Our Sponsors:

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345 678915 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/12/2011 5:36pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not at all. I'm barely above average strength for an athlete my size--and that's my best athletic quality. If physical ability were qualified like IQ, I'd be considered slow.

Anyway, it's just a matter of reality about strength. Women are on average weaker than comparably sized men-and usually significantly so. It's most apparent in upper body strength.

Posted On:
    4/12/2011 5:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    OOOO, but you are such a strong an big man.

Ben
    Yeh but when you Te guruma him, at least you know for definite what you get a handful of.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    4/12/2011 6:55pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Yeh but when you Te guruma him, at least you know for definite what you get a handful of.
    LOL, you never forget, do you?

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    4/12/2011 6:57pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata View Post
    Not at all. I'm barely above average strength for an athlete my size--and that's my best athletic quality. If physical ability were qualified like IQ, I'd be considered slow.

Anyway, it's just a matter of reality about strength. Women are on average weaker than comparably sized men-and usually significantly so. It's most apparent in upper body strength.
    Really? I wonder how many guys walking down the street, on average, can deadlift 400 lbs?

In any case,of course you are correct.

Ben

Posted On:
    4/12/2011 7:20pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    180kg deadlift at 88kg is pretty good. I max out at 330lb at 215lb.

Mind you, I've met a lot of people who can put up more than me in the gym who's numbers do them no good on the mat and they tell me I 'feel strong'.

But still women are in general weaker than men. That's not really news.

Though like Ben I have done Judo with women who were remarkably strong for their size. When I was a kyu grade I was thrown by a girl when she was in prep stages for going to the Junior world champs. I still cry myself to sleep about that.
    :okay:

Posted On:
    4/12/2011 8:57pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    180kg deadlift at 88kg is pretty good. I max out at 330lb at 215lb.

Mind you, I've met a lot of people who can put up more than me in the gym who's numbers do them no good on the mat and they tell me I 'feel strong'.

But still women are in general weaker than men. That's not really news.

Though like Ben I have done Judo with women who were remarkably strong for their size. When I was a kyu grade I was thrown by a girl when she was in prep stages for going to the Junior world champs. I still cry myself to sleep about that.
    :okay:
    LOL, I used to go to the OTC and train their when my coach was training. The 48 kg women were brutal to my tender brown belt ego. The women closer to my size (65 kg) tatami raped me repeatedly.

I did some randori with visiting teams their when I went to act as a table worker/technical official for the US Open. The men wouldn't bother with me, but the women saw enough challenge to go with me. These were teams from Cuba, Venezuela, Australia, etc. I got generally slaughtered pretty much. One Australian woman nearly broke my ribs doing Osoto Gari Uchikomi, I think she was -63 kg?

Anyway, the level of athleticism and technical ability at that level is almost unimaginable, as you know, unless you experience it first hand.

I did get therapy and counseling, so the crying spells have just about stopped now.

Ben

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    4/12/2011 9:04pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I routinely get flopped all around the mat by smaller people.
    In addition to this, some of the most difficult fights I have ever had, have all been smaller people, with the exception of this one ex-rugby brawler guy who made me look like a midget. That's a different story.

Posted On:
    4/12/2011 9:23pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    LOL, I used to go to the OTC and train their when my coach was training. The 48 kg women were brutal to my tender brown belt ego. The women closer to my size (65 kg) tatami raped me repeatedly.

I did some randori with visiting teams their when I went to act as a table worker/technical official for the US Open. The men wouldn't bother with me, but the women saw enough challenge to go with me. These were teams from Cuba, Venezuela, Australia, etc. I got generally slaughtered pretty much. One Australian woman nearly broke my ribs doing Osoto Gari Uchikomi, I think she was -63 kg?

Anyway, the level of athleticism and technical ability at that level is almost unimaginable, as you know, unless you experience it first hand.

I did get therapy and counseling, so the crying spells have just about stopped now.

Ben
    Have never been injured by a girl and the girl who threw me was a -78kg player. I'm probably too big and heavy at 6ft and +200lbs for most girls to manhandle.

I've done randori with girls who were nationally ranked in france for their weight category -63 and -57, but they couldn't throw me. Although they weren't walk overs.

As with anything if there's a 30kg/ 66lb weight difference, so you would expect the girls to struggle to throw me. I struggle to throw men with a 30kg weight difference.

Registered Member

The Land Of Processed Meat And Internet Trolls

Posted On:
    4/13/2011 7:47am

Style: Karate, Boxing, BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz.w92 View Post
    So I was introduced to martial arts at about 4 yrs old when I started Karate. I kept up with it until I came to uni (and was disappointed with the **** club they have here) and picked up a few others (Aikido, KB and Capoeira).
    I love Aikido and as far as Aiki clubs go I think we're pretty good with maximising on practicality and realistic-ness. We do lots of ukemi as well which is great. However, because of the wide range of skill level/willingness to really throw and be thrown, I'll often go an entire session without breaking a sweat which is a problem because I'm the kind of person that needs to get a few bruises and sore muscles every so often to feel like I'm really doing/learning something.
    Through a couple martial arts camps I've had a chance to try out Judo and Jujitsu and I liked the combativeness of both. I'm thinking I'd prefer to do Judo because I like grappling and I'm pretty decent at it for my size (5'0, 112lbs) but I'm worried that I'll either be treated too delicately because I'll be seen as a tiny girl (at least initially) or that I just won't be able to accomplish anything training with a bunch of massive guys. Has anyone else had a similar problem? How did you deal with it? Which style do you think would be more practical?
    My girlfriend is a tiny little thing and had some experiences in judo. She said it was fun, but her family just didn't have the money for it. I'm thinking of trying judo out for myself, it has all of the things my taijutsu training didn't. I suggest judo based off personal training with judoka pals and from what the folks here at Bullshido experienced.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2011 8:01am

Style: JJJ/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also the club there is a WJJF club, which teach this larping faggotry:
    Damn, now i know why you hate jujitsukas so much. I'd heard WJJF was a joke but I thought that was down to a possibly insane head rather than this.
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345 678915 ... LastLast