You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    4/12/2011 9:30am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Josh View Post
    Horrible advice from the first sentence to the last. All I will say in reference to that is Mifune Sensei.
    So you think she should take the easy option and go with the jujutsu guys? I suppose the BBQs, cocktail nights and pub sessions they have listed on their website do look fun.

Posted On:
    4/12/2011 9:31am

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My club doesn't have any women, unfortunately. However, when I get to train at seminars or other dojos, I'm always quite impressed by the women who take it seriously. They tend to have better technique and be more technical than than men at their level, and I suspect its because they're less strong and less likely to rely too much on strength early on. They're also less likely to be macho and ego-driven.

(Mifune was small but pretty jacked in his younger days, actually.)

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    4/12/2011 11:38am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    We already have Russia!
    Yes, brilliant coup getting Comrade Putin into power, simply brilliant. Sambo may never recover.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    4/12/2011 11:44am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    This St. Andrews uni video popped up on my facebook today. I think it adds vital context to the discussion

Wow, you really have a deep voice! I bet that water was pretty damned cold, too!

Ben

Posted On:
    4/12/2011 3:31pm

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    Plenty of girls your size involved in both Judo and BJJ (Avoid the traditional JJ if you actually want to pick up some bruises and sweat and whatnot). Check out BJJ Grrls Blog for links to all kinds of great resources for female grapplers.
    Speaking for myself (a bloke) I got home from training last night both knackered and bloody sore. I woke up this morning completely 'cream crackered' (Cockney rhyming slang for, er, "very tired and very sore'. I was in Essex where you get HIT - cos that's how they train.

Trad JJ in the UK can be "very Hands-On". As the OP is in Edinburgh, she could quite easily seek out the Scottish Ju Jitsu Association. They're up there somewhere.

Morag (forgive me, please) can do whatever she likes Judo/Trad JJ or both. It depends on what's available near her. OTOH, Edinburgh...hmmm...have you tried Rick Young? Trained amateur boxer, trained in Judo, Kali Adept under Dan Inosanto, amongst the first Brit BJJ Black Belts. If you can, seek him out. Good luck.

Posted On:
    4/12/2011 3:41pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata View Post
    My club doesn't have any women, unfortunately. However, when I get to train at seminars or other dojos, I'm always quite impressed by the women who take it seriously. They tend to have better technique and be more technical than than men at their level, and I suspect its because they're less strong and less likely to rely too much on strength early on. They're also less likely to be macho and ego-driven.

(Mifune was small but pretty jacked in his younger days, actually.)
    I dont know about the less strong thing. I rolled with a couple of female black belts in Canada recently, both about my size, and no way was I going to overpower either of them with my supposedly superior strength. One woman was my age (48) and she was plenty strong.

Of course, on average, women in the general population will be less strong than men. On the other hand, a small guy like me is not as strong as a lot of the judoka I compete or work out with.

Ben

Posted On:
    4/12/2011 4:01pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On average, women are less strong than men than men of equal size. It's just the way things are -- testosterone, body fat percentage, number of muscle fibers, etc. And women are, on average, smaller than men.

In shape, I'm about 195 and my deadlift is in the low 400s. There are a handful of women in the world who can deadlift that much; I'm not even close to being the strongest guy in my dojo, let alone my gym.

Posted On:
    4/12/2011 4:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hardon View Post
    Trad JJ in the UK can be "very Hands-On". As the OP is in Edinburgh, she could quite easily seek out the Scottish Ju Jitsu Association. They're up there somewhere.
    OP is at the university of St. Andrews in, St. Andrews. She's nowhere near Edinburgh.

Also the club there is a WJJF club, which teach this larping faggotry:

I love the bit where after landing all the 'deadly' strikes, he kindly folds the guys legs for him and then whilst crouched does a snap kick to the guys face at 1:07. LOl!

Or at 2:35 when the attacker puts himself in a leglock as part of his 'deadly attack' sequence.

Here choice is that bullshit or learning Judo under a competitive female German dan grade.

The answer is a no brainer, go do the Judo.
    Last edited by judoka_uk; 4/12/2011 4:53pm at .

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    4/12/2011 5:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The point of my post was not that women can't do judo because they are weak, that is clearly not true. The point was that as a small woman, the OP is going to face a fair bit of frustration starting out, but should stick it out as it will be worth it in the end.

Posted On:
    4/12/2011 5:19pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata View Post
    On average, women are less strong than men than men of equal size. It's just the way things are -- testosterone, body fat percentage, number of muscle fibers, etc. And women are, on average, smaller than men.

In shape, I'm about 195 and my deadlift is in the low 400s. There are a handful of women in the world who can deadlift that much; I'm not even close to being the strongest guy in my dojo, let alone my gym.
    OOOO, but you are such a strong an big man.

Ben
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast