red on it repreatedly all over the belt.

He was utterly clueless on the ground and sat out for the whole of the standing randori. Never saw him there again.
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 23456 7891016 ... LastLast